DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

13 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I haven't seen many of Riddles matches, but I did see him interviewed (last year maybe?) by Dan Barry and Chuck Taylor. I oscillated back and forth between loving the dude and thinking he was kinda annoying, to be honest.

That's basically every stoner I've ever known.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I remember him being on Chuckie T's show and I wasn't enamored. I also thought he was kinda annoying because I knew people like that back in high school and they'd drive me up a wall. Like, the magic mushroom tattoo is lamer than AJ Styles' tattoo on his side.

The video of him above is great though and that's a different side of the guy that I haven't seen and I like that side more. I do think he's ultra talented in the ring and I respect the opinions of a lot of you enough to believe that he probably is a once in a generation talent even if I don't currently see it.

I just don't want to see that potential wasted. More than the non-stop Roman push, what has turned me off the most to WWE is how they've mismanaged probably the most talented and diverse roster of all time. There are so many folks who have come up from NXT that just wind up being criminally misused. Raw is so incoherent from week to week (SDL is better to be fair) that anyone on that show is hurt as a result. Hell, even on SDL there's a lot of talent that just gets wasted. There's just a total disconnect from how wrestlers are developed in NXT to how they're used on the roster. I'm not saying that everyone that comes up needs a main event push, but damn, at least give people a reason to give a shit.

And then there's the memories of the years that RVD spent as the "whatever dude" guy. RVD has far more promo ability than just saying "whatever" and pointing to himself with his thumbs. If the main roster creative has no idea how to use all of the men and women that come up then I have about the lowest expectations for Riddle. Those low expectations are to the point where I could see his ceiling being Apollo Crews.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

That's basically every stoner I've ever known.

The high school and college stoners I knew were like that.

The adult stoners I know now do incredible work as contractors, carpenters, roofers, designers and they're also the best golfers I've ever played with.

In a lot of videos, Riddle appeared like the former. In that other video where Riddle is talking about how he's coasted off of just saying bro he looked like the latter. I like the latter a whole lot more. That trends more like the Diaz brothers where Nick goes into the ring high as fuck and totally destroys and strangles Gomi. Like, you don't want to fuck with someone like that.

• Like 2

Since we're talking about him, I'll share a quick Riddle story:  He came to Houston the night before NXT Takeover last year for a spot show on the patio of a bar in midtown.  Right before they started letting people in, the wrestlers were in the ring working out.  Riddle came over to where the audience was standing and started chatting up a fan in one of his shirts (I get the impression he recognized the fan from a previous show.)  Riddle had an awesome match against local wrestler Rex Andrews, then came out and watched the rest of the show off to the side of the crowd.  People were constantly coming up to chat with him, and he seemed very chill and affable with everyone.  So if nothing else, he really carries himself like a nice dude.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Loki said:

Abyss re-signed with Impact Wrestling. Was there ever a time where he would have been a good fit with the WWE?

I want to say about 12 or 13 years ago when his contract was coming up for renewal, and there were rumors he might leave.  I always thought if he went to the WWE, he could have been repackaged as a new Dudley brother.  Needless to say, I should probably never book a promotion.

1 minute ago, mattdangerously said:

I want to say about 12 or 13 years ago when his contract was coming up for renewal, and there were rumors he might leave.  I always thought if he went to the WWE, he could have been repackaged as a new Dudley brother.  Needless to say, I should probably never book a promotion.

Don't doubt yourself; I can totally see that now. Wow. 

49 minutes ago, Victator said:

On Jim Ross show, Abyss turned down a WWE contract around 2006. He was told they wanted to groom him to be an opponent for the Undertaker at Wrestlemania.  Ross corroborated the story. 

I vaguely remember hearing that he wasn't just going to be an opponent -- he was actually going to end the streak, right?

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I vaguely remember hearing that he wasn't just going to be an opponent -- he was actually going to end the streak, right?

That I can't remember. I have to think they thought of ending it every year. 

Neither do I. They did bring that up to someone though and that person vetoed it saying they shouldn't be the one to end the streak. I'm not sure if that was Batista or Edge or whoever, but I swear that happened.

3 hours ago, Loki said:

Don't doubt yourself; I can totally see that now. Wow. 

Hey, thanks.  Don't give me too much credit, though.  I also have an idea where they do a storyline about how Paul Bearer went on a vacation to Amsterdam in 1984, and now Aleister Black is the third Brother of Destruction.

Hey Vince, if you're reading this, you can have that one for free. ?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Where did bumps on the ring apron start? I got out of wrestling in the mid-2000s and when I got back into it they were everywhere on the indies. Was it All-Japan or NOAH? Those seem like the most likely candidates. 

Not sure about other promotions, but I believe it became a big deal in WWE with the Kevin Owens apron powerbomb.

Everything about that match is wonderful. I thought Park was done with CMLL until after Triplemania? Either way, I love this new lucha libre world we're living in.

Next step: AAA/LU allowing guys to use their gimmicks and names outside of their companies. El Penta 0M is such a silly name. Pentagonal Rex sounds less lame, eff you if you disagree imo. And think of the money Banderas could've made when the promotion was hot a couple of years back working as Mil Muertes on the US indie circuit.

All Japan got crazy with apron-to-the-outside spots in the late 90's but the groundwork was laid earlier than that. I think a lot of the famous Akira Taue Champions Carnival '95 run was him Nodawa Otoshi'ing people off the apron. Or was that '96...?

NOAH got crazy with the directly-on-the-apron spots I think as soon as they spun off. They also loooved that ramp.

tumblr_mzv37bQQ9r1sdqajoo1_400.gif

• Thanks 1

Yeah, Taue's miracle CC run was '95 and while tremendous it did open up a lot of stupid possibilities and pushed the envelope in terms of DANGEROOOOUUUS moves the top guys would start busting out. I think before that that the half-powered powerbomb on the floor was just about the most dangerous thing they did on the outside.

Poor, poor Jun...

WJxOco.gif

We'll always have '90-pre CC '95 All Japan.

• Like 1