DVDVR Message Board

[TV] REST OF THE SUMMER 2018 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Has Bianca Lawson aged out of playing teenagers yet?

Yes.  Her character, Darla, in Queen Sugar on OWN is a grown woman and a recovering drug addict trying to reconnect with her child.

35 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yes.  Her character, Darla, in Queen Sugar on OWN is a grown woman and a recovering drug addict trying to reconnect with her child.

Good for her. She played teens for like twenty years.

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Shit, USA cancelled Colony.  Pretty soon, the whole network will be nothing but Raw and NCSI CSI L&O reruns.

I will riot if they cancel Queen of the South.

• Like 1

Just finishing Absentia and it probably makes a crime thriller bingo. Normally the free space is "you already saw the killer 30% of the way through" and this almost didn't do that. But, nope. You got the tough as nails cop dad, the sex addict swerve, the protagonist who breaks All The Other Laws to prove their innocence, the creepy orphanage and the creepy insane asylum, and the free space just goes last. 

Still, not too bad, though. 

14 hours ago, J.T. said:

I will riot if they cancel Queen of the South.

Same.  Well it's not "genre fiction" (horror or sci fi), so its odds of staying are good.  Also, I haven't seen demos but I get the sneaking feeling it has that strong Latin viewership that networks go for.  Call it a hunch.

We're slowly working our way through 12 Monkeys' last season. The final Christopher Lloyd episode was really good. It's outright surprising how well this is all coming together considering the number of moving parts and how unlikely it felt like they had everything worked out when it all started.

• Like 1

So I got suckered into signing back up for DirectTV when we went to AT&T to upgrade our phones to their new unlimited plan, which includes 3 months of every movie channel known to man (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz - also Sunday Ticket free for a year and oh yea I can already hear the arguments starting as I enter by 14th hour sitting on the couch watching football on Sundays).

Are there any new(ish) shows on any of those that are worth trying to binge through during that time?  Or am I just going to watch more movies in the next 3 months than I have in the last 2 years combined?

I'm all in on SUCCESSION on HBO right now, but I imagine it's not for everyone.  If you like shows like VEEP or THE THICK OF IT, give it a shot.  But if likeable characters that you care about are a requirement for you to enjoy a show, it's probably not for you.  It's just awful people saying deliciously terrible things to each other for an hour each week, and I love it.

• Like 1

We binged the first two seasons of Search Party this week, and now I’m restless for season three to begin. I really enjoyed the first season, but the second is a low key masterpiece. I’d heard good things, but I wasn’t prepared for how great it is. 

3 hours ago, CSC said:

So I got suckered into signing back up for DirectTV when we went to AT&T to upgrade our phones to their new unlimited plan, which includes 3 months of every movie channel known to man (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz - also Sunday Ticket free for a year and oh yea I can already hear the arguments starting as I enter by 14th hour sitting on the couch watching football on Sundays).

Are there any new(ish) shows on any of those that are worth trying to binge through during that time?  Or am I just going to watch more movies in the next 3 months than I have in the last 2 years combined?

I'm working my way through Billions on Showtime, it's definitely worth a look.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CSC said:

Starz: Counterpart and (if you like horror) Ash vs Evil Dead

HBO: Not a series but definitely check out the Andre The Giant documentary 

11 hours ago, EVA said:

I'm all in on SUCCESSION on HBO right now, but I imagine it's not for everyone.  If you like shows like VEEP or THE THICK OF IT, give it a shot.  But if likeable characters that you care about are a requirement for you to enjoy a show, it's probably not for you.  It's just awful people saying deliciously terrible things to each other for an hour each week, and I love it.

I watched the first two episodes and was disappointed that the terribleness wasn’t more colourful, ala the shows you mentioned. I may give it another shot on your recommendation. 

I hear Billions is doing the same thing (rich fucks being shameless), and it does it much more entertainingly. I should really try that at some point.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

HANG DAI SWEARENGEN

This would also mean that at least for a little bit, Timothy Olyphant ditches the cutesy and comedic act on Santa Clarita Diet and goes back to being the most pissed off and furious man ever. I've never seen someone be the total embodiment of the "I'm the guns of that Navarone, I'm superfly TNT" quote.

I really enjoyed Buffy back in the day, but it's not aged well for me.  It's one of those things I'm not quite embarrassed to admit I like, but have no interest in seeing again in any way, shape, or form - even if it's only watching a couple min of tv.

Basically,  it's Seinfeld.  Though I'd watch a Buffy marathon way before I rewatch another episode of Seinfeld.

Interestingly, I'm still a Whedon fan.   I've never hated any of his work, and still enjoy things like Angel (save the last season), Firefly, Avengers, etc.