DVDVR Message Board

[TV] REST OF THE SUMMER 2018 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 7/15/2018 at 4:26 PM, _MJ_ said:

Any lingering Y: The Last Man heads on this forum?   They might finally be doing it.  A real life adaptation:

Still probably my fave comic series, but I have no real interest in this

• Like 1

Is there a favorite tv scenes thread?

Been thinking lately of a few of my favorite scenes for some reason. Not the major major scenes like Battle of the Bastards or that but here are some I really enjoy;

-Vic Mackey loses it in the hospital because his wife didn’t know if

Lem

was in heaven or hell.(The Shield)

-Cohle tells Charmaine to consider suicide (True Detective)

-Logan and James Delos’ last conversation (Westworld)

-“We dug coal together” (Justified)

-The Money Train and it’s impending consequences (The Shield)

-Avon and Stringer “we ain’t gotta dream no more man” (The Wire)

In the "screenwriters sure do like amnesia stories/didn't know she had it in her" category, I finished off The Sinner earlier in the week, and that was pretty good. The writing is no great shakes, but it's more than I would have expected out of Bill Pullman (who hasn't had a role that could be classified as remotely interesting in 30 years) and Jessica Biel (whose best half of her film career is worse than the worst half of Natalie Portman's film career).

And then, to continue the theme, I started Absentia last night and hooo boy that's a different beast. I'm only 2 episodes in, and I'm verging on actively hating the guy they've got playing Stana Katic's husband, but everything else about the show is working so far. I fully expect the ending is going to disappoint, because I don't think I've liked an ending to a show of this type since season 1 of True Detective (yeah, I'm the one guy who thinks it's exactly what it ought to have been), but it's got me for the rest of the ride. I could go for Stana Katic & Titus Welliver getting together for an Amazon Prime TV Series Brood-Off. 

3 hours ago, peterien said:

Is there a favorite tv scenes thread?

I'd have to try very hard not to make that thread almost entirely about Justified. Any scene with a lot Jere Burns is a good start. Here's one with Raylan being his most Raylan, being a little too smart-mouthed and self-righteous and crossing a professional line. And Jere Burns gets to react to all of it.

Speaking of Timothy Olyphant playing a self-righteous guy under a big hat, I love any scene in Deadwood where people engaged in other action across the room or thoroughfare stop what they're doing to become spectators. Now combine that with some wild David Milch speechifying, and you have this craziness:

The first time I saw Troy's timeline in the episode of Community which introduced the multiple timelines, it may have been the hardest I've ever laughed at a scene of television. Fair warning to non-fans: The previous scenes in the episode set a lot of this up.

I'm not sure I'm qualified to go scene-for-scene with some of the Seinfeld nuts on this board, but I'll open with:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I love that Justified scene so much. It's so fucking intense and IT'S THE START OF THE EPISODE! Damn Justified was awesome. I'd go for one more season of it. 

The Shield has too many amazing scenes to count. The aftermath of the money train robbery where the Strike Team looks at the pile of cash they stole with "holy shit" faces. Vic Mackey describing in great detail all the evil deeds he committed as a cop for in return for immunity while Claudette is like, "WHAT DID YOU JUST DO!"

Then there's the possible/probably return of Vic Mackey in the Sons of Anarchy series finale. I think I just like this because it was cool knowing Vic was still alive with a new identity and living a peaceful life as a trucker.

• Like 3

I was 100% over SoA by the end, but I stuck with it out of obligation to someone I was watching it with. My one positive memory of that final season: Jimmy Smits' character reacting to a phone call he's receiving from Jax. We know what Jax his telling him about Gemma, but we can't hear that side of the conversation. So all we can see is Smits reacting to the heartbreaking news and Sagal processing Smits' reaction. A+ scene.

And while I love Vic's confession in the Shield, I may be a bigger fan of the scene in the final episode where Claudette brings Vic into the interrogation room one last time, shows him some photos, and rubs his face in what she condescendingly refers to as "what the hero left on his way out the door." A++

• Like 1

In addition to Whedon, Gail Berman (who was the president of Fox when the original show was made), Fran Kuzui (director of the original movie, was an EP on the old series, but had no actual involvement), Kaz Kuzui (EP on the original movie, same deal as Fran on the series) and Joe Earley (president of Berman's production company, his first involvement in the Buffy) are Executive Producers, and Monica Owusu-Breen (EP and showrunner for the first season of Midnight, Texas, writer on a lot of things) will be the writer of the first episode and showrunner.

Expect several cable networks and streaming companies to start a bidding war.

I'm not going to pretend I'm not going to watch the Buffy reboot pilot, at least, so I'll just say good  luck....okay, just one thing - I think if they went with a Buffy spinoff with a black lead doing her own thing it would be a smarter move

16 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Scratch that, we're getting the worst nerd rage, they're casting s black woman as Buffy

Instead of giving Kendra Young / Bianca Lawson a spin-off when they had the chance, they do a reboot with a black Buffy.

Fuck this new show.