DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

On 7/28/2018 at 10:03 AM, Brian Fowler said:

About Punk/Brock: my big problem with the match (and it's a really good match) is really a broad problem with WWE in general. They made the babyface look stupid. The second he put Paul in the Vice, everyone and their mother knew Brock was gonna break the hold and win the match. CM Punk looked like a stupid dumbass.

If he just kicks Paul in the head, and turns right back to Brock, but Brock has already recovered because he's an inhuman monster, that's fine. Punk had to do something about Paul, and the outside interference cost him the match. But instead, Punk being fucking stupid and torturing Heyman while the 300 lb UFC champion ubermensch was recovering... That's on Mr. Brooks.

I like that match, not even the best from Summerslam 2013. John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan smokes it, classic ***** match. Also an underrated match in Alberto Del Rio vs. Christian. Now that show was worth watching live and losing sleep over.

15 hours ago, nate said:

I remember when this place only talked about wrestling.

I remember the current events thread.

The green background and yellow links.

The sleaze thread.

The ... adult forum.

I've been here forever, it seems.

Terry Funk: Forever, Forever. For-ever, Foreverrrrrrrrrrr.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

IWsnfR7.jpg

...?

I'm assuming they'll run an angle, because of course they will.  Who takes the bump?

I'm not sure D'lo bumping for Droz and letting Droz get his "revenge" would exactly constitute taking the high road.  But it certainly beats the alternative, where the handicapped guy bumps for the wrestler who accidentally paralyzed him.

I'm hoping the promoter doesn't do anything distasteful with these two, but I'm not optimistic.

8 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Upper body only, I believe. Which is good, because it’s an upper body business. 

*...I know.

Petrol is also doing his edgy, cancer bit to warm up the crowd for Kenny Bania.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In a broader sense - if you want non wrestling discussion you are going to only find it here. Frankly there are plenty of people here who ignore the Wrestling Forum and just visit for the Movies and Video Games or Sports.

Specifically - there are certain areas that discussion is lively here than there (and vice versa)

Just picking one randomly off the top of my head - I would say you find the discussion of Joshi far greater here.

As you poke around both places - you will find the stuff you are looking for.

Something that I’ve noticed skimming both boards is that there seems to be much more discussion about current wrestling in DVDVR while PWO is more focused on past wrestling. There are the big PPV discussions for WWE on PWO but my favorite promotion right now is NJPW and these seems to be very little discussion about current NJPW.

The modern NJPW thread barely gets traffic on PWO. It’s been around for 4 years and only 33 pages. While halfway through the G1 thread here, there’s already 13 pages. You’re not gonna see much of any discussion about the G1 right now on PWO. There’s also the IMPACT and ROH and a lot of other promotions are discussed on DVDVR. PWO at least in terms of the current wrestling landscape seems to be largely WWE discussion.

That’s just my first impressions.

2 minutes ago, Swiftian said:

Just watched Pumping Iron for the first time. Besides Schwarzenegger, did anybody in that doc get involved in wrestling in any way?

I am positive Lou Ferrigno has done wrestling stuff in at least being shown in the crowd or something

4 hours ago, Swiftian said:

Just watched Pumping Iron for the first time. Besides Schwarzenegger, did anybody in that doc get involved in wrestling in any way?

I don’t know since I’ve never seen it. But it gives me a chance to post that sound collage Kurt made which Nirvana played over the PA prior to them going on stage during their late ‘89 European tour. From Arnold’s “Total Body Workout” LP...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Enjoy this Roman Reigns compilation video when failure is rewarded:

https://streamable.com/o76oa

Rollins is getting another IC title shot at SummerSlam, despite failing. But not a peep. Because Rollins, for reasons only Satan knows why.

Besides, that trope is old hat. The "I am Stone Cold/HHH/John Cena/Roman Reigns so I get good matches even when I don't ask for them" rule isn't new.

• Like 1