DVDVR Message Board

[TV] REST OF THE SUMMER 2018 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

18 hours ago, (BP) said:

My idea would be for Showtime to reach out to the people Cohen pranked in the first season and offer them a chance to prank him back. Follow them around for a half hour while they prep an inevitably disastrous retribution prank that ultimately fails because of their own ineptitude, humorlessness, and vindictiveness. 

So the show is basically any ten minutes spent on Twitter?

• Like 1

Castle Rock had my curiosity but then it had my attention.

Shit, I don't know if it's good, bad or indifferent; all I know is the 1st episode drew me in and then Jane Levy showed up in it and, yes, I am that fickle. 

I'll keep watching.

Partly, but not all, because of Jane Levy.

a couple more airings of the Purge tv series commercials, and USA is going to finally exhaust whatever goodwill they have left with me from a decade+ ago when they still produced entertaining original series.  I can't remember the last time i was this put off by a series.

On 8/9/2018 at 8:09 PM, Player One said:

a couple more airings of the Purge tv series commercials, and USA is going to finally exhaust whatever goodwill they have left with me from a decade+ ago when they still produced entertaining original series.  I can't remember the last time i was this put off by a series.

Mr. Robot, Queen of the South, Damnation, The Sinner, Falling Water....

I know it's pretty subjective, but those are all pretty good original series that are on USA Network. As far as I know they're original series, anyway.

To show the power of Dwayne Johnson, I binged the back half of last season's Ballers that I never finished (I think I ended up rewatching two episodes that I remember vaguely), and I then watched last night's premiere. To show how quickly someone can fall off the radar, Russell Brand is apparently in this season of the show, and I a) had to think of his name for at least a minute, b) had forgottena bout him being a thing due to him somewhat falling off the radar in recent years.

This is not a good tv show, but it's also not offensively bad, so sometimes it's good to just watch something without putting much effort into watching it. It's how I also watched Entourage. 

The Fourth Estate is pretty cool, especially if you were a fan of the fifth season of The Wire. I'm sure there's a lot of bickering they don't get on camera but in the first ep I watched one guy already got exposed for inappropriate behavior and suspended. To go back to The Wire, imagine a larger version of the Sun paper's staff living through the era of Immortan Joe. Yeah, glad they got this stuff preserved for future generations. 

CNN is also killing it with The 2000s and The History of Comedy on Sunday nights. 2000s last night brought back almost a sense of nostalgia for the first Obama election (even the damn economic crash!). Since I missed the ep about dead comedians last night I got to get all weepy over that -- hell, I completely forgot Greg Giraldo died -- and then the new one was about comic duos and was pretty great. Next week is gonna be clean vs. dirty humor so I imagine this is where the so-far-missing Redd Foxx appears. 

Oh yeah, at the end of the dead comedians ep Mike Myers had the saddest/funniest anecdote. He was talking to Jon Lovitz and said "I can't believe she shot him", referring to the death of their dear friend and genius Phil Hartman at the hands of his wife. Jon's response? 

"Come on, you're making it sound worse than it was!"

They proceeded to laugh for half an hour straight after that because Phil would have done the same thing to that joke. All I could hear was PHIL telling that joke, in his voice, and cracked up. 

Comedy Central has the new show Ronny Chieng: International Student on after The Daily Show now and might be the best follower of that since The Nightly Show. Ronny actually went to law school in Australia and this is about that. There was just a bit where he knocks on his prof's door and the guy is sitting there watching MMA; after he takes a seat the guy takes a marker and writes "LAW" on Ronny's hand then reveals the word "CONFLICT" on his own that looks just like this

R-380603-1360462633-8871.jpeg.jpg

I swear it's identical. Ronny exclaims "is that a tattoo!?" which is even funnier

Lodge 49 (after Better Call Saul) looks to be a sweet, sad little show. They likened it to Big Lebowski in the previews and I guess there's some comparison but this seems to be more of a serious dramedy about people just trying to make ends meet and deal with the crappiness of the world outside. 

25 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

USA has cancelled Shooter so I am not sure what ads they will fill time with on RAW now

The answer is probably Mr. Robot.  Season 4 should start sometime 1Q of 2019 so we should see hype trailers pretty soon.

56 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

People I trust say that Disenchantment gets better after a couple episodes. I hope this is true because the pilot is disappointing. 35 minutes an episode feels much too long.

I feel like we are going to work through the ten episodes slowly as filler when we have 15 minutes to kill.