DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Christ...who is who? I see Hugh Morris, Booker T, and, uh, maybe Lash Leroux? but who are the rest?

Hugh Morris (aka Hugh G Rection)

Lash LeRoux (aka Cpl Cajun)

Booker T (aka GI Bro)

Chavo Guerrero Jr (aka Lt Loco)

Major Gunns

The Wall (aka Sgt AWOL)

EDIT - I did have to look up their stupid nicknames

I did. I blocked most of it out I guess. I thought that might have been Chavo and I was going to guess the Wall, but I was only sure about the top 3. 

Just a quick WCWism to point out in that post: MIA was formed when Bischoff and Russo started working together in April 2000. So of course that poster has the old WCW logo that had stopped being used a year earlier on it. Man, I hated that WCW star logo

18 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

This one?

FYI, it's known as the bird poop logo.

I always thought this one wasn't bad, if not for the wonky C :

Yes, the bird poop one. I forgot about that whole thing with the USA Today ad and all. 

I didn't mind the Invasion-era one you posted as much, but i can't really count that since it's a WWF creation. 

I'm not even sure I liked the OG logo that much, but one thing I did like is how they adapted the colors differently for Nitro, Saturday Night, PPVs, Worldwide, Pro etc. Just a little thing that I always liked. Even the simple black and white WCW/nWo logo looked good on all the 98 PPVs.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I liked The Wall as Malice in the early NWA:TNA days with Jim Mitchell as his manager. Sad that he was only 36 when he passed away. 

Mitchell/Vandenberg/Sinister Minister is seriously one of the most underrated talents ever. So many guys who had the look or the work but couldn't talk would have benefitted tremendously from him over the years. Id love to see him with a young team somewhere, something Ellering/AOP-esque maybe.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Green Meanie said:

I think my favorite in their history was this one:

wwef_534910283_th_64.jpg

I can't look at it at not think its a AWA logo for at least a second or three, which would be an issue during that time frame.

• Like 3

Some of my time travel "dream" matches:

2004-05 Samoa Joe vs. 2007-ish John Cena

early 2000's Hiroyoshi "He's sorta our ace.  Really" Tenzan vs. the Undertaker

heel Samoa Joe vs. early 90's Surfer Sting

Steiners vs. War Machine

I'll second Cena vs. Vader

Tanahasi vs. Cena late 2000's before they started breaking down physically

long-haired Triple H vs. 2003-ish AJPW champ Satoshi Kojima

Hollywood Hogan vs. Cena

Umaga vs, Sting

Young Bucks (heel) vs. Rock n Roll Express

Scott Norton vs. Braun Stroman

Braun Stroman vs. Goldberg (match wouldn't be much, but visual of Goldberg getting Braun up for the jackhammer would be awesome

Who is under the hood as Suicide these days? Don’t watch Impact so I’ve no idea if he’s still there, but I see him popping up on Indy shows recently. Including the one I’m watching right now, in a match including Dan Maff *and* Jimmy Rave...

4 minutes ago, Shane said:

Who is under the hood as Suicide these days? Don’t watch Impact so I’ve no idea if he’s still there, but I see him popping up on Indy shows recently. Including the one I’m watching right now, in a match including Dan Maff *and* Jimmy Rave...

Unless they switched again - its Caleb Konley

Just want to thank all the fine folks giving awesome matchup ideas.  I can't wait to fire up Fire Pro and try them out.

As for matchups going back in time I'd do a Survivor Series tag match with the Revival and Brainbusters on one side.  On the other you have The Rockers and American Alpha (NXT version of course)  Give them time and you have the makings of an instant classic.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shane said:

Just seeing that Jimmy Rave is still around and working after all he's been through makes me happy. Throwing toilet paper at him was always fun during the Embassy days. I loved his post-Embassy run when he started using the heel hook and "House of the Rising Sun" as his theme. He was getting more and more face reactions in 2007 before he got injured again and quit ROH.

12 hours ago, alstein said:

Some Time Machine matches I can think of.

1) MIdnight Express vs Golden Lovers.   I could see Kenny and Ibushi being like the Fantastics.

This one wouldn't last long as Cornette would try and shoot on Kenny. "Exposing the business you blow up doll and little girl wrestling mother fucker!!" Tennis Racket vs One Winged Angel!

11 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Missing In Action (see what I did there) from the picture: Major Stash aka Van Hammer

Or as he was known for a couple of weeks before he realised it was a drug reference and cracked it,  Private Stash

Edit: memory playing up,  was that he didn't want to be the lowest rank.  Which is probably sadder

1 hour ago, leonard said:

Or as he was known for a couple of weeks before he realised it was a drug reference and cracked it,  Private Stash

Edit: memory playing up,  was that he didn't want to be the lowest rank.  Which is probably sadder

No "probably" about it

4 hours ago, quackhell said:

This one wouldn't last long as Cornette would try and shoot on Kenny. "Exposing the business you blow up doll and little girl wrestling mother fucker!!" Tennis Racket vs One Winged Angel!

There's a dream match:  Jim Cornette vs Kenny Omega.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Say what you will about the MIA, they were over as hell, put on some great multi man openers to the PPV, somehow managed to get Bill Demott over as a top babyface, and led to a very forgotten Chavo run as the top cruiserweight heel before the company went under.

Heel Chavo grounding Shane Helms in their matches was such a good formula. It used to frustrate the crowd, who just wanted to see Shane hit some big aerial moves and a Vertebreaker, so he'd get massive pops on his comebacks when he finally managed to hit his stuff. 

• Like 3