DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

IIRC, when Rock came into the company in '97, Shawn and HHH were antagonistic dicks toward him and tried to sabotage him. He didn't want to ever work with Shawn after that.

4 hours ago, Player One said:

I hope there are no other big reveals this weekend.  I couldn't take it if I found out that Ric Flair was a womanizing alcoholic who's bad with money or something equally ridiculous.

You're not a Jay Lethal fan, are you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

The other simple thing with Rock/Shawn is that their careers never really lined up for a real match.

Rock was just breaking in in late 96. When Shawn wasn't losing his smile, he was in the main event scene while Rocky was firmly midcard, and they were both heels for most of that time frame. Shawn hurt his back in at the 98 Rumble, and didn't wrestle from Mania 14 to Summer Slam 02. The Rock blew up in 98, but by 2001, he wasn't wrestling full time anymore. At the aforementioned 02 Summer Slam, The Rock put Lesnar over and disappeared until the new year. Then he had another 3-month run in 2003, and one-off at WM 20 that was his last match until his 2011 return against Cena. Of course, you may remember Shawn retired in 2010 at WM 26.

So Shawn's backstage shittiness might have cost us a retroactively bizarre 5-minute Raw match, but they only had about 5 months of meaningful overlap in their WWE careers outside of that. When one was a weekly regular, the other was only doing spot appearances from 1998-2010. The closest they got to working together was Shawn guest-reffing a couple of Rock's matches with HHH (the first real SD, and their Iron Man match at JD 2000)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Player One said:

So in today's round of "I am idiot", you find plenty of discussion of Bill Watts' racist remarks if you spend five minutes with Google.  Obviously, I never did that.  My bad,  I was really unaware of this stuff.

I feel particularly dumb for assuming that, since he consistently pushed black wrestlers, he was trying to make some sort of point about equality.  That's a hollow argument and I should know better.  Mea culpa.

I feel kinda disillusioned right now,  I hope there are no other big reveals this weekend.  I couldn't take it if I found out that Ric Flair was a womanizing alcoholic who's bad with money or something equally ridiculous.

In his own stupid brain, Watts thought he was helping, but that's another topic.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

The other simple thing with Rock/Shawn is that their careers never really lined up for a real match.

Rock was just breaking in in late 96. When Shawn wasn't losing his smile, he was in the main event scene while Rocky was firmly midcard, and they were both heels for most of that time frame. Shawn hurt his back in at the 98 Rumble, and didn't wrestle from Mania 14 to Summer Slam 02. The Rock blew up in 98, but by 2001, he wasn't wrestling full time anymore. At the aforementioned 02 Summer Slam, The Rock put Lesnar over and disappeared until the new year. Then he had another 3-month run in 2003, and one-off at WM 20 that was his last match until his 2011 return against Cena. Of course, you may remember Shawn retired in 2010 at WM 26.

So Shawn's backstage shittiness might have cost us a retroactively bizarre 5-minute Raw match, but they only had about 5 months of meaningful overlap in their WWE careers outside of that. When one was a weekly regular, the other was only doing spot appearances from 1998-2010. The closest they got to working together was Shawn guest-reffing a couple of Rock's matches with HHH (the first real SD, and their Iron Man match at JD 2000)

The Rock wanted to work Summerslam 2004. He asked to work Rey Mysterio and WWE wanted Shawn Michaels and Rock said no. 

18 hours ago, Victator said:

One story was when Rock took on Bret Hart in 97, Shawn was trying to change the finish to Bret winning by submission. Bret refused and changed it to count out of disqualification to protect him. 

Wasn't it that Bret got a finished against Triple H changed, but not Rock or something like that? Basically he was in the middle of Bret/Shawn nonsense, and HBK was looking out for Hunter.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Wasn't it that Bret got a finished against Triple H changed, but not Rock or something like that? Basically he was in the middle of Bret/Shawn nonsense, and HBK was looking out for Hunter.

Think it was Bret changing it for the Rock to help Rock out. It was definitely during Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels/Triple H feud on TV and backstage. 

Per Bret's Book (it was right after Mania and Bret's heel turn)

That night had one more wrinkle: I was slated by the booking committee to challenge Rocky Maivia
for the Intercontinental title, and Hunter was insisting I beat him. I didn’t see any need for me to
beat Rocky; it wouldn’t build heat for my new heel turn, and would only undermine a real talent. I
insisted on a DQ instead, which infuriated Hunter. He and Shawn disliked Rocky intensely and were
too myopic to see that Rocky was destined to become one of the all-time greatest megastars in the
history of the business, The Rock. Looking back, I’m glad I got to work with him at least once

He writes way later in the book that Rock thanked him for doing that and that the Rock was one of the first folks who suggested he should come back to the WWF. (That was when Bret visited back stage at a RAW at Owen's request)

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

No this was back in April. The match with Hunter was in October, which Bret protested losing, because he felt it was not leading to a match or anything. Though I think Hunter still won by count out, Shawn was just trying to fuck Rock over. 

55 minutes ago, Victator said:

No this was back in April. The match with Hunter was in October, which Bret protested losing, because he felt it was not leading to a match or anything. Though I think Hunter still won by count out, Shawn was just trying to fuck Rock over. 

I thought it was the European tournament match with Hunter in February that started it, then Bret was okay with putting Rocky over after not doing so for Hunter, then HBK got Vince to book H over Bret again in October, and Bret got that changed to CO or DQ or whatever.

Oh, he'll keep the belt if he wins his fight and still put no one over and vacate it just before Mania. Will demand raises.

• Like 1

Five year extension, 20 million a year. Works 5 times a year at random dates of his choosing. 3/4 of NXT fired to make room for his salary even with all the extra money they have. TIGHTEN YOUR BELT!