DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIES] JULY/AUG 2018 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Ya'll should watch Like Father on Netflix. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's a sweet and funny little movie. Kelsey Grammar is excellent, Kristen Bell is suprisingly good, and Seth Rogen is in the movie for like 15-20 minutes total maybe.

I’m under the impression that the company distributing the Spacey movie had to exhibit somewhere to fulfill a contractual obligation since it’s been on VOD for a month. It actually did quite well on ITunes, presumably because of morbid curiosity or hardcore fans of Eggerton or Roberts. 

I know I am probably being a snowflake here but I find the concept of Happytime Murders to be offensive.  I mean maybe if it wasn't the son of Jim Henson I wouldn't care because adult themed puppets have been around for decades.  But I can't picture coming from the son of the man who created Sesame Street .  Plus aren't they also promoting this as some kind of Sesame Street alternative and not on its own?

That being said, the idea that you have to do commercial to tell parents to not take your kids to an 'R' rated move with "Murders" in the damn name is completely :rolleyes:

51 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I know I am probably being a snowflake here but I find the concept of Happytime Murders to be offensive.  I mean maybe if it wasn't the son of Jim Henson I wouldn't care because adult themed puppets have been around for decades.  But I can't picture coming from the son of the man who created Sesame Street .  Plus aren't they also promoting this as some kind of Sesame Street alternative and not on its own?

That being said, the idea that you have to do commercial to tell parents to not take your kids to an 'R' rated move with "Murders" in the damn name is completely :rolleyes:

They used a tag line that was something to the effect of "All Street. No Sesame" and got a case and desist from Sesame Street, but afaik that's the only connection beyond the Henson family.

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

Never underestimate the stupidity of the American public. 

If that film doesn't have a disclaimer at the end that says to go buy a copy of Meet the Feebles then it can fuck right off

14 hours ago, hammerva said:

I know I am probably being a snowflake here but I find the concept of Happytime Murders to be offensive. 

I find the fact that it stars Melissa McCarthy and looks like a painfully unfunny pile of shit to be offensive. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Never underestimate the stupidity of the American public. 

If that film doesn't have a disclaimer at the end that says to go buy a copy of Meet the Feebles then it can fuck right off

Saw Happytime Murders last night at 10:30 and saw two parents which young children there that did not last past ten minutes.

Movie was ok.

22 hours ago, hammerva said:

I know I am probably being a snowflake here but I find the concept of Happytime Murders to be offensive. 

The execution is worse than the concept.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, but it's not even really worth a free rental from the public library.  The review that called it "a witless comedy that blindly pushes buttons instead of attempting to tell a good story" was spot-on.

Revenge was exactly what the trailers made it out to be. A fitting secondary title would be Gidget Gets Gory. Rape-revenge isn't necessarily my cup of tea but if you can get through the first half the second is a blast; luckily I turned off the sound and let the beginning ride while doing other things, came back and turned out I missed the rape entirely! Even if it apparently wasn't shown, still. The plot: Gidget has a rich Franco beau who's married and has a vacation spot in the desert where he hunts (what, I have no clue); his buddies show up and one who looks like a French Charlie Day rapes her, so he decides to get rid of the problem by pushing her off a cliff. She gets impaled on a tree but somehow survives and then enacts her well you know. It gets surreal, and very, very bloody after she takes some peyote and gets busy. The Charlie Day dude suffers some hilarious punishments, one involving a piece of glass that takes the film into Dead Alive territory of sickness overload. Really great visuals and especially sound work on this one. 

On 8/26/2018 at 10:59 AM, Player One said:

The execution is worse than the concept.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, but it's not even really worth a free rental from the public library.  The review that called it "a witless comedy that blindly pushes buttons instead of attempting to tell a good story" was spot-on.

Based on the trailer I kept referring to it as "the home-schooled kid [whose parents sent them to High School to get socialized] telling the lamest "dirty" jokes to try to fit in"

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Based on the trailer I kept referring to it as "the home-schooled kid [whose parents sent them to High School to get socialized] telling the lamest "dirty" jokes to try to fit in"

That's not far off.  It was pretty obvious the filmmakers thought it was 1980-something and the idea of foul-mouthed puppets would get a rise out of people.

