DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2018 - July

Raziel

My favorite wacky contract is the 1984 Bruce Sutter deal with Atlanta. Right around $750 K annually for the 6 years of the deal, then $4.8 MM into a deferred account at a contract specified interest rate. Sutter got that rate to have a floor of something like 12.3%, so he's been clocking $1.1MM every year and then at the end of it in 2021, they have to make a $9MM balloon payment. Fucking crazy. Injuries ended his career before he hit FA again.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

My favorite wacky contract is the 1984 Bruce Sutter deal with Atlanta. Right around $750 K annually for the 6 years of the deal, then $4.8 MM into a deferred account at a contract specified interest rate. Sutter got that rate to have a floor of something like 12.3%, so he's been clocking $1.1MM every year and then at the end of it in 2021, they have to make a $9MM balloon payment. Fucking crazy. Injuries ended his career before he hit FA again.

Geez.  Ted Turner cant blame Eric Bischoff for that shit.  All of his GM's blew his money

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 7/2/2018 at 8:05 PM, El Dragon said:

Mike Cameron's fWAR for the Mariners

2000: 3.6

2001: 5.5

2002: 5.5

2003: 5.3

Mike Cameron, one of the most underrated great baseball players ever

And then Seattle traded his would-be replacement (the solid and consistent Adam Jones) for a Polaroid picture of a day when Erik Bedard's arm was actually attached to his torso.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/2/2018 at 4:04 PM, Tabe said:

I think that's overly harsh. He was really good in 2001 and pretty good the other three years. At the plate anyway. In the field, he was GREAT. only knock on him is that he wasn't Junior and he fell in love with being a home run hitter. Missed a 5-homer game by a foot but mostly struck out more often. 

I should have qualified that by saying that he did not play well AT HOME, and he'd be the first to say so. He said he flat out couldn't see in the Dome, either to hit or field. He said routine plays in the OF became challenging and he never felt totally comfortable at the plate. Mike Cameron was a fine, fine player. His replacing Griffey should have gone down like Frankie Frisch replacing Hornsby, he didn't necessarily do the same things, but the things that he did do made him memorable on his own. Cameron wasn't the only player to have trouble in the Kingdome, Kevin Mitchell came off a 47-HR season to something like half that (and cost me $20 that I'd bet that he would hit at least 50 HRs playing in Seattle.) Adrian Beltre's stint in Seattle might be just enough to keep him out of the HOF. I don't know what Beltre's deal was, as he played well anywhere else he went, but he was downright anemic when playing for the M's. 

On 7/3/2018 at 10:31 AM, grilledcheese said:

Forget Bobby Bo, this is the greatest contract ever. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I should have qualified that by saying that he did not play well AT HOME, and he'd be the first to say so. He said he flat out couldn't see in the Dome, either to hit or field. He said routine plays in the OF became challenging and he never felt totally comfortable at the plate. Mike Cameron was a fine, fine player. His replacing Griffey should have gone down like Frankie Frisch replacing Hornsby, he didn't necessarily do the same things, but the things that he did do made him memorable on his own. Cameron wasn't the only player to have trouble in the Kingdome, Kevin Mitchell came off a 47-HR season to something like half that (and cost me $20 that I'd bet that he would hit at least 50 HRs playing in Seattle.) Adrian Beltre's stint in Seattle might be just enough to keep him out of the HOF. I don't know what Beltre's deal was, as he played well anywhere else he went, but he was downright anemic when playing for the M's. 

Cameron was only a road player at the Kingdome. But he stunk at Safeco - career .703 OPS there. 

When that Tom Hallion / Terry Collins video leaked last month, I was wondering about the phrase "ass in the jackpot". Our friends at Deadspin have done some research. Apparently it seems to be mostly Baltimore cop slang.

https://deadspin.com/on-the-origins-use-and-meaning-of-ass-in-the-jackpot-1827286762

So MIA jumped on WAS 9-0 through 4, the Nats score 1 B4, 4 B5 and 5 more B6 and now lead 10-9. I love games like that, here's hoping the Fish pour on some more and make this thing real fucking weird.

It's dumb for so many reasons, the first of which is that it should absolutely be Strowman playing in a softball game. No guarantees that he'll mash dingers like his pop, but why wouldn't he be the first choice?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SirFozzie said:

The Royals throw up the white flag and throw a catcher out there to pitch in the ninth.

They're... not very good this year are they?

No...no they're not. They're rebuilding for their next championship in 30 years. 1985, 2015, 2045

They've already traded RP Kelvin Herrera to Washington and OF Jon Jay to Arizona. The next most likely players to be moved are 3B Mike Moustakas and 1B/2B/OF Whit Merrifield. Both have drawn interest from the Phillies and the Yankees have been brought up as a suitor for Moustakas with the intention of moving him to first base.

The Rangers have acquired outfielder Austin Jackson, reliever Cory Gearrin and right-hander Jason Bahr from the Giants in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations, according to Texas’ executive vice president of communications, John Blake. To clear room on their 40-man roster, the Rangers moved relievers Matt Bush and Tony Barnette to the 60-day disabled list. Meanwhile, the Giants will select both outfielder Steven Duggar and righty Ray Black from Triple-A, John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle tweets.

This trade amounts to a cost-cutting move for the Giants, who were narrowly under the $197MM competitive-balance tax threshold entering Sunday. Now, with the Rangers taking on the salaries of both Jackson and Gearrin (per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic), the Giants are seemingly in better position to make some moves around the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline as they try to hang in the NL West race.

And onto that - the Rangers have told Jackson to not report as they are going to either trade him or DFA him.

Oh and Chris Davis now has the franchise record for strikeouts. He passed Cal Ripken Jr for that "honor"

I should point out that Cal played over 3000 games for the franchise. Davis has played less than 1000

• Like 1