DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

Drummer for Nirvana, front man for Foo Fighters, drummer for Tenacious D, sometimes drummer for Queens of the Stone Age, drummer for Them Crooked Vultures...

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Drummer for Nirvana, front man for Foo Fighters, drummer for Tenacious D, sometimes drummer for Queens of the Stone Age, drummer for Them Crooked Vultures...

It's cute how you string random words into a sentence and pretend it means something to us elderly.  After "Nirvana", the only words in that sentence that mean anything to me are for, sometimes, and the.

I had no idea that Tenacious D was a real thing.   Wasn't that the project with Jack Black and... some other bald, heavyset comedian?  I thought that was a Spinal Tap deal for some movie or comedy special or something.  

Now, I feel really old.

I understand not knowing about Them Crooked Vultures. Hell, I'll even give you Queens of the Stone Age and Tenacious D. But not knowing the Foo Fighters? Even if you've never heard a song of theirs, I would think most people regardless of age would be aware of that band.

42 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I heard he played every instrument on the first Foo Fighters album and only hired a band when they went on tour. 

41 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Dave Grohl also had the fun series "Sonic Highways" on HBO that discusses music history in different cities. Highly recommended

Even if you're not a Foo Fighters fan any music fan should check it out.

And I'm a Foo Fighters fan.  Saw them at Merriweather two weeks ago and it was one of the best shows I ever went to.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I understand not knowing about Them Crooked Vultures. Hell, I'll even give you Queens of the Stone Age and Tenacious D. But not knowing the Foo Fighters? Even if you've never heard a song of theirs, I would think most people regardless of age would be aware of that band.

Wiki says Foo Fighters got together in 1994.  In 1994, I 26 years old and  living in Europe, working 70-80 hours a week for one of the largest accounting firms in the world.  Also got married and got my MBA in night school during that same period.  I listened to roughly zero music during that period, and, if I had listened to music, it wouldn't have been grunge, metal, college alternative, etc.

I wasn't joking when I said Pearl Jam and Nirvana were the only two grunge bands I could name.  Right now, I'm trying to think of a song title from either of those and drawing a blank.  I didn't listen to college alternative music even when I was in college.

With minimal effort, you could probably convince me that Dave Grohl pinned Bockwinkle for the AWA Title at the Cow Palace and I'd believe you.   Dave Grohl'd best shot at me noticing him in the 90's would have involved him joining the Dave Matthews band (My wife is still a big fan).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

You don't have to like his music to appreciate his love for music.

Grohl is also a huge VoiVod fan which automatically gets love from me.

Reminds me, people are missing Probot

Also, this is the only reason I like him -- him liking cool music and giving cool musicians a paycheck, and seemingly being a genuinely nice person. His original stuff/hired hand work is trash, even Scream. 

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
3 hours ago, Ace said:

The only AJ match of Dustin I can find online is in 1990 against Davey Boy Smith. It isn't good.

Was that the one where he tries an elbow drop off the middle but lands on his feet then sorta falls over, causing the crowd (and the announcers I think?) to laugh at him? Because yeah, that was pretty bad.

35 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

His original stuff/hired hand work is trash, even Scream. 

Look, you may not like the stuff he put out after he made it big (as himself, not with Nirvana), but you can’t say with a straight face, that his stuff is trash. What he recorded during his Nirvana time, which ended up being early Foos stuff until ‘99, is really good. (I know they still do well for themselves, I’m just an era guy and like stuff up to ‘99.)

His songs (secretly released during his time in Nirvana) as Late! and what came to be the early Foo stuff are really good for what they are.

Also, the Scream stuff isn’t that bad. I’m not a Scream fan, but I enjoy their last record with him, “Fumble”. The songs are pretty decent. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dog said:

"Dave Grohl? FUCK Dave Grohl!" - Zakk Wylde

Wow, it's not even CLOSE to August yet.

I think that's back from when Sharon was looking for more "mainstream" songs for Ozzy around the time Down To Earth came out. Dave submitted a couple of songs and Zakk was all "I wanna see him play the solo from Mr. Crowley". Of course Zakk and Dave are cool now.

Also from that All Japan tour with Dustin, are any of those matches on video? Dustin and Harley Race sounds like an amazing team. Young up and comer and the surly grizzled vet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Phantom Lord said:

Also from that All Japan tour with Dustin, are any of those matches on video? Dustin and Harley Race sounds like an amazing team. Young up and comer and the surly grizzled vet.

Only one seems to be a partial match against Davey Boy Smith