DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

3 hours ago, Meltzing Pot said:

Did you get it directly from Grey Dog or whatever the main site is? What do you guys use to play it? In other words, is there an app or something I need to DL to play?

I got it from Grey Dog. It was... $26 after the summer discount? It’s super convoluted to install a historical mod/current data update, but there’s videos out there that walk you through it step by step. You don’t need an app or anything to play it, I’m using Windows 10 on a basic Toshiba laptop.

I seriously wasted like 4-6 hours last night simming through about 4 months, then opened my own promotion at the start of the year. The preset “styles” for your promotion are pretty cool, but you can customize that as well.

I think the funniest thing in-game that’s happened so far is New Japan making one signing throughout my time in the game so far - Alberto Del Rio. And he immediately starts tagging with Sho and Yoh.

Bray was on fire in-ring at that point in 2014. He'd just had something that I might class as five stars (or very close to it) with the Bryan match at the Rumble. Then, the next month he has that classic six-man against the Shield. Yeah, he was the worst guy in the ring against Bryan, and he was the fourth-best guy in the ring at best in the six-man, but he was just so hot. He was a threat, the Wyatts were a threat, and then they just cooled him off in the most senseless way with that awful Cena feud. 

I know they cool off guys all the time, but remember that coming out of that Elimination Chamber and into that Wrestlemania, they legitimately had Wyatt along with Rollins, Ambrose, Reigns, and Bryan as a seeming group that they could make into their main-event mainstay core. Bryan got hurt, but they just screwed up each and every one of those other four guys. Ambrose is salvageable, I bet, and maybe the crowd is still into Rollins? I don't know, actually. But still. They had Bryan and the Shield kill off Batista, Orton, and the New Age Outlaws, which felt pretty symbolic. It's staggering how badly they fucked that whole thing up.

Not that it matters since they are a very stable company that produces lots of live programming, which is at a premium in 2018. If this were 1995, they'd be getting rid of the water coolers in Titan Towers again. 

• Like 4

Rollins can still be a top guy in the company he's had a big resurgence since the injury. The rest of them,  probably not.  I don't think Bray will ever recover.  They also missed on Cesaro around that time.  He was having great TV matches with Bryan and Orton and others and then he won the Andre Battle Royal.  It all looked like he was well on his way to at least a big time I.C. champion type but they cooled him off.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Since my memory sucks - I am thinking most people will say Cena/AJ from... god... was it Royal Rumble last year?

Of course - I know a lot for folks get cranky over Big Match John

Yes, Royal Rumble 2017 and that's my answer to @FlaeBlazer

7 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

What is your guys’ opinion on CageMatch ratings?

I usually go there to see if there any good matches that I haven’t heard about or if I can’t watch a full show and I’ll just see what’s worth watching based on the ratings.

They're hit and miss like anywhere else. I've found some interesting stuff from guys I like recently to dig around for,  but stuff can be all over the place in what they think of it with some obvious biases for and against certain wrestlers. If something looks good and there's no ratings there, it doesn't mean it isn't good. Their user base isn't that big to see everything in abundance.

About Punk/Brock: my big problem with the match (and it's a really good match) is really a broad problem with WWE in general. They made the babyface look stupid. The second he put Paul in the Vice, everyone and their mother knew Brock was gonna break the hold and win the match. CM Punk looked like a stupid dumbass.

If he just kicks Paul in the head, and turns right back to Brock, but Brock has already recovered because he's an inhuman monster, that's fine. Punk had to do something about Paul, and the outside interference cost him the match. But instead, Punk being fucking stupid and torturing Heyman while the 300 lb UFC champion ubermensch was recovering... That's on Mr. Brooks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

About Punk/Brock: my big problem with the match (and it's a really good match) is really a broad problem with WWE in general. They made the babyface look stupid. The second he put Paul in the Vice, everyone and their mother knew Brock was gonna break the hold and win the match. CM Punk looked like a stupid dumbass.

If he just kicks Paul in the head, and turns right back to Brock, but Brock has already recovered because he's an inhuman monster, that's fine. Punk had to do something about Paul, and the outside interference cost him the match. But instead, Punk being fucking stupid and torturing Heyman while the 300 lb UFC champion ubermensch was recovering... That's on Mr. Brooks.

I dunno, I think it still sort of works with the story they were telling. Punk was only ever able to gain an advantage over Brock because he was basically throwing himself at him, and using physics and weapons against him. Anytime Punk got too confident and tried going toe to toe with Brock, Brock would take over and beat the shit out of him. So Punk going after Heyman like that is just another example of his hubris getting the better of him. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 12:18 PM, Casey said:

Very random, but I just bought TEW 2016 (on sale) and then spent like 4 hours totally immersed in that fucking game.

So much detail. EWR is having a resurgence thanks to Janela and some indy guys on Twitter, but this is totally worth 20ish dollars.

I'm still an EWR guy 15 years later, so I always wonder if the level of detail in TEW would be kind of overwhelming. EWR to me is good because I'll just book a show or two real quick on a random night before bed or something just to kinda cool out from the day, like how some people read or watch TV

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm still an EWR guy 15 years later, so I always wonder if the level of detail in TEW would be kind of overwhelming. EWR to me is good because I'll just book a show or two real quick on a random night before bed or something just to kinda cool out from the day, like how some people read or watch TV

This is only the second time I’ve ever tried TEW. I hated it the first time, but I like the details like being able to have tours and stuff.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

This is only the second time I’ve ever tried TEW. I hated it the first time, but I like the details like being able to have tours and stuff.

Nice thing about a lot of the micromanagement aspects is that they can be turned off now. You can get the computer to streamline a lot of the detail oriented shit or features that make life more difficult/realistic if that's what you want. 

54 minutes ago, FlaeBlazer said:

I’m new to this place and I just discovered Pro Wrestling Only.

What’s the difference between DVDVR and Pro Wrestling Only?

They look basically the same.

Mostly, PWO only discusses pro wrestling.

47 minutes ago, FlaeBlazer said:

Which place has more users and more discussion?

Depends on the discussion you are looking for.

There is also a decent amount of crossover posters

EDIT - And I should note that both of us are running Invision boards - hence the similar look

2 hours ago, caley said:

I think DVDVR is more niche.  It's more like PWO is The Economist and DVDVR is like Cat Fancier

But, if you're really unhappy with Wreddit, that's probably a selling point for this board.

Wreddit has a lot of younger posters who think they know more than they do.

DVDVR has a lot of older posters here, which is good because most of us are too old for that bullshit and just want to talk some wrestling. 

• Like 3

I remember when this place only talked about wrestling.

I remember the current events thread.

The green background and yellow links.

The sleaze thread.

The ... adult forum.

I've been here forever, it seems.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

But, if you're really unhappy with Wreddit, that's probably a selling point for this board.

Wreddit has a lot of younger posters who think they know more than they do.

DVDVR has a lot of older posters here, which is good because most of us are too old for that bullshit and just want to talk some wrestling. 

And then digress into discussing fast food or pets or old tv shows or ...

• Like 4