DVDVR Message Board

A Better Comeback than the 2004 Red Sox..

SirFozzie

The America's Cup (finally) finished today. Team Oracle, representing the USA, was in deep doo doo. They were docked two race points for making unapproved changes to a smaller version of their boat. This meant that they'd have to win 11 races to keep America's Cup, while their opponents, New Zealand, needed only 9.

Then New Zealand won 6 of the first seven races, making the real score 6 to negative 1

The USA bounced back to win two races in a row (to get out of negatives, 6-1), but then New Zealand moved to the brink of victory, by winning the next two races.

8-1 was the score. That meant to keep the cup from going to the Kiwis, Team Oracle would win the next EIGHT races.

Today, that all-time comeback was completed.

9-8.

I'd be all USA USA USA, but um.. a minority of the sailors on the boat and those who built the boat were from the USA.. but still, to come back from 8-1 down to win is kinda cool.

• Like 1

It was pretty cruel since Team New Zealand had the Cup won a week ago with a 1500m lead but couldn't complete the race in the 40 min time limit due to low winds. There were a couple of other races called off where TNZ were in the lead and then postponements of races that gave Oracle time to spend millions of dollars to make their boat go faster. Mind you, if TNZ had won, Oracle would have probably dragged the whole thing through court.

Eh, if that hadn't gone to penalty kicks, I'd consider it.  But alas, it did.

So I present to you this one - a great comeback.....with a twist.  And you absolutely MUST listen to the audio with it:

2004 was an abomination.

It's all about 2011.

Braves up 10 1/2 games on Aug. 26

Red Sox up 9 games on Sep. 4

They are ranked as the 3rd and 5th worst collapses in baseball history...and both ended on the same night, with the Red Sox collapse also needing epic one-game collapses by both Boston and the Yankees simultaneously.

Best last day ever...

...which then in turn set up...

GAME 6, BABY!!!!!!

You all remember how much you rejoiced and weeped with joy, right?  If we had the board archives up we could all relive the magic.

I think I can simulate it here:

Posted Image

Yeah.  That's how I remember it.