DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIES] JULY/AUG 2018 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The downside for me is that the nearest AMC is *checks Google maps* a 55 minute drive one way from me.

Honestly, $15 a month would still be a steal if they weren't also blacking out new releases that open on 1,000+ screens for the first two weeks (unless the studio pays them not too) but that's the other big part of their deck chair rearrangement.

We have a Cinemark theater and an AMC here. The Cinemark one is the kind with the ultra nice motorized recliners and assigned seating. The AMC theater has the same dirty and shitty seats they've had since they opened 20 years ago or so. And no assigned seating.

If get that AMC pass in a heartbeat if the one here would improve at all. I'm cancelling my Cinemark pass this month because it's a waste if you don't go each month. $9 a month and only 1 free ticket a month. 20% off concessions and no online fees though. Still, it's just not worth it now that the summer movie season is over.

Signed up for the AMC A-List gimmick. It is really fantastic. If AMC got all the quirky films and one offs I would switch to that exclusively.

Going to give Moviepass a little more time to get their shit together before I cancel. $15 a month to be able to see the indie movies/special screenings like I did with Alien a few weeks back is worth it and use the AMC card for the new releases on the IMAX screen.

Mostly I just go to Neighborhood Cinema in the next town over. Matinees before noon are $5, after noon $5.75 until 6 pm, then I think $7.50. it pays for the extra gas and then some compared to Celebration (and honestly it's only about five more minutes each way) here in town, but thus far I don't think either of them have a subscription service. Sinemia might be worth it.

• RIPPA changed the title to [MOVIES] JULY/AUG 2018 DISCUSSION

Christopher Robin has not been approved for release in China making it the second Disney film this year that wasn't approved (A Wrinkle in Time was the other)

Robert Redford says he is "retiring" from acting after The Old Man & The Gun (I mean he has been saying for a couple of years he is about done)

He didn't completely rule out doing more acting using the "never say never" line

On 8/8/2018 at 11:33 AM, J.T. said:

I hadn't watched this since I was 7 and, holy shitsnacks, this is a lot of murdering. It's really a wonder the whole U.S. didn't end up gun-happy, jingoistic, violent, and car obsessed with this as 80s children's fare. 

Wait. 

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

I hadn't watched this since I was 7 and, holy shitsnacks, this is a lot of murdering. It's really a wonder the whole U.S. didn't end up gun-happy, jingoistic, violent, and car obsessed with this as 80s children's fare. 

Wait. 

Don't you dare blame my favorite childhood movie no matter how painfully accurate that was.

• Like 3

Blackkklansman is a really good movie that’s counterintuitively enhanced by a complete disregard for subtlety about drawing comparisons to current events. It also has one of Spike Lee’s best uses of the people-mover shot right up there with Malcolm X and The 25th Hour.