DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIES] JULY/AUG 2018 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

9 hours ago, (BP) said:

Blackkklansman is a really good movie that’s counterintuitively enhanced by a complete disregard for subtlety about drawing comparisons to current events. It also has one of Spike Lee’s best uses of the people-mover shot right up there with Malcolm X and The 25th Hour. 

Given the events in Charlottesville a year ago, he's kinda right but hopefully race relations will slowly improve as the country continues to have this awkward discourse.  Maybe one day we will at least get to the part where it's okay in a democracy to agree to disagree.

My feelings about America did improve slightly after watching the news and seeing that the perfectly fine Nazis attending the rally on Sunday were outnumbered nearly fifteen to one.

And then God sent heavy rain.  It was great.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Given the events in Charlottesville a year ago, he's kinda right but hopefully race relations will slowly improve as the country continues to have this awkward discourse.  Maybe one day we will at least get to the part where it's okay in a democracy to agree to disagree.

This is an insane thought.  Agreeing to disagree about my humanity will never happen.  I'm not willing to compromise on racism with anyone.

I haven't seen BlackKKKlansman yet, but John David Washington is on Bill Simmons podcast and he talks like someone doing an impression of his dad.

35 minutes ago, supremebve said:

This is an insane thought.  Agreeing to disagree about my humanity will never happen.  I'm not willing to compromise on racism with anyone.

We'll I was actually talking about how democracy is supposed to work in general as far as having genuine debate and building new consensus. I wasn't really talking about accepting racism.

People who have differing opinions are supposed to debate them earnestly and come to a new agreement.  They're not supposed to retreat to their ideological bubbles and listen to their talk radio shout neener neener neener for two hours at a time.  

Democracy doesn't work in an obstructionist environment like the divisive one we're already in.

I was also talking about how the reasonable people of dissenting opinions in this country really haven't had that hard discussion about race relations which is why we're struggling through it now. 

I think it's funny how the American descendants of immigrants seem to love telling the new crop of fresh immigrants to assimilate or go home.  Every city that has a Little Italy or a block where there are nothing but Irish pubs is proof that the melting pot thing only goes so far and that's okay because it is totally okay to celebrate total heritage and culture.  You can embrace your immigrant heritage and still (hopefully) be proud enough of America to call yourself an American.

I learned that you can be more than one thing from an episode of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood..

If everyone whose family came from somewhere else went back home, the Native Americans would be thrilled to death.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I was also talking about how the reasonable people of dissenting opinions in this country really haven't had that hard discussion about race relations which is why we're struggling through it now. 

Who are these reasonable people?  There is no way to have a reasonable conversation about race when one half of the conversation refuses to recognize the humanity of the other side. How often have you heard a reasonable conversation with a racist?  

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Who are these reasonable people?  There is no way to have a reasonable conversation about race when one half of the conversation refuses to recognize the humanity of the other side. How often have you heard a reasonable conversation with a racist?  

You do know people like co-workers or fellow students or whatever with ideologies you don't necessarily agree with but you can still have rational and civil discussions with them, correct.

Those would be the reasonable people I'm talking about.

Someone like the Conservative Never Trump-er LT COL at ALU across the quad that I occasionally eat lunch with.

Unless of course you personally believe that everyone who dares to disagree with your ideology is unreasonable and probably a racist....

This is part Book thread, part Netflix/streaming thread, part Criterion/collectors thread, big part personal embarrassment, all wrapped up into watching a movie.

When bobholly mentioned reading Henry Rollins' book about his Black Flag days, I was reminded of something from a couple of weeks ago. I decided to get a Filmstruck membership for the next year, which will probably give me just enough time to watch a bunch of things I've been meaning to and know which Criterions are actually worth buying and which ones aren't worth owning a physical copy (unless I hit the lottery, in which case, the first big purchase is the entire catalog). 

But one of the other things that just went away on the site was The Decline of Western Civilization, which I'd been meaning to watch since it got re-released however long ago it was. I watched it and got to the part where they're covering X, and I keep thinking to myself, "Goddamn, John Doe looks so familiar! I know I've seen him in something!" It bugs me enough that I hit IMDb, and, of course, the place I know him from is FUCKING ROADHOUSE.

