DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2018 - July

Raziel

On 7/29/2018 at 2:52 PM, sabremike said:

Simple solution: bunt the ball down the 3rd base line and end up with a free double. If teams and players did that the shift would vanish very quickly. That's exactly what would've happened 30 years ago when the game of baseball still made sense.

Also, if you're on second and they shift on your teammate.

Steal.  Fucking.  Third.

God, Rickey Henderson would've killed this overshift bullshit dead in less than a week.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Also, if you're on second and they shift on your teammate.

Steal.  Fucking.  Third.

God, Rickey Henderson would've killed this overshift bullshit dead in less than a week.

Didn't Daniel Murphy (of all people) essentially do just that vs you guys in the NLDS Game 5 in 2015 (I can't remember if was on a hit or a straight steal)?

36 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Know how the batters could beat the shift? By improving their skill by learning how to fucking hit to all fields.

What did Wee Willie Keeler once say???

HIT EM WHERE THEY AIN'T!!!!!!

Was true 120 years ago and it's still true today.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

Someone called FAN and seriously suggested that when there is less than 2 strikes in a count the Yanks should put Sanchez in the infield as a 5th infielder and play without a catcher, thus revolutionizing the sport with a new twist on the shift. This Is a Karl Pilklington level idea where I really don't know if it's brilliant, stark raving mad or so stark raving mad that it's brilliant.

To be fair, it's not like it'd be a difference if Sanchez was behind the plate or at SS.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sabremike said:

Didn't Daniel Murphy (of all people) essentially do just that vs you guys in the NLDS Game 5 in 2015 (I can't remember if was on a hit or a straight steal)?

Yes, and it was wonderful.  Particularly since those aren't my guys. ?

My guys don't make the playoffs in odd-numbered years.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Also the Mariners got two bullpen arms

Adam Warren from the Yanks

Zack Duke from where ever he was (I already forgot)

Zack Duke was with Minnesota.

Also, Adam Duvall traded from the Reds to the Braves.

Ian Kinsler goes from the Angels to the Red Sox.

Per Buster Olney (so take it for what it is worth) the Mets are telling teams that "they are planning on competing next year" and won't be trading any of their starting pitching

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Per Buster Olney (so take it for what it is worth) the Mets are telling teams that "they are planning on competing next year" and won't be trading any of their starting pitching

See, I’d laugh at that except the Mets always retain that ability to go on a random zombie run every ten seasons or so, and I don’t want to encourage it to happen.

Man, I really wanted Kela to go to the Cubs. Seeing what the Pirates gave up, I wonder why Theo didn't go after him when they were trading for Hamels. I can only assume it was character issues or something else.

13 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Yes, and it was wonderful.  Particularly since those aren't my guys. ?

My guys don't make the playoffs in odd-numbered years.

Wasn't paying attention and thought you were grilledcheesse the resident Dodgers fan when posting. My bad!

MIN and LAD appear to be swapping 2B, Logan Forsythe to the Twinkies for Brian Dozier. MIN also getting two prospects in Luke Raley and Devin Smeltzer. Raley is a power hitting OF at AA Tulsa all year and Smeltzer is a LHP starter also with Tulsa all year long.