DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

Riddle was telling people recently that he chose WWE over NJPW and that weed wasn't an issue with NJPW (don't get that part but whatever). I would've loved to see him fuck shit up in New Japan but it was time either way. He and Lee had stagnated a bit on the indies. When people ask about 'if not Roman, who?' Matt Riddle is who. He's got it all. Only things I can see going wrong is him not fitting in with the corporate structure of wwe or not being able to pull off scripted promos/being given the RVD treatment with those scripted promos. 

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Riddle was telling people recently that he chose WWE over NJPW and that weed wasn't an issue with NJPW (don't get that part but whatever). I would've loved to see him fuck shit up in New Japan but it was time either way. He and Lee had stagnated a bit on the indies. When people ask about 'if not Roman, who?' Matt Riddle is who. He's got it all. Only things I can see going wrong is him not fitting in with the corporate structure of wwe or not being able to pull off scripted promos/being given the RVD treatment with those scripted promos. 

I still don't see the star power with Riddle. I know you, Rippa, and others really love him. In ring I do think he's great, but I don't dig the bro/stoner gimmick. I want to like it, but I feel something is missing and it will only get worse when he's force fed shit ass lines from creative.

Yeah, maybe NJPW would be better...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I still don't see the star power with Riddle. I know you, Rippa, and others really love him. In ring I do think he's great, but I don't dig the bro/stoner gimmick. I want to like it, but I feel something is missing and it will only get worse when he's force fed shit ass lines from creative.

Yeah, maybe NJPW would be better...

Dude needs a mouthpiece. He's the least intimidating ass kicker around sounding like Jeff Spicoli. 

That's part of his charm. He's a lovable stoner goof with supreme confidence and coolness. I don't get Meltzer's complaint that he can't cut a promo, he can definitely talk. I mean, if you can get Heyman to be his mouthpiece, fine, but I like his promo style. 

It's not all just "bro, bro, bro," as this mini-doc demonstrates. He's got some range and even he recognizes that he kind of coasted a little bit with the mic/character work for a bit there. The original mini-doc that Kenny Johnson did is still up on Youtube and has him explain his basic approach to pro-wrestling and fleshes out his character. It's great.

One plus of him going to WWE is he can't do that silly tombstone slam anymore. 

• Like 3

To be fair - Meltzer said that Riddle would most likely be a modern day Kerry Von Erich in terms of how big a star he could be.

And he also said that he cuts promos basically as well as Roman Reigns and clearly that doesn't stop them from pushing Reigns

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To be fair - Meltzer said that Riddle would most likely be a modern day Kerry Von Erich in terms of how big a star he could be

Perhaps not the only reason to compare him to Kerry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Are we talking Kerry Von Erich in Texas or mostly aimless midcarder Texas Tornado Kerry Von Erich?

Count me in the crowd that doesn't get Matt Riddle.  I don't really dislike him.  More like i don't have a strong feeling about him one way or the other.  I'd probably prefer to watch Roman Reigns, for whatever that's worth, and I'm mostly indifferent to Roman.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

"Gimmick" ? 

Matt Riddle is the most methodist of method actors.  Who knew?

6 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Only things I can see going wrong is him not fitting in with the corporate structure of wwe

6 hours ago, Oyaji said:

weed

8 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

We can't even get all of America to lighten up on pot.

Well, if RVD can keep getting away with it periodically? I mean I can't think of anybody else. 

A large number of the roster smokes weed pretty liberally (I mean, even for just the pain relief if nothing else I can only imagine) and just pay the stupid fine WWE has for it. I can't see that being a problem.

• Like 1

Even if you don’t think Riddle’s great yet, he’s only been at this for about 3.5 years; and for nearly all of that he’s been a big enough indie star to be totally indulged in terms of wrestling/promo style. While I’d have preferred to see a New Japan run first, he strikes me as the kind of guy real coaching at the PC will help a lot. He’ll get direction, be told no, etc, and probably find more creativity with a little structure.

12 hours ago, Oyaji said:

That's part of his charm. He's a lovable stoner goof with supreme confidence and coolness. I don't get Meltzer's complaint that he can't cut a promo, he can definitely talk. I mean, if you can get Heyman to be his mouthpiece, fine, but I like his promo style. 

It's not all just "bro, bro, bro," as this mini-doc demonstrates. He's got some range and even he recognizes that he kind of coasted a little bit with the mic/character work for a bit there. The original mini-doc that Kenny Johnson did is still up on Youtube and has him explain his basic approach to pro-wrestling and fleshes out his character. It's great.

One plus of him going to WWE is he can't do that silly tombstone slam anymore. 

Yeah, I have to admit he sounds a lot better in that video than I've seen before. Maybe I just want more managers in wrestling again.

• Thanks 1