DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIES] JULY/AUG 2018 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Miles Ahead just aired (and is re-airing now) on AXS and it was pretty good. Don Cheadle plays a career-performance Miles Davis and the film is inventive, throwing in flashbacks and moments where it's like you're seeing things in your peripheral vision almost because the storyline is not linear and they like to just switch on a whim. At the same time the main plot, not from real life, about Miles and Ewan McGregor running around as "partners that hate each other", to steal a wrestling trope, in an almost buddy cop scenario is pretty bizarre. Somehow it works though, and Cheadle holds it together. Literally. He starred, co-wrote, AND directed it, so...

5 hours ago, driver said:

I liked it but...

Hide contents

the whole thing with the hurricane was meh.

Aside from him having the worst taste in real estate, that made no sense tactically at all. 

It's like they watched the last episode of the Punisher and thought "Yeah that'll do. Throw in some stuff about supporting cast members that sort of gets resolved but adds nothing to the film, and we're done here"

Count me as one of those who read that and said to themselves "I had no idea Woody Strode was a wrestler!" Here's the match: 

Also, am I tripping or is that Gordon on commentary? 

EDIT: I guess I am tripping, it's somebody else that sounds A LOT like Gordon. He also makes the great call during a particular period of torture "Just imagine yourself in there, just once." Also, I dunno what that "semi-Boston crab" is that Woody busts out but somebody needs to steal it already. 

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:46 PM, RolandTHTG said:

Aside from him having the worst taste in real estate, that made no sense tactically at all. 

Actually it did.  McCall was taking on four men who were (supposedly) as well trained as he was, so he went back home where he knew the terrain better than his adversaries did.  Sun Tzu 101.

The bad weather also even the odds since it hampered his enemy's movement and the evacuation order cleared the area of civilians so McCall could operate freely without too much fear of innocent people being caught in the crossfire.

McCall turning his wife's bakery into a booby trap showed how he made the right choices of time and place.

I saw the movie yesterday and it was eh.  Denzel smoking fools for my entertainment was overshadowed by bad guys that were insufficient opposition and a plot that didn't really take advantage of the good stuff established in the first movie. 

Why is McCall just randomly interjecting in other people's problems?  Why are people that are lucky enough to be his Lyft customers the only ones that get help?  I thought the whole point of the ending of the first movie was to establish the gimmick from the television show for the sequel aka people would seek him out through his encrypted e-mail account and he would act on their behalf?

McCall just picking and choosing who to help just makes him seem like a stalker.  Creepy.

The whole story behind how McCall gets involved with everything is also pretty dumb.

Spoiler

York and his people bump off some DIA informant.  They are trained killers, but they leave the scene in such a sloppy manner that alarm bells ring and Susan is called in to investigate. 

If York is also working on the case, why can't he use means other than killing Susan to hamper the investigation so that the doesn't get caught?  Killing Susan will just bring more unwanted attention to the investigation.

I wasn't as disappointed as I thought I would be, but this movie is definitely a step back from the first film.

I did like the father figure interaction between McCall and the artist kid.  That was good shit.  The first time around, they got the action part right and kinda messed up on the human bits.  This time around they got the human bits right. but fucked up the action part.

Third time might be the charm provided a third movie is greenlit given the lukewarm reviews and this movie perhaps not meeting revenue expectations.

• Like 1

Sorry - what I meant was the guy positioning himself on the top of the look out tower whilst the massive waves crashing onto it and constantly knocking him around gave him no tactical advantage at all. Pronouns, pal. Get what he was trying to do in getting Denzel out into open for a clean shot but at what point do you just say fuck it not working.

Agreed re how much he picked and chose who he helped. The recovering alcoholic and the guy rehearsing his job interview werent good enough to be helped?

• Like 1

Inferring from some of friends on Facebook - it appears that MoviePass will be ending sooner rather than later

Lots of comments about how they are only charging peak pricing now, theaters are blocking folks from using the app and some reports of people no longer being able to find showings in their area

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Inferring from some of friends on Facebook - it appears that MoviePass will be ending sooner rather than later

Lots of comments about how they are only charging peak pricing now, theaters are blocking folks from using the app and some reports of people no longer being able to find showings in their area

Least surprising news ever.  They've slowly been making it more and more terrible while bleeding money. 

It's interesting, they were always doomed to fail from the moment they announced the 10 bucks a month price, but it looks like it'll leave a lasting impact on theater subscription services being a thing.

My friend in LA told me about the change to peak pricing a couple weeks ago and he was like, well, whatever, I can wait a few days. And then over the weekend they removed some movies, like M:I Fallout for example. Finally they just took away his theater so he'd have to go to one of the landmark theaters.

14 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Sorry - what I meant was the guy positioning himself on the top of the look out tower whilst the massive waves crashing onto it and constantly knocking him around gave him no tactical advantage at all.

Oh, in that case I totally agree..  High ground afforded York no advantage.  The buildings were too close together and the weather made things even worse.

You'd think that the leader of a group of highly trained mercs would've realized that after the first man went down.

14 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Agreed re how much he picked and chose who he helped. The recovering alcoholic and the guy rehearsing his job interview werent good enough to be helped?

Yeah, that was strange.  McCall spent the whole first act of the first movie trying to be a good Samaritan to a young Russian sex worker, but he doesn't offer any words of encouragement to the guy fighting alcohol addiction or the guy trying to get a job?

It's like the second movie completely forgot the first one.  It's an origin story all over again.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's interesting, they were always doomed to fail from the moment they announced the 10 bucks a month price, but it looks like it'll leave a lasting impact on theater subscription services being a thing.

It's probably going to get even worse because they just announced a price increase to 15 bucks next month

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

AMC's new subscription service sounds pretty great.  3 movies a week, no limit on how many you see in a day or how many times you can see a particular movie, integrated into the already pretty great AMC app so you can choose reserved seats (at least at my AMC you can) and not have to show up all early, plus you get all the benefits of the old Stubs premium membership like front of the line at concessions and rewards. 

I guess the only downside is that you are locked in for 3 months of it, but even that isn't really bad.