DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

Wrestling and ballet have may more in common than either wants to admit. Both are extremely athletic but not competitive. Both are very specialized and require years of training to master. Both tell stories predominately through physical demonstration. #UnpopularOpinion

25 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Wrestling and ballet have may more in common than either wants to admit. Both are extremely athletic but not competitive. Both are very specialized and require years of training to master. Both tell stories predominately through physical demonstration. #UnpopularOpinion

Is this opinion really unpopular though? I remember this being a talking point for a lot of folks, even outside of wrestling fans, when Darren Aronofsky did The Wrestler and Black Swan back to back.

• Like 2

Not necessarily sure NWO should have taken over either so much as it needed a distinctive ending.

Hulk got injured, so they just shelved everything awkwardly, some of the guys were faces (Hogan, Nash) but still aligned with heels (Steiner, Luger)

Three year angle shouldn't have just fizzled out as it did. 

Today is the 20th anniversary of Goldberg and Hogan given away on Nitro after being announced on Thunder with three days build. The last great moment of WCW. How would you have better utilized the match and moment to make it bigger and more profitable than a one off on TV instead of a huge PPV?

The Great American Bash was the previous month with Hogan and Bret vs. Piper and Savage.
Goldberg defended the US Title vs. Konnan in a two minute match.

The July PPV was Bash at the Beach. Just six days after the Nitro in the Georgia Dome. The famous Hogan/Rodman vs. DDP/Malone match.
Goldberg defended the World Title vs. Curt Hennig in a four minute match.

August was Road Wild, with Hogan/Bischoff vs. DDP/Leno
Goldberg won a thrown together battle royal.

Seems to me the better idea would have been to build up the Hogan and Goldberg match during this time while Hogan was doing is celebrity tags. It's obvious they had no plans for Goldberg his first couple months as champion.

Goldberg wasn't even on Fall Brawl in September. Hogan would transition to the Warrior feud in Sept. and Oct. for Halloween Havoc before taking the rest of the year off.

Could you have built all summer and fall long and have Hogan vs. Goldberg main event Starrcade that year instead of Nash and Goldberg?
Goldberg also wasn't on the Nov. PPV, World War III. Seems like it would have been an easy call to have him win the 60 man Battle Royal and take down Hogan at Starrcade 98.
4 months between the Georgia Dome show and the Nov. PPV. I think the build in that time would have worked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Can Bill Watts be racist with all the African American talent he pushed to the moon and gave booking to Ernie Ladd?

Umm. Yes? Very clearly yes. "He has black employees" is even weaker than "he has black friends".

Put another way: Can someone who said slavery was "the best thing that has ever happened to the black race" be anything but racist?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, alstein said:

I wonder how far Shane Helms would have gone if WCW had lasted longer- I felt like they were about to strap a rocket to him and I think he could have ended up a world champ in WCW within a year or two.  Helms and Lance Storm to me were the biggest victims of WCW going under.

Sean O'Haire was booked to be the next guy I felt, towards the end.

Six months later he was stinking up HWA.

Enjoyed Jason Jett's run also, as a guy WWE then did nothing with.

I don't think there's a chance in hell that Shane Helms would have ever won a WCW World Title. That just wasn't how WCW worked. Sean O'Haire? Sure, probably in a year he would have held the gold.

Regarding Lance Storm, he had a great run in WWE. He was hardly any sort of victim of WCW going under.

On 7/2/2018 at 1:04 PM, Craig H said:

I mean, almost all of mine would involve prime Vader. Vader vs Daniel Bryan, Vader vs Undisputed Champion Brock, Vader vs Current Brock, Vader vs Braun, Vader and Sid vs the Bludgeon Brothers, Vader vs Luke Harper, etc.

I mean, I've probably simmed almost all of these in Fire Pro World, but I would still like to see them play out in real life.

SES Punk or even Punk during his Best in the World gimmick vs Austin would have been something else.

I was just thinking about 92 Vader vs 98 Goldberg. Power move followed by brutality followed by power move until one beast faltered. It'd would be colossal

14 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Was IYH:Canadian Stampede the only time Goldie was in a PPV main event match? 

Not counting Rumbles

EDIT - are you talking just WWF/E because as Dustin Rhodes he also was in the Main thanks to the War Games match

46 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

Umm. Yes? Very clearly yes. "He has black employees" is even weaker than "he has black friends".

Put another way: Can someone who said slavery was "the best thing that has ever happened to the black race" be anything but racist?

For anyone who hasn't heard the Keller interview:

https://deadspin.com/hank-aaron-sparked-pro-wrestlings-first-major-racism-st-1823080138

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never thought Watts was a racist.  He generally pushed an African-American at the top of the card.  Hell, Vince still doesn't do that.  When JYD left. Watts worked pretty hard to create a black ace.

Bill Watts pushed the Snowman!  The Snowman!  Lol, if that doesn't prove you're not a racist, nothing will.

18 minutes ago, Player One said:

I never thought Watts was a racist.  He generally pushed an African-American at the top of the card.  Hell, Vince still doesn't do that.  When JYD left. Watts worked pretty hard to create a black ace.

Bill Watts pushed the Snowman!  The Snowman!  Lol, if that doesn't prove you're not a racist, nothing will.

Who’s killed more blacks than anyone? The fuckin’ blacks. But they want to blame that bullshit Roots that came on the air. That Roots was so bullshit. All you have to do if you want slaves is to hand beads to the chiefs and they gave you slaves. What is the best thing that has ever happened to the black race? That they were brought to this country. No matter how they got here. You know why? Because they intermarried and got educated. They’re the ones running the black race.

"But he booked so-and-so" is the shallowest non sequitur. Racism--or any kind of bigotry--doesn't preclude profit seeking. Saying the sorts of things he's document to have said makes you a racist. When people tell you who they are in such clear terms, believe them. This isn't remotely complicated. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Can Bill Watts be racist with all the African American talent he pushed to the moon and gave booking to Ernie Ladd? 

Uh...yeah?

I feel like we're going down a road that will get me banned and give Rippa a giant headache, but yes, definitively. You can do nice things for individual black people (and remember, Watts did it for himself, too, as he knew that he needed to cater to a large demographic of his audiences that was black and he ate good off of pushing JYD like he did) and still be racist. 

• Like 3

People drastically undersell how much Rock coming back to the WWE in 2011 aided his movie career. Prior to Fast Five, his previous three (live action) starring roles were Faster, Tooth Fairy, and Race to Witch Mountain. RtWM opened number one on a soft March weekend, but there's not a hit in the bunch and he doesn't look like the big damn movie star we think of him as today.

Reconnecting with his WWE fanbase prior to the opening of his first F&F movies was a stroke of genius. The narrative I see a lot of the time is that Rock didn't need to come back and he was doing just fine on his own. But reconnecting with his roots at the right moment really gave him a shot in the arm at the box office. It was such a stroke of genius that I'd argue Rock got more out of the deal than WWE did. 

• Like 1