DVDVR Message Board

[TV] REST OF THE SUMMER 2018 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

15 hours ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I mentioned the 1st series of Get Shorty in the June thread, I finished it over the weekend; it is really, really fucking good. It's one of those shows where you're depressed when the series finishes. 

I am waiting for the free Epix weekend to roll around again on FiOS so that I can binge watch this and Deep State which is totally fucking awesome.

I do not understand how by boo can watch the medical procedures on Skin Tight without being grossed out, but one frog jumping around on the sidewalk will send her into a panic.

I've been watching WAY too many baking shows lately.  The Great British Baking Show, Best Baker in America and Zumbo's Just Desserts - all of which are really good.

I am going to get so fat(ter) learning to make mirror glazes.  

22 minutes ago, CSC said:

I've been watching WAY too many baking shows lately.  The Great British Baking Show, Best Baker in America and Zumbo's Just Desserts - all of which are really good.

I am going to get so fat(ter) learning to make mirror glazes.  

Speaking of food television, I find the opening credits to Katie Lee's Beach Bites insulting to anyone who finds women attractive.  I'm not saying that she's unattractive, I'm saying that the way they present her and her attractiveness couldn't be less attractive.   It really feels like what would happen if a 9 year old tried to make a bikini video featuring his girlfriend.  It just comes off as awkward, inappropriate, and the opposite of sexy.  

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

Speaking of food television, I find the opening credits to Katie Lee's Beach Bites insulting to anyone who finds women attractive.  I'm not saying that she's unattractive, I'm saying that the way they present her and her attractiveness couldn't be less attractive.   It really feels like what would happen if a 9 year old tried to make a bikini video featuring his girlfriend.  It just comes off as awkward, inappropriate, and the opposite of sexy.  

It really does scream "let's get the person with the highest metabolism possible to host this". Not that every person that hosts a food show needs to look like they eat a lot, but when you wonder where all the calories go it's kind of disconcerting. This is my opinion just based on the commercial, I haven't even watched the show. 

In other food TV news, Fuck, That's Delicious has another season coming up if you can tolerate the antics of Bronson and the negligible morality of watching Viceland. Currently I've been digging into Good Eats and realizing that no matter how corny/nerdy Alton Brown is it's a really good show. When Tony Bourdain took him out to an ATL strip club and he barely seemed able to hang I had all kinds of questions about that dude in real life. He also looks like he has cancer these days and that is really fucking weird. 

• Haha 1

Well I finished season 4 remixed and over all I thought it was better than season 4 and season 3, but season 3 had funnier moments. I'm into season 5 again and it makes more sense in context. It also has some jokes, but it does feel needlessly nasty at times. 

Jessica Walters and Jeffery Tambor might be moody jerks, but they can bring the goods. 

Alia Shawkat and Micheal Cera were very good. Of everyone, Will Arnet seems like he had nothing to do. 

I finished season 5 again and with context it was better, but still mean and hateful in places. On my first viewing I thought Liza Minelli was dead, so I did not know how they were going to resolve. I still don't but after a google search, I know Buster is not a murderer. Maeby in the nursing home was funny and Ron Howard is great. He could have been a TV star as long as he wanted. At this point my end point is Clint Howard becoming a recurring character. 

For the life of me I can't remember how Tobias met his son. 

I'm rewatching the Office now, Dunder Mifflin is a poorly run company. The end of season 3 illustrates this. David Wallace overlooks Michael (who was the most qualified candidate) and Karen for the temp who never made a sale. 

Oh and allowing a documentary company film their inner workings for no reward. 

Don't get me started on the Charles arc, when they send someone to micro manage their only branch making money, which ended up losing them way more money.

On 7/6/2018 at 9:03 PM, Victator said:

I'm rewatching the Office now, Dunder Mifflin is a poorly run company. The end of season 3 illustrates this. David Wallace overlooks Michael (who was the most qualified candidate) and Karen for the temp who never made a sale. 

Oh and allowing a documentary company film their inner workings for no reward. 

Don't get me started on the Charles arc, when they send someone to micro manage their only branch making money, which ended up losing them way more money.

The sad part is, Dunder Mifflin is how companies are actually run.

• Like 2

Who else here is watching the new DuckTales? I do and I am really loving it. With most characters they went into a more adult direction (or at least in a direction for them being more accessible for adults) and people who were annoying in the original (e.g. Webby or Doofus) are much less so in the new version. The voice acting is really good too. There are also lots of easter eggs and cameos (e.g. Darkwing Duck or Gummi Bears).

• Like 1

Just now, Eivion said:

My older brother and myself are loving the show as well. I only wish Darkwing hadn't been reduced to an old tv show.

I got hyped when I heard DW was in it, so seeing him portrayed as a fictional character within the Duckverse was disappointing.

I try to get my kid into it, but she's probably a little too young. The only thing she wants to watch right now is Puppy Dog Pals on Disney Junior, which is as innocuous and pre-k as it sounds, but created and voiced by Harland Williams of all people. Good on him for getting that Disney tv money I guess. 

• Like 2

I just read Fox cancelled The Exorcist.  I enjoyed the show a lot...season 1 was a fun callback to the original film, while season 2 set out on its own in a fun way.

I really need to learn to not get into any horror or sci-fi on broadcast networks. 

In other "genre fiction" news, USA cancelled Falling Water, which I absolutely expected.  I didn't expect it to be renewed the first time.

Maaaaaaaaan...I finished up the final season of 12 Monkeys last night and that might be one of the best series finales I've ever seen. If the series lasts more than 4 seasons then it's likely that everything is too convoluted to wrap as well as it did. I mean, there is shit you see from each season that gets paid off in the two-part finale and it's incredible for how the showrunners stick the landing. There is so much care and attention to detail that nothing feels terribly hand wavey.

It's rare to see a series produce one good season after another and then basically pull off a perfect ending, but 12 Monkeys did just that. I don't think it's quite as good as how the Shield (which I think is probably the most perfect series ever), but this is definitely in the conversation for one of the best ever. Amazing stuff. I'm going to miss the series and the characters a ton.

• Like 1