DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

There's an SDL house show coming to my town in October. A couple years back they came through and I got myself a front row seat for the first time ever and it was a blast. At that show, we had the main event of AJ vs Ambrose World vs IC title. With the current SDL roster, I'm planning on trying to snag a front row seat again for this show. Hopefully Bryan is still around by then, as getting to see him wrestle again up close would be a fun time. Plus AJ, Joe, Nakamura, Asuka, Becky, Usos, Bludgeons, Rusev, Miz, possibly Jeff Hardy......I don't think that's a card I could pass up.

• Like 1

This is usually the time of year WWE sucks me back in for a few months of the year but between the “what whackiness will Braun Strowman the Monster In the Bank Amongst Men do tonight” that they’ve been doing for the last 4 fucking months and the general blandness of the product, I’m just not bothered with any of it bar the Takeover shows.

Im usually WWE first with a passing interest in NJPW and the Indies but with the G1, All In and a general good buzz around The Elite,ROH and New Japan these days the sides have switched. 

• Like 3

Pro Wrestling Only launched as a website to go with its forums. I think its a good site that talks about wrestling without irony, but never strays into serious business drowning in star ratings. 

Loss is doing a column where he talks to fans about various points in their life with wrestling and he asked me. https://www.prowrestlingonly.com/blog/wrestling-in-sevens-001

• Like 6

1 hour ago, peterien said:

This is usually the time of year WWE sucks me back in for a few months of the year but between the “what whackiness will Braun Strowman the Monster In the Bank Amongst Men do tonight” that they’ve been doing for the last 4 fucking months and the general blandness of the product, I’m just not bothered with any of it bar the Takeover shows.

Im usually WWE first with a passing interest in NJPW and the Indies but with the G1, All In and a general good buzz around The Elite,ROH and New Japan these days the sides have switched. 

At the risk of sounding too hipster, I literally do not know a single match that's happening on the Extreme Rules card.

59 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Dude significantly out-kicked his coverage for a while at least

I dunno, I see a lot of attractive women like rat faced guys, especially if they wear a stupid hat and have neck tattoos. 

Now you might say I am negative and bitter. To that I say, you are very smart and observant. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

At the risk of sounding too hipster, I literally do not know a single match that's happening on the Extreme Rules card.

The worst part is they're plugging it as "The night where there are no rules!"

Only one match is an extreme rules match.

• Like 4

On 7/8/2018 at 4:37 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Man, I miss bounty angles. Way too pro rasslin for WWE.

I was originally quoting you to bring up the HHH one before I saw the other posts, but didnt ROH also do one back in their early days, or am I imagining things?

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Throw in '89-90 or '94-97 Terry Funk vs. '04-07 Necro Butcher. I'd also like to Terry Funk from same period or '92-94 Cactus Jack vs. 2004-2006 Homicide.

My ultimate dream match is pre back injury Dynamite Kid vs. '93-97 Benoit.

Hell yeah to all of that (except maybe that last one because I'm weird about it) but especially Cactus/Homicide. That's one I'd have never thought of but I'd really love to see it. I saw Homicide wrestle Steve Corino once live around that time, and they tore it down. And Cactus is one of my top all time favorites up there with Bret and Savage. With Vader's passing, I started watching some of that era of Foley's career on the network so it's real fresh in my mind. In my head, it would play out very much like the beach blast sting match in terms of physicality

Questiom for anyone: I stopped watching WWE regularly for a while from like 2007/8ish to 2011, did Flair and Punk ever wrestle? 

6 hours ago, peterien said:

Outside of nxt/UK guys and to a lesser extent SD, my interest in WWE is really low, especially compared to everything New Japan is doing, the buzz about ALL IN, Impact, whichever indies PCO is working for, etc. I'm still not particularly interested in ROH outside of the New Japan relationship. Back when I had more disposable income about 10-12 years ago, I was all about ROH, Chikara, PWG.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Questiom for anyone: I stopped watching WWE regularly for a while from like 2007/8ish to 2011, did Flair and Punk ever wrestle? 

Never wrestled each other but they teamed one time on ECW in Feb 2008 against Elijah Burke and Shelton Benjamin. I think they had a brief brawl segment in 2012.

• Like 1

My friends and I are planning on doing a TEW draft with everybody in their primes, so it's essentially the time machine gimmick that's been discussed in here. How about Walter vs. Wahoo McDaniel in a battle of the chops? Minoru Suzuki and Brock Lesnar vs. Juice Robinson and Ricky Morton with team sadism vs the best seller of the 80s and one of the best today. Ahmed Johnson vs. Teddy Hart in a what the fuck is going to happen match. We are going to have fun with this. 

The WWE Universal Championship has a weird history. The belt was rightly shat on when it was unveiled at SummerSlam 2016. Finn Balor beat Seth Rollins to become the first champion but had to vacate it the next day as Rollins injured him in that match. Have to feel for Finn getting one if not the most mistimed injury ever. Kevin Owens won the vacant title, I never expected him to win a world title let alone be in the WWE. Goldberg took the title from him and then lost it to Brock Lesnar who holds it and barely wrestles.

I didn’t mind when Brock Lesnar won the WWE World Heavyweight Championship from John Cena at SummerSlam 2014 and defended infrequently in September 2014, January 2015 and March 2015 losing it at WrestleMania XXXI as it was different and Brock was delivering in his matches. 2016, 2017 and 2018 brought diminishing returns with Brock. I just want rid of Brock. Two world titles means there’s a world title on each brand and two allow for wrestlers who may not have gotten one if there was only one, this goes for the current brand split and the first time round. I’d prefer just the one myself, the WWE Champion who can go on both shows.

If you're treating RAW and Smackdown as two different "companies", then why would one person be able to appear on both? I never liked that idea and I was glad when they ended it.

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

If you're treating RAW and Smackdown as two different "companies", then why would one person be able to appear on both? I never liked that idea and I was glad when they ended it.

They're not companies, pal. They're brands dammit!

• Thanks 1

I think you either go all in with split and have separate champs or don't do it. Sharing champs has always made the split useless because they are always tempted to have guys show up on the other side if they are feuding over the same belt.

• Like 1