DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

49 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I think an all women ppv would do fine as long its headlined by Charlotte vs. Ronda or Horsewomen vs. Horsewomen. I don't see anything else working right now w/o a good deal of build.

Running Horsewomen vs Horsewomen on an all women show will likely result in a more top heavy card than this is already going to be. I’d run it at a normal PPV (if we have to do it at all). 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Uhm, that isn't a rumor. WWE confirmed it themselves. She was the first announced participant.

Oh okay thanks. I was being very cautious with the spoiler as I had heard second hand it was only a rumor. 

5 hours ago, Peck said:

You can’t discount the effect Marc Summers had on millions of children...

... although I guess you could say the same about Sanders. :blink:

Summer Glau > Summer Sanders

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

That would make sense, I don't know that I'm sold on the idea of a PPV, if it flops for any reason it sets the clock back a decade.

The women's Royal Rumble was better than the men's; the women's Elimination Chamber was better than the men's; and the two best matches at Wrestlemania involved women.  They'll be fine.

• Like 4

That dude was mad over in 2014. It's insane how badly they fucked up with Roman Reigns. 

It's analogous to what they did with Lex Luger in 1994 except on repeat. Push Luger to the moon (except that Reigns's popularity was far more organic), have him win his big title shot by count-out, have him go 50/50 with Bret Hart at the Rumble, the WORST POSSIBLE PERSON to pit Luger against since Bret was pretty much beloved by the fans. Except I guess this is like if Luger lost to Yokozuna at WM two out of three years in a row and got intermittently pushed down the card only to be raised up it again in order to lose again. 

Re: Babyfaces, watching NXT a couple years back made me realize that I just want to see some white-meat pure babyfaces overcome the odds. Actually, I think the millennials who watch WWE shows want to see good people beat the evil machine that tries to take advantage of their goodness. Roman Reigns isn't that guy for a lot of reasons, but the idea of a little guy overcoming the unfair corporate execs and their machinations is actually more relevant in 2018 to this specific audience than it ever was (as tired as some of us are with that focus). 

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Summer Glau > Summer Sanders

The women's Royal Rumble was better than the men's; the women's Elimination Chamber was better than the men's; and the two best matches at Wrestlemania involved women.  They'll be fine.

I hope you are right, because I love women's wrestling and the fact that the US has finally caught up to Japan.

• Like 2

I know it’s probably not happening, but what if Bryan jumps ship. That would be the first key piece in this saga. He could show up at All In and that would be a big statement. 7 weeks away. 

Also Nakamura will be a free agent before this show. On the flip side of course wwe will through a ton of money at omega and the bucks. Interesting times. 

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

I know it’s probably not happening, but what if Bryan jumps ship. That would be the first key piece in this saga. He could show up at All In and that would be a big statement. 7 weeks away. 

Also Nakamura will be a free agent before this show. On the flip side of course wwe will through a ton of money at omega and the bucks. Interesting times. 

Hell of a year, 2018:

Jericho in NJPW. 

NXT's having it's best year. 

Bryan is wrestling again. 

Rousey in the WWE as a wrestler. 

Will Bryan stay or leave WWE? 

All In Event.

NJPW/ROH MSG during WrestleMania weekend. 

We've still more of 2018 to come.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've got a buddy in North Carolina (originally from Jersey) that already said he's coming up for the New Japan/ROH MSG show. Between that and Takeover, I couldn't give a fuck about WM.

Thinking about it from the same state.   I did get to see the CEO show this year which was awesome.   My big concern is weather- especially since I'd want to do something in Buffalo afterwards.   Zero interest in WM itself- would just be coming for NJPW.

3 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Bank on it now. John Cena has his NXT match at the Wrestlemania weekend Takerover. 

Cena vs. Ciampa. 

I am assuming Undertaker vs Lars Sullivan is gonna be on that show

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Craig H said:

Most fans believe the opposite because Roman has had a million different opportunities. No one is ever going to buy someone that big or with that many opportunities as any kind of underdog or someone being held down by Vince. It worked with Daniel Bryan for obvious reasons. It worked for CM Punk for similar reasons.

Think about this...If Undertaker were 5 or 6 years into his run as Undertaker now, he'd be booked like Roman because that's all creative knows. Imagine Undertaker as an underdog or as a guy who shouldn't be the champion because the authority or whatever doesn't think he'd be a good representative of the company. That is fucking insane.

One trope I really wish they'd drop is people wanting to be "the face of the company" or "the future of WWE" and any of that bullshit. I can't stand it. Why is Dolph Ziggler, who has been in WWE for a damn near 14 years, out here crowing about being the future of the company in 2018? Why should I give a fuck if someone makes a good representative for the company or not or if they become the future of the WWE? And you're right, I could totally see them doing that to Taker. "We can't have an undead zombie representing the company on The View!"

Also, I really want them to drop the stupid thing of heels calling the show "Monday Night (insert heel's name here)". I know that Cornette's statute of limitations on angle theft is 7 years but that's a heel tactic that should've been left back in 1998 with Monday Night Jericho.

21 hours ago, Peck said:

Summers, ranked:

1. Summer of George

2. Summer of Punk

3. Marc Summers

4. Summer Sanders

5. Indian Summer

6. Summer Rae

742. Summer of Lesnar

17 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

7. summer sausages

8. strippers named "Summer"

9. Bryan Adams's "Summer Of '69"

10. Wet Hot American Summer

Summer Rental with John Candy has to be there somewhere.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Player One said:

India Summer should be somewhere on that summer list, even though I have absolutely no idea who she is and have never even heard of her.

Don't Google her at work

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Would the Women's PPV be slotted into the open space in October (I think?) where the Australian shows are the only "PPV" in the month?

Well with October being breast cancer awareness month and WWE having such a snug relationship with the carnies at Komen, I'm not sure I could deal with all the self-congratulation

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Ace said:

ROH's WM show usually does.

Oh I know - my point was specifically to Dolfan since I know he was talking buying tickets and I know he normally goes to the Takeover show.

That being said - there is a difference between normal year ROH Mania show running against Takeover and MSG vs. Brooklyn V

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eivion said:

I think an all women ppv would do fine as long its headlined by Charlotte vs. Ronda or Horsewomen vs. Horsewomen. I don't see anything else working right now w/o a good deal of build.

Fair point, but I'd rather see Charlotte/Ronda main event Wrestlemania 35.

Just now, Matt D said:

If not for all this XFL stupidity, I'd want Vince to go nuts over this and try to buy MSG.

God - now I am trying to decide if Vince would be a worse owner for the Knicks than James Dolan