DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Most of the strange opinions come from you

You know you're just begging for a really interesting thread... If I do it, it will be in LoC.

4 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

It's funny to me how "flaming fag" is always the go-to for going after Lawler when if you actually watched his stuff in Memphis, there is SO MUCH worse to call him out over.  Mocking minorities for their big lips, embracing homophobia, and a major angle where he punched a woman in the face (which literally led to one of the biggest pops you'll ever see.)  Don't even pretend WWE corrupted him.  That was probably his idea.

Memphis was pretty appalling in general and Lawler was a huge part of it. 

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

He just straight up said "I don't like gays."

I'm fairly surprised some of The Rock's old material hasn't come back to haunt him now that he's mainstream, but the current owner has literally said the N-word on tv, and the heir apparent did a blackface performance as a babyface. Wrestling seems to have some kind of weird immunity bubble for egregious bigotry, even relative the rest of the world where being a rich white man gets you out of most things unscathed. Shit, even Papa John had to symbolically leave his company before retiring to his castle and a lifetime of unimaginable wealth.

Brock has always been a general asshat, so this is hardly a surprise. 

Wrestling has always been inherently nasty when it comes to bigotry. Most of you guys barely remember the AWA, but they actually ran an angle between Col. De Beers (South African apartheid supporter), and a young black wrestler, Ricky Rice wherein the loser of their match would be painted white or black. I know Verne was already getting senile then, but my jaw just dropped when they announced this shit. 

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Sucks to read about Howard Finkel, the greatest wrestling ring announcer ever.

And......NEW!

Agreee he is the GOAT but the one I find myself copying is the WCW announcer from the late 90’s or early 2000s.

No idea of his name I just remember him announcing Sting as; “This. Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis. Staaaaaaaaaaaang.”

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

It's strange how in the context of things, Rock cutting grossly homophobic and anti-trans promos twice a week for about 10 years gets well overlooked.

11 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yeah, as a shitty teen, I loved that stuff without thinking about it, but as a less shitty adult, I find most of the Attitude Era unwatchable, tbh. 

Yeah, a lot of stuff we enjoyed as kids wouldn't pass muster today.  Despite the fact that we now have out and proud Nazis in America, we're definitely a little more "woke" today on the whole.  As an example, I heard "Funky Cold Medina" on the radio a few weeks ago and thought, "holy shit!  There's no way this would be released today."  The song is essentially about roofies, with a side of transphobia thrown in.

Wrestling is always going to give you moral issues, unless you are immoral, in which case it won’t.

Dave getting deep in the new WON

Okay - tangentially related to the discussion of the last few pages. From said new WON

It should also be noted that in WWE, there are great repercussions for going against company decisions. Both Ric Flair and Bret Hart gave up podcasts partially because any frank talk on WWE could have led to repercussions for Flair on his daughter and for Hart on his niece. It could be something a simple as Flair making a statement that he felt Finn Balor was too small for be in the main event of WrestleMania, the irony being that was a point Vince McMahon himself has very clearly decided as well, but you’re not supposed to say it. And he was given a speech about it to the point he decided to drop his podcast. Whether outright said or not, the implication to all talent is not to say anything negative about the company or its decisions in a public forum. Steve Austin was the biggest star in the company, and one day, frustrated, publicly said that the writing sucked. The next Monday he was asked to do a clean job for Brock Lesnar on Raw. While he does regret how he handled it today by walking out without talking about it, it was also a booking decision that at the time was clearly punitive and made no business sense.

Was it known that's why Flair and Hart stopped doing their podcasts? I am not really into the podcast "scene" so I am wondering if Dave is casually dropping some news or if this is one of those things that "everyone in the business" knew?

Flair stated he gave it up to do more appearances, and from listening he was dogging it for months by phoning in to talk to someone who had also phoned in with Conrad in the studio, so I don't know.

Bret's I never bothered with, I think he made a conscious decision to stop as he was getting a rep for being a curmudgeon

Bret was more of a co-host on his and yeah, he stopped because everyone looked at him as a curmudgeon. I like Dave, but he's talking out of his ass considering the number of active and in-active wrestlers that say negative shit about WWE on podcasts. Fucking Dolph was just basically saying before Extreme Rules that the writing sucked and they just won't have anything for you because they're not good and they don't know how to us talent like him. Now, before anyone says, well that's just Dolph and Dolph sucks, he still openly talked about creative not being good and he wound up winning at Extreme Rules.

11 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I recall Bruce saying on an episode of the podcast that Fink would only ever make it into the Hall posthumously. I don’t remember him elaborating. 

Any notion of that being Fink’s choice? Or is this just another case of that company being run by shitheels? 

Edit: I’m a fucking moron.

Not that big a moron - whether Fink has made it by now or not, Bruce absolutely did say something to that effect on a show, talking about Vince's whims when it comes to the HOF. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Agreee he is the GOAT but the one I find myself copying is the WCW announcer from the late 90’s or early 2000s.

No idea of his name I just remember him announcing Sting as; “This. Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis. Staaaaaaaaaaaang.”

David Penzer. I like that guy! Real tight mullet.

6 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

He just straight up said "I don't like gays."

I'm fairly surprised some of The Rock's old material hasn't come back to haunt him now that he's mainstream, but the current owner has literally said the N-word on tv, and the heir apparent did a blackface performance as a babyface. Wrestling seems to have some kind of weird immunity bubble for egregious bigotry, even relative the rest of the world where being a rich white man gets you out of most things unscathed. Shit, even Papa John had to symbolically leave his company before retiring to his castle and a lifetime of unimaginable wealth and bad pizza.

fixed

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

Flair stated he gave it up to do more appearances, and from listening he was dogging it for months by phoning in to talk to someone who had also phoned in with Conrad in the studio, so I don't know.

Bret's I never bothered with, I think he made a conscious decision to stop as he was getting a rep for being a curmudgeon

I can't imagine two guys in North America that I have enjoyed more watching wrestle that I would less like to hear a podcast from.

• Like 3

With The Rock, Lawler, and others in the Attitude Era, I think that as tasteless and offensive as some of their words were, it could be argued that they were playing a character. Granted, this just makes WWE as an organization look worse, but that's like pouring a bottle of water into the ocean. If Duane Johnson was recorded saying some awful shit about trans folk in his downtime, light the torches! 

I guess it's funny not-funny that Lawler the real dude is decidedly worse than his character due to his penchant for young women.

• Like 1

Lawler is a piece of shit, always has been. I felt badly when he had his heart attack, because I don't wish death on anyone, but I have no use for the guy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Chono/Rude in the finals is awesome IIRC

You are correct, how could anything with Rude/Chono be less than awesome? Those guys clicked perfectly.