DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2018 - July

Raziel

• RIPPA pinned this topic
2 hours ago, Raziel said:

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day.

Is that like Happy Rusev Day, but only for asshats from the Bronx?

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

Is that like Happy Rusev Day, but only for asshats from the Bronx?

Asshats that collect $1.19 million until 2035

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Asshats that collect $1.19 million until 2035

To make matters worse, he apparently has another deferred payment deal with the Mets that's good for $12.5 million. That's the one that made Bonilla (at the time) the highest-paid player in baseball. Ladies and gentlemen, your New York Metropolitan Baseball Club!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Carlos Beltran and Bret Saberhagen are also getting paid from the Mets this year.

Beltran- 3.1 M

Saberhagen- 250K

Beltran deserves it simply for being such a fine player and having to spend about a third of his career as a Met. (The poor man also had to play for the Yankees). God must hate him or something.

6 hours ago, OSJ said:

Beltran deserves it simply for being such a fine player and having to spend about a third of his career as a Met. (The poor man also had to play for the Yankees). God must hate him or something.

I'm going to take the high road. The Mariners are too easy of a target.

55 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm going to take the high road. The Mariners are too easy of a target.

Indeed. Ten years removed from Seattle I've been able to let my emotional bonds to that awful team wither and fall away. Actually, they've never been an awful team, what they've been is the most poorly-run organization in baseball history. You could field a damn near unbeatable team of players that the M's traded, allowed to walk away, handled poorly and got paid back with poor performances. How do you have a team with Ken Griffey, Edgar Martinez, Alex Rodriguez, Randy Johnson, Jay Buhner, and Omar Vizquel and not win it all?

What has killed the M's repeatedly is timing when it came to trades, the legacy of blown deals is legendary. I was privy to watching the signing of the badly-needed shortstop Miguel Tejada fall apart before my eyes in 2003. Yeah, Tejada's time on top was short, but from 2004-2006 he was the kind of player that you would build a team around; a power-hitting shortstop that never missed a game; in short, Tejada was the guy that people thought Rtpen was. With the Tejada deal blown by poor communication, management was desperate to sign a name player or fans would have rioted. So what did they do? Well, if you can't land a power-hitting shortstop who is a legit five tools guy, a lumbering oaf and one-dimensional slugger like Richie Sexson should be just as good, right? 

Actually, Sexson wasn't a bad player, a guy like him can easily be an important piece of the puzzle when assembling a winning team, however, in this case, it was just selecting the wrong tool for the project at hand, a drill was called for and the M's responded by selecting a hammer. It wasn't a disaster like the Kevin Mitchell signing, but Richie was no Miguel Tejada. 

There's also the strange factor of guys that just can't play well in Seattle, we can start with Kevin Mitchell who came to Seattle off of a 47-HR season in SF and proceeded to tank it, Mike Cameron had the onus of trying to replace Ken Griffey, and for whatever reason, just did not play well in Seattle, if anything keeps Adrian Beltre out of the HOF, it's going to be the dismal stats that he racked up playing in Seattle. 

Yeah, the M's are just basically destined to failure. I'm glad that I can now ignore their antics and just root for my beloved Braves.  

“You want right handed hitters and left handed hitters treated equally,” Boras said by phone. “I think you have to (legislate) having two players on the other side of the (second base) bag.”

Boras called the extreme shifts being used “discriminatory” because they hurt left handed hitters much more than right handed hitters. He estimated there’s a 20-point penalty for lefty hitters, and further suggested it’s not only bad for those hitters but bad for baseball, as well.

giphy.gif 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, OSJ said:

Mike Cameron had the onus of trying to replace Ken Griffey, and for whatever reason, just did not play well in Seattle, 

I think that's overly harsh. He was really good in 2001 and pretty good the other three years. At the plate anyway. In the field, he was GREAT. only knock on him is that he wasn't Junior and he fell in love with being a home run hitter. Missed a 5-homer game by a foot but mostly struck out more often. 

9 hours ago, OSJ said:

Indeed. Ten years removed from Seattle I've been able to let my emotional bonds to that awful team wither and fall away. Actually, they've never been an awful team, what they've been is the most poorly-run organization in baseball history. You could field a damn near unbeatable team of players that the M's traded, allowed to walk away, handled poorly and got paid back with poor performances. How do you have a team with Ken Griffey, Edgar Martinez, Alex Rodriguez, Randy Johnson, Jay Buhner, and Omar Vizquel and not win it all?

What has killed the M's repeatedly is timing when it came to trades, the legacy of blown deals is legendary. I was privy to watching the signing of the badly-needed shortstop Miguel Tejada fall apart before my eyes in 2003. Yeah, Tejada's time on top was short, but from 2004-2006 he was the kind of player that you would build a team around; a power-hitting shortstop that never missed a game; in short, Tejada was the guy that people thought Rtpen was. With the Tejada deal blown by poor communication, management was desperate to sign a name player or fans would have rioted. So what did they do? Well, if you can't land a power-hitting shortstop who is a legit five tools guy, a lumbering oaf and one-dimensional slugger like Richie Sexson should be just as good, right? 

Actually, Sexson wasn't a bad player, a guy like him can easily be an important piece of the puzzle when assembling a winning team, however, in this case, it was just selecting the wrong tool for the project at hand, a drill was called for and the M's responded by selecting a hammer. It wasn't a disaster like the Kevin Mitchell signing, but Richie was no Miguel Tejada. 

There's also the strange factor of guys that just can't play well in Seattle, we can start with Kevin Mitchell who came to Seattle off of a 47-HR season in SF and proceeded to tank it, Mike Cameron had the onus of trying to replace Ken Griffey, and for whatever reason, just did not play well in Seattle, if anything keeps Adrian Beltre out of the HOF, it's going to be the dismal stats that he racked up playing in Seattle. 

Yeah, the M's are just basically destined to failure. I'm glad that I can now ignore their antics and just root for my beloved Braves.  

Mike Cameron's fWAR for the Mariners

2000: 3.6

2001: 5.5

2002: 5.5

2003: 5.3

Mike Cameron, one of the most underrated great baseball players ever

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Craig H said:

Co-signed about learning to play against the shift. Regulating or banning the shift would be dumb.

But UNWRITTEN RULES OF BASEBALL!!!!

WE MUST BRAWL IF YOU BUNT AGAINST THE SHIFT!!!

ESPECIALLY IF YOUR TEAM IS DOWN BY A RUN OR MORE!!!

Ed hipped me to this

Go through the thread and there a lot of current terrible contracts that will have deferred payments for a long time...

Like Ryan Braun is going to be getting money from the Brewers until 2031

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Ed hipped me to this

Go through the thread and there a lot of current terrible contracts that will have deferred payments for a long time...

Like Ryan Braun is going to be getting money from the Brewers until 2031

And that Chris Davis contract is a thing of beauty - even before he fell apart.

• Haha 1