DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

Let's not forget that he signed with Disney which was a huge push for his career.  Would he have the same career outside of Disney?  The comeback was probably just an attempt at marketing Fast Five.

The Rock is a huge draw in the under 18 segment.  The films are just eye candy made to pop the first weekend and fall off a cliff.

The Rock's success with Disney is a huge sign of how they mishandled Bayley who should be splitting time with Nickelodeon and Disney by now.

17 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Baywatch opened soft and dropped faster than Wile E Coyote. And I'm sure he doesn't like talking about Hercules. 

God I forgot all about Hercules. What a turd that was. 

9 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

Let's not forget that he signed with Disney which was a huge push for his career.  Would he have the same career outside of Disney?  The comeback was probably just an attempt at marketing Fast Five.

The Rock is a huge draw in the under 18 segment.  The films are just eye candy made to pop the first weekend and fall off a cliff.

Disney was good for him and helped legitimize him in that world. But let's not ignore that he did two movies with them and then there was a seven year gap between RtWM and the release of Moana. I don't strongly associated him with the Mouse. Though it was a big boost for him in the mid 2000s. 

And the comeback certainly achieved its goal. Regardless of what Vin Diesel and Tyrese think, Rock is the face of the Fast franchise now. 

F&F was already big on its own, though. I need more receipts that show that Rock's 2011 run had a direct effect on his movie career. Seems more correlative than causative to me. 

15 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

F&F was already big on its own, though.

Rock's been in half of the Fast movies now. They comfortably outdraw the non-Rock half of the franchise. Even adjusting for inflation, the only non-Rock Fast movie that makes it into the conversation is the original -- and it still ranks fourth. The Rock is a huge part of why those movies are still considered a big deal. 

4 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Not necessarily sure NWO should have taken over either so much as it needed a distinctive ending.

Hulk got injured, so they just shelved everything awkwardly, some of the guys were faces (Hogan, Nash) but still aligned with heels (Steiner, Luger)

Three year angle shouldn't have just fizzled out as it did. 

The nWo shouldn't have lasted three years, period.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Rock's been in half of the Fast movies now. They comfortably outdraw the non-Rock half of the franchise. Even adjusting for inflation, the only non-Rock Fast movie that makes it into the conversation is the original -- and it still ranks fourth. The Rock is a huge part of why those movies are still considered a big deal. 

Shit, Rock's pretty much the reason they still even *make* Fast movies.

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Baywatch opened soft and dropped faster than Wile E Coyote. And I'm sure he doesn't like talking about Hercules. 

I think this might be the only time Baywatch and soft have ever been used in the same sentence. 

Sure, Ray Fernandez wasn't a great worker, but I don't think the Rock would mind duscussing him. He's wasn't objectively bad, just your average mid-late 80s juiced to the gills WWF wrestler. You had to love his face turn after refusing to be Ted DiBiase's slave. The blow off for the feud should have been WM5. (Yeah, I know Hercules was a Rock film.) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Paul Diamond. 

To warn you, it's not nearly as interesting as Barry Horowitz/Al Perez vs Kimala II/Abby.

In that case, I'd rather see Kato vs. Kojima.

and I absolutely want to see Barry Horrowitz & Al Perez vs. Kamala II & Abby

GI Joe 2 didn't do all that well either. That, Pain and Gain, and Snitch all opened after Fast Five if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe the 2011 WWE comeback for the Rock helped a little, but I'll say it had more to do with the total re-invention of the Fast movies as Oceans 11 style movies. They're big, dumb, and entertaining and of that whole bunch, the Rock really stood out to the point where I think people were like, "man, the Rock is awesome!" The more he inserts himself into huge, over the top movies like the Fast movies and like Jumanji, the better.

I would like it if he would pick the rest of his projects better and it's clear that if it's his idea (ie Rampage) then it's really going to suck. Skyscraper looks like a turd too. So at this point he's banking on Fast movies and Jumanji to carry him. That well is going to dry up sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

He also has a successful show on HBO, a building production company, millions upon millions of dollars, and could always fall back on wrestling in some form of he ever needed to.

Rock's success didn't really take off until after Furious 7, and I don't think it had anything to do with his 2011 WWE return. I think it had everything to do with how well he was in the role of Hobbs, honestly. A huge blockbuster franchise that'll show off Rock's comedy and action chops? Yeah, I think people took notice from Fast 5 to Furious 7, and that's when everything took off for him. Baywatch didn't do so hot, but from Furious 7 to now, he's had Central Intelligence, Rampage, Jumanji, San Andreas and Moana, all of which did pretty well at the box office (even if some of them probably weren't/aren't good movies).

• Like 1

So in today's round of "I am idiot", you find plenty of discussion of Bill Watts' racist remarks if you spend five minutes with Google.  Obviously, I never did that.  My bad,  I was really unaware of this stuff.

I feel particularly dumb for assuming that, since he consistently pushed black wrestlers, he was trying to make some sort of point about equality.  That's a hollow argument and I should know better.  Mea culpa.

I feel kinda disillusioned right now,  I hope there are no other big reveals this weekend.  I couldn't take it if I found out that Ric Flair was a womanizing alcoholic who's bad with money or something equally ridiculous.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, alstein said:

I wonder how far Shane Helms would have gone if WCW had lasted longer- I felt like they were about to strap a rocket to him and I think he could have ended up a world champ in WCW within a year or two.  Helms and Lance Storm to me were the biggest victims of WCW going under.

Helms was employed by WWE for nearly the entire decade, and was given a gimmick that sold a ton of merchandise to kids. Helms got the keys to Fort Knox compared to what a WCW title would have got him. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Speaking of Rock; He tops my “dream match” list.

Why did we never get The Rock vs Shawn Michaels? Could have happened in 97-98 but never did.

I think the promos alone would have beengreat, especially if both guys heel up a little.

I think the general consensus is that Rock wasn’t a big fan of HBK’s backstage politics. Plus you have to add in that in 1998, Michaels was only around from January to March, and Rock was already in a program with Shamrock by that point in time. Austin wasn’t even a full blown main event talent until after WrestleMania in 1998, and that’s who Rock was working with before Shamrock (besides the feud with Faarooq).

• Like 1