DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

3 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

I feel like it would really creep me out sorry

The Joshi thread, like Joshi wrestling in general, is roughly 30 years ahead of its American counterparts. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm pretty sure that's true. He just kinda did it in his spare time.

I remember listening to him doing a call in radio show when the Foos’ first CD came out, and people kept asking him about the lyrics, and he kept saying “Look, there’s no deeper meaning behind them. I just needed lyrics to go with the songs.”

3 hours ago, Morganti said:

Random Dave grohl note.  I saw him play drums with tenacious d at blizzcon.  The next year he brought the foo fighters because he had so much fun and it was close to his house

Another random Dave Grohl note: he bought my aunt’s house in Alexandria, and it can be seen on the back cover art of their... third? CD.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Another random Dave Grohl note: he bought my aunt’s house in Alexandria, and it can be seen on the back cover art of their... third? CD.

No way. That’s awesome. “Studio 606” is what that became for the “There Is Nothing Left to Lose” sessions. 

2 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I remember listening to him doing a call in radio show when the Foos’ first CD came out, and people kept asking him about the lyrics, and he kept saying “Look, there’s no deeper meaning behind them. I just needed lyrics to go with the songs.”

Funny, because 95% of that album was already demo’d in early ‘93. Note for note, word for word.

(spoilers because nobody gives a shit about this stuff)

But, there are hidden meanings to a few, that had to do with his current state in Nirvana. “Alone + Easy Target”, “Exhausted” (they jammed on these two at a few soundchecks in late ‘91, with Kurt on drums), “Big Me”, “I’ll Stick Around”, which he admitted was about Courtney. There’s a bunch of others but I don’t wanna bore you. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Didn’t he play drums for a semi successful D.C. based punk band before Nirvana?

Scream

Grohl also had the side project, Probot. There are just way too many awesome musicians on the Probot album to list, so I'm just going to put the link to the wikipedia page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probot

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

I feel like it would really creep me out sorry

We are oddly enough the least creepy part of the wrestling sections of the board. I don't think we've had a settle down moment yet.

46 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Scream

Grohl also had the side project, Probot. There are just way too many awesome musicians on the Probot album to list, so I'm just going to put the link to the wikipedia page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probot

It wasn’t Probot, but his song for Iommi’s album was pretty good. “Goodbye Lament”. I think that and possibly one other is what pissed Zakk Wylde off, as mentioned earlier. 

I liked Probot/Queens-era Dave. He went back to his roots since the Foos took a hiatus after “One By One” blew (they made two versions and both sucked, the second being the final release). His QOTSA contributions were great, since he was doing what he does best, drumming. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

We do have a music forum on this board, don’t we?? 

We’re doing a slow build to when one of us posts the DDP/Raven MTV clip, in which Dave was right there for. Unfortunately it’s not to be found.

But if it was, heh, boy oh boy...

• Like 1

Man, that Titus post is perfect. I've been struggling with how to respond to this situation and he perfectly encapsulated the need for both giving second chances and recognizing that Hulk's an insincere prick and what he said was disgusting. I hope he's remembered more for this than the rumble trip. 

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Didn’t he play drums for a semi successful D.C. based punk band before Nirvana?

Second drummer for Scream. I liked Nirvana because they had drums from Scream and second guitar from The Germs. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

We’re doing a slow build to when one of us posts the DDP/Raven MTV clip, in which Dave was right there for. Unfortunately it’s not to be found.

But if it was, heh, boy oh boy...

Image result for raven ddp mtv

Petrol, you owe me dinner at Mendy's...twice.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, ka-to said:

Second drummer for Scream. I liked Nirvana because they had drums from Scream and second guitar from The Germs. 

It’s a shame Pat didn’t get to do much other than ghost Kurt during the “In Utero” tour. You look at him now, and yeah he’s older and more refined, but he’s had skill and didn’t get to do much. He was great during his first Foo stint. There’s a great UK show from 11/‘95 at Brixton Academy you should check out if you’ve never seen it. It’s insane.

Video in spoilers. 

Here’s the MTV edit:

Here’s a potato quality version featuring the full set, which has early versions of a bunch of songs, take your pick: 

• Like 1

The quality is garbage. I didn't record this, but it's still kind of worth sharing. First, seeing Fear Factory on MTV was kind of trip, as they never got much airplay. Their cover of Gary Numan's "Cars" didn't even get much airplay.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Victator said:

I heard he played every instrument on the first Foo Fighters album and only hired a band when they went on tour. 

Every instrument except for one song, which had Greg Dulli from Afghan Whigs on guitar.

Grohl was also invited by Tom Petty to join the Heartbreakers after Nirvana ended. He turned down the offer, but if you watch Petty's SNL performance in November of 94, that's Grohl on drums.

Anywho, since this is actually a wrestling thread, if anyone is looking for the Bullet Club Pop Vinyls, Kenny and Cody are out now.  Not sure about the Young Bucks two-pack.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Image result for raven ddp mtv

Petrol, you owe me dinner at Mendy's...twice.

i remember watching that live that night. What a weird time with WCW doing so much stuff with MTV. I'm pretty sure Raven DDT'ed him on a stop sign on the studio floor.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

i remember watching that live that night. What a weird time with WCW doing so much stuff with MTV. I'm pretty sure Raven DDT'ed him on a stop sign on the studio floor.

Yes, Raven did DDT Page on a stop sign.

9 hours ago, Player One said:

It's cute how you string random words into a sentence and pretend it means something to us elderly.  After "Nirvana", the only words in that sentence that mean anything to me are for, sometimes, and the.

I had no idea that Tenacious D was a real thing.   Wasn't that the project with Jack Black and... some other bald, heavyset comedian?  I thought that was a Spinal Tap deal for some movie or comedy special or something.  

Now, I feel really old.

Ye gods, I'm guessing that I'm older than you (61 in less than an hour) and I have every Foo Fighters CD ever released, you have no idea what you are missing. Tell you what, you're no doubt familiar with Joan Jett, the 1st Lady of Rock? Good, now get thee to youtube and search "Dave Grohl and Joan Jett", you'll be glad you did.

• Like 1