DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

If we're doing New Jack vs. racist white guys, here's a few

New Jack vs. Dick Murdoch

New Jack vs. Dusty Rhodes

New Jack vs. Bill Watts

This one might take the cake, re-do the Vince/John Cena "my n-word segment" with New Jack overhearing it.

So I watched the start of the Lex Express thing on the network just to see the raw video of the body slam challenge. I had a thought while watching it. Why didn't they go with Crush to be the guy to slam Yoko. I mean he was fairly over (this was 1993 WWF after all) so he would have fit in perfectly with the whole cartoon thing going on. I personally remember that day a lot of us in the crowd being certain Crush would be the one to slam Yoko.

We could have still eventually got all the heel Crush stuff that led to him and Savage.

I don't know about anyone else, but Crush was ruined for me as a kid when Doink outsmarted him about eight thousand times in a row without Crush getting one over. 

I'm not sure Crush ever got a win in that feud, actually. For ten-year-old me, I was off the Crush train after that. It didn't help that Bobby Heenan called out Crush as an idiot every time he'd get fooled. I bought into that shit and started riding with heel Doink. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Heel Chavo grounding Shane Helms in their matches was such a good formula. It used to frustrate the crowd, who just wanted to see Shane hit some big aerial moves and a Vertebreaker, so he'd get massive pops on his comebacks when he finally managed to hit his stuff. 

I wonder how far Shane Helms would have gone if WCW had lasted longer- I felt like they were about to strap a rocket to him and I think he could have ended up a world champ in WCW within a year or two.  Helms and Lance Storm to me were the biggest victims of WCW going under.

I'd rather have Bad news beating up racists than New Jack.  Bad News vs Dick Murdoch with both of them being in a bad mood could have been a Vader/Hansen stifffest.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I don't know about anyone else, but Crush was ruined for me as a kid when Doink outsmarted him about eight thousand times in a row without Crush getting one over. 

I'm not sure Crush ever got a win in that feud, actually. For ten-year-old me, I was off the Crush train after that. It didn't help that Bobby Heenan called out Crush as an idiot every time he'd get fooled. I bought into that shit and started riding with heel Doink. 

Yeeeeah in hindsight I probably was the same. When the vignettes were running and when he debuted I was all in - he had a great look with the bright outfits and the best mullet this side of Billy Ray Cyrus, plus cool theme music and a great finish. I thought for sure he was the next top guy. Then he got outwitted again and again by a clown, with WMIX being the straw that broke the camels back

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Just want to thank all the fine folks giving awesome matchup ideas.  I can't wait to fire up Fire Pro and try them out.

The last wrestling game I played was the Smackdown vs Raw game with Batista and Cena on the front (2005?) and loved being able to create my own PPV, belts, and wrestlers. Is Fire Pro just that on steroids? I kinda want to give it a shot on PS4 when it's released but having never played a Fire Pro game before I don't know how easy it will be to get into, also it seems like a really time intensive game with all those customisations and how laboured the matches look so that's kinda putting me off too

• Like 1

Get the Steam version- it's easy to just download other people's creations on that for Fire Pro.

The actual gameplay is pretty solid- though hitting running moves is still tricky.  I got to try out the near-finished console version at CEO this past weekend.

The most popular guys among the FGC folks were Omega, Naito, and Taichi.

21 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Just a quick WCWism to point out in that post: MIA was formed when Bischoff and Russo started working together in April 2000. So of course that poster has the old WCW logo that had stopped being used a year earlier on it. Man, I hated that WCW star logo

I don't think I liked any of them, I'm only fond of the original due to misplaced nostalgia I think.

Dharz5JUcAAB6N_.jpg

1 hour ago, alstein said:

Get the Steam version- it's easy to just download other people's creations on that for Fire Pro.

The actual gameplay is pretty solid- though hitting running moves is still tricky.  I got to try out the near-finished console version at CEO this past weekend.

The most popular guys among the FGC folks were Omega, Naito, and Taichi.

I'm hoping you'll be able to do the same on PS4 as I don't want to make my own, alas the Steam version is a no-go as my laptop is eight years old and I refuse to go on a computer when I clock off from work

• Like 1

I dunno,

If done properly, there is probably a ton of mileage out of the nWo having a total victory and rebranding the company completly instead of co-branding, then have a few guys that refuse to go quietly stay as "WCW" and start winning it back, slowly, as the nWo starts intevitibley eat itself alive from the egos running it.  I mean, I know HUSTLE tried it, but didn't have the right guy or guys as the rebels, (I imagine the end of the Monster Army going differently had Hash not died.)

• Like 1

I can't think of anything more WCW then for them to rebrand the company as nWo only to then revert back to WCW. With the inevitable millions of dollars sunk into it too.

I really wish Bisch had been given the go ahead to have an nWo show and a WCW one. The nWo show would've been a cesspit of politicking, it would've destroyed itself within six months

5 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Yeeeeah in hindsight I probably was the same. When the vignettes were running and when he debuted I was all in - he had a great look with the bright outfits and the best mullet this side of Billy Ray Cyrus, plus cool theme music and a great finish. I thought for sure he was the next top guy. Then he got outwitted again and again by a clown, with WMIX being the straw that broke the camels back

That finish was a heartbreaker, as a young Crush fan at the time. :P

I think, storywise, there was definitely a time when it would have made sense to have the nWo completely take over and rebrand the company as nWo and then run the angle with WCW loyalists slowly building themselves up as a rebel faction (led by Sting, unless someone like HBK does jump ship and come in).  But, yeah, by 2000, the window for that storyline was lonnggggg past. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

New Jack carving up old, racist white guys like they Mass Transit would be a shitload of fun to watch.

Replace New Jack with the likes of Mr. Pogo and Freddy Kreuger and that was pretty much what I was doing in Fire Pro last night.  I have way too many racist wrestlers and non-wrestlers for my liking but damn it sure is satisfying to have a good ol' bloodbath.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If we're doing New Jack vs. racist white guys, here's a few

New Jack vs. Dick Murdoch

New Jack vs. Dusty Rhodes

New Jack vs. Bill Watts

This one might take the cake, re-do the Vince/John Cena "my n-word segment" with New Jack overhearing it.

Can Bill Watts be racist with all the African American talent he pushed to the moon and gave booking to Ernie Ladd? 

How did Gorilla Monsoon and Dusty get all these racist rumors? 

8 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

It was definitely a sign his immediate push was over. A few months later his heel turn arc started.