And I realized how that really sums up my life: that fucking movie. Wrestlers, punk rockers, relationships with doctors, and a whole Hell of a lot of mediocrity. If it had someone tooling around on an NES in the background, it would be a perfect fucking analogy.

So I hereby offer up my card, to be pulled, for not knowing who the fuck John Doe was.

Also, slightly more on-point: 

--Le Samourai - clearly interesting, can see why it's "great", but I probably need a deeper vocabulary in Melville's movies for it to click with me.  Other than the movies it obviously influenced, it felt like the long, no-soundtrack, plodding through the investigation stuff from Day of the Jackal was also lifted from this.  

--Carnal Knowledge - hey, remember when Jack was a great actor? Garfunkel is boring, and most of his story is boring, but the rest of this was way ahead of its time.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ivpvideos said:

Saw Mile 22 last night. Absolute shit with crazy cuts, a weird five minute ad for a divorce app (Not a joke) and a plot that makes negative sense.

I saw the thing about the divorce app in a review the other day. Not sure if that makes me want to see the film even less (did not know that was even possible) or try to track down this 90 minute direct to video caper when it hits on demand.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Or kicking women in the face as they climb up to attack him onstage...

Speaking of Decline, I really wonder what they gave Darby and his friend to get them up that early. Had to be some kind of cheap crank. 

Well, is it "up that early" or "up that late"? For my own part, I've pulled waaaaaaay more of the latter.

Also, the woman getting on stage was the only bit of that that felt even a little bit off. Maybe not staged, per se, but, well...let's just say I was betting on a large amount of hate-fucking at the after-party. Or perhaps the hate-fucking preceded/instigated the stage rushing.

I went to see Mile 22 and enjoyed the movie. Didn't enjoy the crowd in the back row. One lady had a loud laugh and was laughing at some somewhat funny scenes when the man of the married couple sitting to the right of her and her husband told her to shut her mouth. Her husband told him to not talk to his wife that way. Certain things about stepping outside. The entire theater turned around to watch their performance when the man I call "Angry Burl Ives" said he'd send the laugher's husband to "the god damned hospital". At that point I had had enough and said "BEHAVE!"
And for the rest of the movie there wasn't any laughing or arguing from that row. I could maybe see this behavior late on a weekend night but not at 11 a.m. on a Sunday.

As for the infomercial, that did seem oddly placed.

16 hours ago, driver said:

I went to see Mile 22 and enjoyed the movie. 

It was okay.  As I predicted, there was not enough Iko Uwais in Mile 22 for me to really love this movie.

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:52 AM, RolandTHTG said:

I fucking loved The Meg.

The ultimate so bad it's good movie.

Jason Statham deserves the Best Actor Oscar if this was as genuine a nod to Garth Merenghi as I suspect.

I also hope that this is true.

A friend of mine got to see Black Kkklansman for free since he works at the Art and it upset him so much that he almost walked several times. After I heard that it was such a bummer me and another buddy of mine nixed our plans to go see it. I can wait for DVD. 

In worse news, the Times has apparently reported that of all people Asia Argento has been accused of paying six figures in hush money to a guy she sexually assaulted who was 17 at the time. When I saw that on the CBS Evening News tonight my head about came uncorked. You gotta wonder if this figured into Tony Bourdain's suicide in some way: whether he knew, etc. 

17 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

A friend of mine got to see Black Kkklansman for free since he works at the Art and it upset him so much that he almost walked several times. After I heard that it was such a bummer me and another buddy of mine nixed our plans to go see it. I can wait for DVD. 

In worse news, the Times has apparently reported that of all people Asia Argento has been accused of paying six figures in hush money to a guy she sexually assaulted who was 17 at the time. When I saw that on the CBS Evening News tonight my head about came uncorked. You gotta wonder if this figured into Tony Bourdain's suicide in some way: whether he knew, etc. 

Upset your friend how?

In the case of Asia Argento, it's looking like a consensual relationship in that it was not a forcible attack by her.  The guy was 17, which is legal in many, many places (like Italy, where Argento is from), including many US states.  The way it reads to me is the guy essentially took advantage of a situation (Argento being prominent in the Harvey Weinstein #metoo movement) to use a consensual, but illegal, relationship against her for financial gain.