DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIES] JULY/AUG 2018 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

12 hours ago, Ace said:

I liked The Incredibles, but it isn't even the best Pixar sequel of all time. That'd be Toy Story 2.

That's not even the best Toy Story sequel

• Like 4

The Alicia Vikander Tomb Raider reboot was surprisingly boring.

I feel like they were going for a more grounded, less over-the-top Tomb Raider, and I get why they would go that route, but I'm not sure there's an audience for that.  I don't think many people buy Tomb Raider games hoping that the gameplay is more realistic.  Action sequences in the movie were underwhelming, I thought.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Speaking of video game movies, I just turned on the TV and there's a Tekken movie on Showtime? Starring Gary Daniels? And this is the second of FOUR of them?! 

The first 2 are related, with the second being a prequel of the first, and they were DTV, and both were, um, not that great.  The 3rd is probably the "best" and is CGI, and is kinda was just a promotional tool for Tekken Tag 2 (But the Blu-Ray will play the original Tekken Tag in a PS3).  Th efourth one was straight anime, and um, not great either.  Then again, I'm holding Fighting Game Movies up to the standard of the anime SF2.

Took the day off work and went to catch Ant-Man and The Wasp, but wasn't gonna pay peak price. Instead I found out Sorry to Bother You was already playing at the local theater, so caught that instead,

It's an absurd amalgamation of Bamboozled, Office Space, Idiocracy, Get Out and...

Spoiler

Clash of the Titans

Amazing.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

When did novelizations stop becoming such a thing?

I think it’s mostly related to the rise of surprises and twists being almost expected in major franchise releases, and the subsequent efforts to keep a lid on spoilers. It also may be because the books are usually based on early drafts, and there were quite a few I read as a kid that included scenes or entire subplots that weren’t in the final film and sometimes even completely different endings. There was probably a couple of years of my childhood where those were all I would read to know what happened in the movie as soon as possible. 

21 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Lost the link but there was a pretty funny Guardian story about the making of Street Fighter that I read a minute ago. Van Damme was using up to ten grams of coke a day on set. TEN GRAMS.

Should I say it?

Yeah, I'll say it.

Cocaine's a helluva drug.

• Haha 2

On 7/1/2018 at 9:57 PM, driver said:

I saw Sicario Day Of The Soldado this morning and loved it.

I finally got around to seeing it yesterday and wasn't a fan. Loved how tightly focused and plotted the original was but this was all over the place with one of the most 'rush to tie it up' endings I've seen. Isabela Moner was fantastic in her role but it wasn't nearly explored enough