DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Well with Rude and Steamboat both winding down it sure seemed like Austin and Dustin were next in line to be elevated.  Not that they weren't up there on the card anyway,  they were involved in plenty of big time matches.   Sting and Vader were still headliners so it would have been interesting to see what they did with those two and of course Flair was still really fucking good in '93 and into '94.  I always felt like Scott Steiner was going to break out and be a star even dating back to what,  '91?  

If it wasn't for Bischoff, Dustin and Austin were set to be the feud of the 90s in WCW.

^ Now that I can agree with. I could have seen Dustin having a run in 90's WCW, but not now, that's just too unrealistic.

Pound for pound, Regal is/was the better wrestler overall. Weather or not that makes him worthy of a world title run is everyone's own opinion. I've always stood by the thought he tops that list of should have been champs, above DiBiase and Valentine.

• Like 1

I'm a long way from convinced Regal (who probably makes my top twenty five of all-time) was a better wrestler than Dustin (who damn sure makes my top ten) but I just can't envision a Regal main event run.

He's a perfect midcard guy. Can have a good match with anybody, can work a mat match, a crazy brawl, pure comedy... He can be an arrogant prick, a clown, and even occasionally a Babyface. There's not a company that wouldn't love a guy like Regal in the history of this business. But he's a not a ticket seller. 

Dustin would've been an all-time top guy if Hogan didn't sign in 94.

11 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Aldis beats Flip, says he's coming for Rhodes at All In. Cody thinks it's about him, but it's actually about Dustin. The last shot of All In can be everyone celebrating with Dustin in the ring and Cody watching from the entrance 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Dustin Rhodes would have won a world title if Bischoff didn't get the chance to lead WCW, and it would have been pretty fuckin' sweet. 

Not saying that it would have led to a better future for WCW or that Bischoff's WCW wasn't interesting itself. Just saying Dustin Rhodes winning the WCW Heavyweight Championship would have been great. In that alternate timeline, instead of talking about Austin/McMahon being one of the greatest long-running feuds of all-time, niche wrestling enthusiast boards like this one would be talking about Austin/Rhodes being one of the greatest long-running feuds of all-time. 

100%, the dual ascent of Stunning Steve and The Natural up the card meant they'd have been tied to each other all the way up to WHC. Damn Bischoff and his 'too Southern' approach to legitimising WCW. Watching 1994 WCW and the turn from what it was to what it became for two years is sad

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Yeah, that was the time when he won King of the Ring and was RAW General Manager.

I’d argue the hottest he was was during the Evolution feud when he was protective of Eugene. If he had taken the title off of HHH after his promo, the pop would have been massive.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I watched the clip a couple days ago and the best I could decipher was Cass was too out with being a Trump supporter.

I mean, Cass is probably a dick and likely deserved what happened to him, but to go after the guy for being a Trump supporter while working for the people who posed for this photo days after Orange Fuhrer was elected is some willful cognitive dissonance of the highest order.

NtdhDZ8.jpg

I'm not saying the wrestlers should quit or anything, but for fuck's sake is it hypocritical and shitty and pretty-much bully behavior to go after a low-on-the-totem-pole guy for the same shit you'd never confront your boss about.  It's like going home and kicking your dog after a bad day at work.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oyaji said:

What's the best Vader/Dustin Rhodes match?

The general consensus - while they are all great and you should watch them all - is the Clash match.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Because I am a dick and I like to make certain people's eye twitch because they can't believe Vince is this stubborn

Per the new WON

And there’s also the pro wrestling end of all this.

From the pro wrestling side, there is a lot of maneuvering going on regarding what is next for Lesnar and the Universal title.

Lesnar is being advertised on the Raw after SummerSlam at the Barclays Center, as the key player on that card. Logically one would infer that Lesnar’s return would be at SummerSlam, but that has not been confirmed.

Logically, the Bobby Lashley vs. Roman Reigns match is for the winner to face Lesnar, yet, that also has never been said, and would add to the interest in the match this coming weekend if it was announced that way.

With Lesnar being all over the sports world for the angle with Cormier, it was shocking that the angle, nor Lesnar at all, were mentioned on the 7/9 Raw show. That was, as everything is, a directive straight from Vince McMahon.

It appears McMahon is adamant in creating the idea that Lesnar has walked out, is going to UFC, turned his back on the WWE fans, and isn’t coming back to drop the title and holding up the belt. The idea would seem to be to create a storyline that gets Reigns cheered at the Barclays Center. This storyline has, in fact, gotten Lesnar more hate, but also made him less over. Perhaps being big in UFC plans and in the mainstream news again will reverse that a little. It also hasn’t gotten Reigns cheered. But everything that is taking place as far as the pro wrestling end is being dictated by McMahon, and not Lesnar, who is under contract at least through the end of August.

From the outside, it appeared the idea to not mention Lesnar, his angle with Cormier, and that Reigns and Lashley are fighting to take his title, on the show is not taking advantage of something hot in the real world.

At the production meeting before Raw, McMahon told everyone that the show in Boston is to focus completely on building Extreme Rules, a show Lesnar isn’t on, so his name wasn’t to be mentioned. Reigns, in a promo late in the show, went in a direction where his name should have been mentioned, and then didn’t.

McMahon said that they will start talking about Lesnar “When he’s being offered to our audience and we can capitalize on it.”

So Vince’s big plan is to make everyone think Lesnar has left with the belt... and that they’re just going to ignore the fact that there’s no longer an Universal champion?  Like Vince wants us to believe that if the champ left, they would just retire the belt and never mention it?  

Maybe they can have Rey Mysterio return by winning the interim title tournament, only to have Reigns immediately defeat him for it in preparation for the Lesnar match.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Matt D said:

Regal had a real shot in 08 I think.

9 hours ago, Victator said:

I don't think its too crazy statement to make. Regal is a great wrestler, but his style was not as conductive to being a World champion in a major promotion. Regal himself has said as much over the years in regards to working in WWE. 

I think Regal could have been a World champion.  But best vs best I would take Dustin. 

It's worth pointing out that multiple people from creative have said that the plan was to put the world title on Regal. This might have been around the time he was GM.

So we at least know Regal was looked at as a world champion, while according to Bruce Prichard, who could be full of shit, they didn't see Goldust as a world champion.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Because I am a dick and I like to make certain people's eye twitch because they can't believe Vince is this stubborn

Per the new WON

My eye started twitching around paragraph 3.   

I don't wish injury on anyone, but right now would be a very, very good time for Roman to tear a pec or something that would put him out 6-9 months.   

5 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

My eye started twitching around paragraph 3.   

I don't wish injury on anyone, but right now would be a very, very good time for Roman to tear a pec or something that would put him out 6-9 months.   

I feel bad for Reigns, so maybe an injury giving him extended time away wouldn't be the worst thing.

At this point, it's like Vince has a vendetta against the guy. We all think Vince is just pushing this guy to the moon in the dumbest way possible, but in reality he's constantly killing his career and seeing how much Roman will take before he gives up.