DVDVR Message Board

[TV] REST OF THE SUMMER 2018 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I'd like a 10-20 minute special every 5 years of Raylan and Boyd's banter in prison as they both age,

The Adventures of Wynn Duffy is also right there.  

Now I absolutely want a Better Call Saul-esque Adventures of Wynn Duffy prequel series and my life will be incomplete without it.  

• Like 2

On 7/20/2018 at 5:29 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I was 100% over SoA by the end, but I stuck with it out of obligation to someone I was watching it with. My one positive memory of that final season: Jimmy Smits' character reacting to a phone call he's receiving from Jax. We know what Jax his telling him about Gemma, but we can't hear that side of the conversation. So all we can see is Smits reacting to the heartbreaking news and Sagal processing Smits' reaction. A+ scene.

And while I love Vic's confession in the Shield, I may be a bigger fan of the scene in the final episode where Claudette brings Vic into the interrogation room one last time, shows him some photos, and rubs his face in what she condescendingly refers to as "what the hero left on his way out the door." A++

Just got to that scene in my rewatch of SOA and man, I didn't appreciate it before.  Gemma's realization combined with Smit's facial expressions were amazing.  Despite the story being all over the place, there were some great performances on this show.

On 7/27/2018 at 11:56 AM, Craig H said:

Anyone I liked got murdered, like Bobby or Tara. I basically hate watched the last two seasons. I think I'm even more annoyed that the final seasons weren't even as bad as Dexter's.

Man, that series...

Now, for a palette cleanser:

The ONLY way this would have better is if he pulled the tablecloth at a more random part of the countdown, like at 6. This is such a Raylan thing to do though.

I've always been partial to the scene where he beats up Duffy, tosses a bullet at him and says, "Next one's comin' faster."

• Like 1

Its only week 2, and it IS reality TV, but I'm enjoying MIZ & MRS. I dig Mike Mizanin (I didn't when he 'debut'd' like 20 years ago) and this does a cool job of capturing both 'real' Miz and the chemistry he and Maryse have. 

• Like 2

• RIPPA changed the title to [TV] REST OF THE SUMMER 2018 DISCUSSION
27 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Steven Moffat's adaptation of The Time Traveler's Wife has gotten a series order from HBO

I will be the thousandth person to make the "Geez, he really must be obsessed with River Song, huh?" joke.

I haven't seen anything on here. But is anyone else into The Sinner?

First season is on Netflix. It's great. Jessica Biel of all people hits it out of the park. The second season just started on USA last night. First episode is mesmerizing. 

Fox is developing two 24 spinoff shows

One will be a Jack Bauer origin story

One will be a "legal thriller"

Regarding the legal thriller spin-off, a deviation from the series’ usual plots but keeping the same format, Newman said: “The idea of moving the franchise from terrorism and security into the legal world is something we talked about as far back as season 3 or 4 of 24 where, from time to time, there would be discussions of spinoffs. You have to look for an arena where the stakes are high and time matters. [The legal version of 24] deals with an execution of a prisoner and there are just 24 hours left until the execution is supposed to take place. So the stakes are high and it potentially has a lot of the same values of the original 24. Regardless of the political climate, the times always right for a show of that type.”

Seeing EVA just reminded me of something...

Did anyone else watch the newest season of Last Chance U? Holy shit. I thought Jason Brown was a huge piece of shit. If you go off of the editing alone, it doesn't look like he knows fuck all about football. Again, that's what the editing makes it look like, but I'd imagine he's at least a little more talented than just being a dude who screams at his players and staff constantly. I wouldn't have worked for that asshole though and I sure as shit wouldn't have worked for him for free like their QB coach did.

• Like 1