If you know what's good for you you'll go find a copy of First Reformed ASAP. That movie is incredible. After all these years and some of the last couple things he's done one might be wondering if Paul Schrader still has it. Don't doubt. Just go watch. I can't say anything about the plot but it's seriously heavy, Ethan Hawke kills it in what is probably his best role ever, and even Cedric the Entertainer shows up in a dramatic role and does a fine job. This is the Paul Schrader of Mishima and Affliction and Taxi Driver, this is the real deal. 

• Like 1

Locked down my Toronto film festival schedule yesterday.  Taking it easy this year - only 10 movies.

Friday, September 7

Screwball, 9:45 pm, 1 hr 45 min

dir: Billy Corben

A documentary that takes the unique approach of using child actors to recreate the MLB steroid scandal involving Alex Rodriguez and Biogenesis.

Sunday, September 9

Burning, 1:30 pm, 2 hrs 28 min

Ah-In Yoo, Steven Yeun, Jong-seo Jeon; dir: Chang-dong Lee

Burning tells the story of three individuals and a mysterious incident they experience. Haemi introduces Jongsu to Ben, a man she met in Africa. One day, Ben and Haemi pay Jongsu a visit, and Ben reveals his secret interests to Jongsu.

Climax, 11:59 pm, 1 hr 36 min

Sofia Boutella, Romain Guillermic, Souheila Yacoub; dir: Gaspar Noé

A troupe of young dancers gathers in a remote and empty school building to rehearse, and begin an all-night celebration that turns nightmarish as the dancers discover they've been pounding cups of sangria laced with potent LSD.

Monday, September 10

Border, 9:15 pm, 1 hr 50 min

Eva Melander, Eero Milonoff, Viktor Akerblom; dir: Ali Abbasi

When a customs officer develops a strange attraction to the suspect she's investigating, the case's revelations soon call into question her entire existence.

Wednesday, September 12

Hold The Dark, 6 pm, 2 hr 5 min

Alexander Skarsgard, Riley Keough, James Badge Dale; dir: Jeremy Saulnier

After the deaths of three children suspected to be by wolves, writer Russell Core is hired by the parents of a missing six-year-old boy to track down and locate their son in the Alaskan wilderness.

Thursday, September 13

Widows, 9:30 pm, 2 hr 8 min

Viola Davis, Elizabeth Debicki, Carrie Coon; dir: Steve McQueen

Set in contemporary Chicago, amidst a time of turmoil, four women with nothing in common except a debt left behind by their dead husbands' criminal activities, take fate into their own hands, and conspire to forge a future on their own terms.

Friday, September 14

Mid90s, 6 pm, 1 hr 24 min

Sunny Suljic, Lucas Hedges, Na-kel Smith; dir: Jonah Hill

Stevie, a thirteen-year-old in 90s-era LA, spends his summer navigating between his troubled home life and a group of new friends that he meets at a Motor Avenue skate shop.

Her Smell, 9:15 pm 2 hr 15 min

Elisabeth Moss, Cara Delevingne, Dan Stevens; dir: Alex Ross Perry

A self-destructive punk rocker struggles with sobriety while trying to recapture the creative inspiration that led her band to success.

Saturday, September 15

Boy Erased, 12 pm, 1 hr 54 min

Lucas Hedges, Nicole Kidman, Joel Edgerton; dir: Joel Edgerton

The son of a Baptist preacher is forced to participate in a church-supported gay conversion program after being forcibly outed to his parents.

Destroyer, 9:45 pm, 2 hr 3 min

Sebastian Stan, Nicole Kidman, Toby Kebbell; dir: Karyn Kusama

A police detective reconnects with people from an undercover assignment in her distant past in order to make peace.

• Like 2

Upgrade was watched last night and had me kicking myself for not going to see it in the theater. Serious mistake there. I felt this is honestly Robocop-level quality, the best sci-fi film I've seen in quite awhile, and a perfect merging of Cyberpunk and Splatterpunk. Highest recommendation.

• Like 1