DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

1 minute ago, Phantom Lord said:

I didn't watch much Japanese wrestling, but I recall in the aftermath of Misawa's death people were mentioning how bad his neck had been for years and despite that he continued to take that neck drop back suplex in pretty much every match. So that catastrophic injury could have happened at any time.

If I recall correctly the news that came out then was that his doctors had told him to retire several times for several years before then. He actually did want to retire, but felt he had to stay to hold up the promotion.

The guys who you expect to get hurt do, for the most part. Honma, Shibata and Hiromu surprised nobody. The two remaining bets I don't want to take are A) Ishii and B) Potentially Any Kenny Omega Opponent. If some of the less bump-happy guys that are ascending to the top, like Jay White, EVIL or ZSJ hurt somebody I'd be doubly concerned.

16 hours ago, Casey said:

DeGeneration NXT was right there, man.

Don't get started on missed puns/word play.

I'm still fuming that Ciampa missed the obvious 'Fade to Black...heart' line in his NXT Title promo.

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

The guys who you expect to get hurt do, for the most part. Honma, Shibata and Hiromu surprised nobody. The two remaining bets I don't want to take are A) Ishii and B) Potentially Any Kenny Omega Opponent. If some of the less bump-happy guys that are ascending to the top, like Jay White, EVIL or ZSJ hurt somebody I'd be doubly concerned.

No way. Maybe he falls into B, but Osprey is the guy I keep thinking something awful is going to happen to and that goes back at least a couple/few years now. I worry about Okada a lot too. 

35 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Osprey is the guy I keep thinking something awful is going to happen to

Oh, totally seconded. That dude is a bump freak and working with the Juniors might be even more detrimental to your career then trading headbutts with Ishii. 

9 hours ago, EVA said:

He was already a 3-time IWGP champion and had elevated the IC title to virtually equal status, to the point the fans voted it into the main event of WK one year.

I think you are being very generous here. Tanahashi was massive part of WK8 main event and IC title getting elevated. Remove the ace and none of those things would have happened.

And Okada/Nakamura WK main event? We can't know that, for example just as likely to me it looks that AJ would have won G1 instead of Omega if he stayed.

On 7/25/2018 at 9:36 PM, mattdangerously said:

"Gingerly" would be my guess.

As dumb as this spot is, this match is fucking God-tier.

Considering it's their last real singles match against each other, it's the epitome of everything they ever did built up into one ultimate spot. (I don't count their 10 minute draw on a Xmas show as anything that matters.)

Very random, but I just bought TEW 2016 (on sale) and then spent like 4 hours totally immersed in that fucking game.

So much detail. EWR is having a resurgence thanks to Janela and some indy guys on Twitter, but this is totally worth 20ish dollars.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

Very random, but I just bought TEW 2016 (on sale) and then spent like 4 hours totally immersed in that fucking game.

So much detail. EWR is having a resurgence thanks to Janela and some indy guys on Twitter, but this is totally worth 20ish dollars.

And there are so many great historical/current day mods. Enjoy! I'm spending a lot of August tweaking and setting up the War of the Immortals mod for a draft with my buds. Nice unofficial feature is you can set up dropbox so it syncs between you and your friends' computers making mulitplayer a cinch. 

• Like 1

I hate r/SquaredCircle so much. The constant turf wars between WWE shills and fans of non-WWE wrestling is actually unbearable.The comments about the David Starr tweet are terrible. Some of those fuckers would tell you that Misawa and Kobashi were minor league wrestlers because they didn’t work for WWE.

50 minutes ago, FlaeBlazer said:

Some of those fuckers would tell you that Misawa and Kobashi were minor league wrestlers because they didn’t work for WWE.

And yet, if you dare to criticize anyone in Bullet Club, you get harassed and downvoted into oblivion.  'Tis a silly place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

And yet, if you dare to criticize anyone in Bullet Club, you get harassed and downvoted into oblivion.  'Tis a silly place. 

I’m so happy I found this place. There seems to be actual wrestling discussion here.

3 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

I hate r/SquaredCircle so much. The constant turf wars between WWE shills and fans of non-WWE wrestling is actually unbearable.The comments about the David Starr tweet are terrible. Some of those fuckers would tell you that Misawa and Kobashi were minor league wrestlers because they didn’t work for WWE.

You're more likely to get impassioned arguments about the relative greatness of Taue here.

• Like 1

No, you can leave in Taue, the rest is still true. Were any of the David Starr takes overwhelmingly anti-Semitic? Being reddit, I just expect it.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Did you get it directly from Grey Dog or whatever the main site is? What do you guys use to play it? In other words, is there an app or something I need to DL to play?

36 minutes ago, Ryan said:

No, you can leave in Taue, the rest is still true. Were any of the David Starr takes overwhelmingly anti-Semitic? Being reddit, I just expect it.

Nobody was insulting David Starr or even talking about him. It was mostly just discussion about what he said. Most agreed with him but some argued that WWE was the “be-all-end-all” of wrestling. Some guy compared them to the NFL and outside WWE wrestling to CFL. Ya know, the typical BS cliche.

I’m new to this place but I really appreciate that there is a lot of legitimate discussion here and general friendliness. I was kinda got burned out on Wreddit as most of the Wreddit users only watch WWE but think they know way more about wrestling than they actually do. 

So many people there comment on products they don’t watch. 

I’ve seen some WWE fans making fun of Impact for only drawing 1000 to Slammiversary. 1000 is great considering they were paying people to attend shows a few years ago.

There’s also the subsection of NJPW fans that think it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread and any slight criticism is shut down and downvoted to hell.

There’s also the obviously paid Impact shills.

There’s currently a passive aggressive fan war going on there between staunch WWE loyalists and NJPW/ROH/Impact/indie wrestling fans.

Some of the non-WWE wrestling fans have a chip on their shoulder and want to prove they’re better fans. A lot of the WWE fans are upset that other wrestling like NJPW for example is more acclaimed and resent it as a result so they want to knock it and its fans down a peg.

If any of you have been there, you know that Dave Meltzer is a very polarizing figure on there.

Half the sub hates him with a fury because he doesn’t rate WWE matches as high as they want him to and he’s a staunch advocate for NJPW. And half of the sub loves him and uses his opinion to validate their own.

It’s just such a toxic place. Like, why can’t people just appreciate wrestling there on that subreddit?

• Like 1

Bix made a comment that I am now trying to figure out if there are any other options

Will Meiko Satomura be the last WCW wrestler to make their WWE debut?

I know people have the dream of Alex Wright but that ain't happening.

Scott Norton?

Didn't WCW sign Christopher Daniels to a 90 day after Scott Steiner nearly killed him? Or he nearly killed himself on a botch? Something involving him and Mike Modest.

Daniels appeared on both Jakked and Shotgun Saturday Night

And we can count all the wrestlers under the sun - the point is there the possibility any of them actually show up in WWE now.