DVDVR Message Board

[TV] REST OF THE SUMMER 2018 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Without making this political, Sarah Palin pretending she's the purity police and Joe Walsh calling for a boycott of Showtime only makes want to watch Sacha Baron Cohen's new show. And this happens almost every time someone cries foul about some piece of media crossing a line -- It becomes free publicity and now I need to see the outrageous thing.

So thanks to Palin and Walsh for making sure I set my DVR for Sunday. 

12 hours ago, Casey said:

Gotta love how opinions can be considered "bad takes" and "petulant arguing" just because the majority here think otherwise. I think the IC title you guys are talking about is ugly as hell. I like the oval IC belt better. Who cares? The 80s was a horrible time for music, TV, movies and wrestling. Hey, look, an opinion that not everyone shares but I definitely believe it.

I'll go watch some 70s lucha now (so I can fall asleep immediately).

Crazy talk.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Maaaaaaaaan...I finished up the final season of 12 Monkeys last night and that might be one of the best series finales I've ever seen. If the series lasts more than 4 seasons then it's likely that everything is too convoluted to wrap as well as it did. I mean, there is shit you see from each season that gets paid off in the two-part finale and it's incredible for how the showrunners stick the landing. There is so much care and attention to detail that nothing feels terribly hand wavey.

It's rare to see a series produce one good season after another and then basically pull off a perfect ending, but 12 Monkeys did just that. I don't think it's quite as good as how the Shield (which I think is probably the most perfect series ever), but this is definitely in the conversation for one of the best ever. Amazing stuff. I'm going to miss the series and the characters a ton.

I am glad to see someone mention this. One of the best sci-fi series ever... hell one of the best shows I have ever watched. It ended just when it should, and like you said it stuck the landing unlike a lot of shows like this (looking at you Lost and BSG remake). The room was real dusty their for the last 10 min or so of the finale. If you didn't watched this show while it aired, do yourself a favor and binge it now. You won't regret it.

• Like 1

Yeah, all the SNL noms are annoying, but the continued nomination of Baldwin for a performance that he openly hates and thinks isn't any good is just infuriating.

On the plus side, GLOW and BARRY got well-deserved nominations, even though it's a CRIME that Alison Brie wasn't nominated.  We should be having congressional hearings on this snub by next week.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EVA said:

Yeah, all the SNL noms are annoying, but the continued nomination of Baldwin for a performance that he openly hates and thinks isn't any good is just infuriating.

On the plus side, GLOW and BARRY got well-deserved nominations, even though it's a CRIME that Alison Brie wasn't nominated.  We should be having congressional hearings on this snub by next week.

I assume Brie got frozen out because it's against Emmy bylaws to not nominate Allison Janney. 

I'm not really troubled by any specific snub. Happens every year. But a lot of our darlings not being nominated this year comes down to all the real estate SNL is taking up.

• Lakeith Stanfield
  • Marc Maron
  • Manny Jacinto
  • D'Arcy Carden
  • Jameela Jamil
  • Donna Lynne Champlin
  • Literally anybody from Brooklyn 99, including the dudes who play Hitchcock and Scully

Feel free to add your own sacred cows to the list, put them all up on a dartboard, and throw five arrows. You'll hit five performances better than anything on SNL all season. 

I love my yearly reminder that the people who vote for these awards don't watch much TV.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I love my yearly reminder that the people who vote for these awards don't watch much TV.

And even they must be watching SNL via YouTube clips like most rational people do in this day and age. 

43 minutes ago, (BP) said:

There's always countless serious legitimate things going on to be angry over, but I'm going to cut out a small sliver of my outrage today for Maron not getting nominated. 

Sorry, Kenan had to get nominated for making a goofy face directly into the camera 24 times an episode.

BTW, watched the finale of Snowfall's last season last night, and yes I am ready for the new one starting on the 16th (IIRC). I did some mild Wiki'ing on it last week but really didn't know what was going on, yet the finale sped me up enough to jump right in. It kind of reminded me of The Sopranos with the song cues on the soundtrack, of all shows. 

I started watching Orphan Black last week, and halfway through the first season, I'm not sure it's grabbing me enough. After the first 2 episodes, I thought, "Oh, they're banging on about her daughter because she's the only one who can have kids." I'm guessing they did the Alison double swerve so early because that's going to be the big reveal at the end of the season. 

Normally I wouldn't care about figuring out the plot, but the side characters are so generic that it's where my head goes. Every time Felix is on the screen, I keep thinking how the guy who plays Elliot on The Magicians would be better in the role. And anytime Art's name is seen on his desk or mentioned by someone, I expect him to start spouting conspiracy theories. Maslany is great and all, but I hope there's more to it than this. 

On 7/11/2018 at 4:14 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Without making this political, Sarah Palin pretending she's the purity police and Joe Walsh calling for a boycott of Showtime only makes want to watch Sacha Baron Cohen's new show. And this happens almost every time someone cries foul about some piece of media crossing a line -- It becomes free publicity and now I need to see the outrageous thing.

So thanks to Palin and Walsh for making sure I set my DVR for Sunday. 

Not the Joe Walsh I thought it was.

Any lingering Y: The Last Man heads on this forum?   They might finally be doing it.  A real life adaptation:

Diane Lane has signed on to star in the drama series pilot, which is simply titled “Y,” along with Barry Keoghan, Imogen Poots, Lashana Lynch, Juliana Canfield and Marin Ireland.

Based on DC Comics’ acclaimed series by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra, the project traverses a post-apocalyptic world in which a cataclysmic event has decimated every male mammal save for one lone human. The new world order of women will explore gender, race, class and survival.

Keoghan will play Yorick Brown, the main character from the graphic novels on which the show is based. He is described as a young man quick to use humor to deflect from his problems who may be the lone male survivor of a worldwide plague.

Link: https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/y-the-last-man-fx-cast-diane-lane-barry-keoghan-yorick-1202870615/

It still might not get to air, but this is a long way from the rumored Shia Labeouf and Alicia Keys lead film adaptation oh-so-many years ago.  If they do it right though...I could see it being big.  Big "IF".

On 7/13/2018 at 6:46 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'm no regular CNN watcher, but I caught the episodes of their 90s and 2000s series on the television of those decades. If you want a brisk trip down some of the high points on memory lane, I highly recommend it. 

90s series was really fun. The ones that came before it sucked, but I won't speak much on that, since I don't want to be called a gimmick poster ;)

--

I started Madame Secretary last night on Netflix on a whim, and... goddamn, this show is actually really good. Who knew Téa Leoni had this in her? Because I sure didn't. Never liked her in anything I've seen her in previously, but she's great in this series.

The TV episode of that '90s series was just on but for whatever reason they didn't play the second part. The 9/11/election/Iraq episode after was, well... let's just say I wasn't wanting a reminder about a lot of that shit. 

The History of Comedy on sex was great. Jim Jefferies had an all-time great ad lib about Porky's: "It had tits. That should have been the promotion for the movie; "It's Got Tits!""

Who Is America?, AKA the Second Coming of Ali G, is exactly that. He's getting pubes from painters and advocating giving guns to children as a fake Israeli defense instructor.