DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

15 hours ago, piranesi said:

I tired to hang in with this to find out why Big Cass was fired and after about 5 minutes when I had learned nothing but how a general makes his bed and something about medals and so I fast forwarded a few minutes and I learned about putting on a suit and tie for a wedding and then I fast forwarded a few minutes and he was talking about how great Big Cass was. WTF BOOKER IS GOING ON IN YOUR BRAIN???????

I watched the clip a couple days ago and the best I could decipher was Cass was too out with being a Trump supporter. I would imagine there are plenty of like minded people in the WWE. So I can't believe him being that way would be a deciding factor.

Also in a perfect world, they would do a huge underdog story with someone you wouldn't expect getting the shot at Lesnar and Goldust would probably tell an oscar worthy story in the build up to that show and match.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Casey said:

Gotta love how opinions can be considered "bad takes" and "petulant arguing" just because the majority here think otherwise. I think the IC title you guys are talking about is ugly as hell. I like the oval IC belt better. Who cares? The 80s was a horrible time for music, TV, movies and wrestling. Hey, look, an opinion that not everyone shares but I definitely believe it.

I'll go watch some 70s lucha now (so I can fall asleep immediately).

Ban plz

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The worst take I've seen in a long time.

Casey is obviously working a gimmick. He'll reply with some variation of "Oh just because I don't like it, I'm working a gimmick." But you know its not too difficult to follow patterns. Nobody is going to have opinions that uniformly shitty. The first post was designed to elicit outrage. When it did not get much of a bite, he kicked it into over drive. 

• Like 3

Tomorrow’s gem will be a full, 48-minute TV episode. To be precise, the 07/14/1984 episode of World Championship Wrestling is set to land on the WWE Network tomorrow! Yes indeed, this is the show that is infamously known as “Black Saturday”,

http://www.wwenetworknews.com/2018/07/11/exclusive-information-on-tomorrows-hidden-gem-full-historic-episode-featured/

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

@Zakk_Sabbath I don't love Mohegan Sun Arena but it's so easy to go to. Just park on the roof. Go to the show. Eat dinner, gamble, no traffic.  I like the overall experience from it.

Oh for sure it's a great time and experience. I've been to tons of concerts and bachelor parties and stuff there its an awesome time. This is weird, but my whole thing is that the upper deck is way too steep and I get messed up from the height, so I don't prefer it unless I spend a bunch of extra cash on floor seats (which I really can't justify since the views are actually pretty good there since it's only a 10k or 12k seater).

• Like 1

Has there ever been any talk or interest from a WWE or even a TNA for a Toro Yano? I know he's the furthest from a Kenny Omega and/or Okada, but his character and shtick feel more like what WWE is looking for as far as character that an audience can latch onto. 

6 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I watched the clip a couple days ago and the best I could decipher was Cass was too out with being a Trump supporter. I would imagine there are plenty of like minded people in the WWE. So I can't believe him being that way would be a deciding factor.

A lot of people don't want to hear it either way. 

7 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Dustin Rhodes would have won a world title if Bischoff didn't get the chance to lead WCW, and it would have been pretty fuckin' sweet. 

Not saying that it would have led to a better future for WCW or that Bischoff's WCW wasn't interesting itself. Just saying Dustin Rhodes winning the WCW Heavyweight Championship would have been great. In that alternate timeline, instead of talking about Austin/McMahon being one of the greatest long-running feuds of all-time, niche wrestling enthusiast boards like this one would be talking about Austin/Rhodes being one of the greatest long-running feuds of all-time. 

I really think that if WCW had never signed Hogan, Dustin would have probably been given a shot as WCW champion.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Oh for sure it's a great time and experience. I've been to tons of concerts and bachelor parties and stuff there its an awesome time. This is weird, but my whole thing is that the upper deck is way too steep and I get messed up from the height, so I don't prefer it unless I spend a bunch of extra cash on floor seats (which I really can't justify since the views are actually pretty good there since it's only a 10k or 12k seater).

Yeah the upper deck does suck,  I know exactly what you mean it feels like you could topple over and fall into oblivion.  I've sat up there.  Now I only go to a WWE show there if I can get floor seats (maybe 2-3 rows back,  not further because you can't see) or the first few rows of the next level up.   

I've gone to Bellator and some boxing events there and it's awesome.  Just get some tickets a few rows up on the lower bowl. It's a blast.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mattdangerously said:

I really think that if WCW had never signed Hogan, Dustin would have probably been given a shot as WCW champion.

It seems really obvious in late 93-early 94 that they saw Austin and Dustin as the next generation Flair and Dusty.

Regal is quite possibly the greatest midcarder of all time, but Dustin was a more legit main event caliber guy.

• Like 2

Well with Rude and Steamboat both winding down it sure seemed like Austin and Dustin were next in line to be elevated.  Not that they weren't up there on the card anyway,  they were involved in plenty of big time matches.   Sting and Vader were still headliners so it would have been interesting to see what they did with those two and of course Flair was still really fucking good in '93 and into '94.  I always felt like Scott Steiner was going to break out and be a star even dating back to what,  '91?  

• Like 1

I don't think its too crazy statement to make. Regal is a great wrestler, but his style was not as conductive to being a World champion in a major promotion. Regal himself has said as much over the years in regards to working in WWE. 

I think Regal could have been a World champion.  But best vs best I would take Dustin. 

It's funny because Regal's style would seem to lend itself to being WCW/NWA champion, while Dustin has that great babyface comeback fire that Vince loves in his main eventers, both both guys had their best shots in the other promotion. Im almost certain that if Regal didnt blow that shot as the King of the Ring he was getting a run. Even if only a token "Thanks for the career" type run ala Kane or Mark Henry.

Dustin, on the other hand, could still get a run now. Maybe not a Rumble win but there would be nothing wrong with doing to him what they did with say Jinder. He wins a battle royal or one night tourney or something. Gets a shot vs Brock on a C grade PPV in a no holds barred match. Standard Brock/Heyman build with shooty promos about being 'natural' and living in the shadow of an American Nightmare...

Then have Reigns, Rollins and a returning Ambrose interfere and cost Lesnar the match. Brock gets a program against the Shield and Dustin gets a few months with the title against the likes of Elias, Corbin and heel Roode, before dropping it to Strowman or Lashley.