DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

At least Kobashi vs Suzuki actually happened.

True  that,  but it wasn't vicious, sadistic old bastard Suzuki, and that's what I'd want to see. I realize that a couple of my picks border on not needing the time machine, in those cases I probably should have provided a bit more context. I just wanted to make up a super show before anyone else got the idea to do so. ?

Current Suzuki vs athletic, underdog babyface Kobashi circa 1993 or so would've been my favorite matchup, rather than God-tier ace Kobashi and a Suzuki who could really only skulk and grab for submissions that were always unlikely to work. It was more "when will Kobashi kill this jerk?" rather than truly competitive.

• Like 3

Black Tiger II vs Hirumo Takahashi in a Jr battle. I think a young Eddie vs current Hiromu would be an almost guaranteed classic. 

Mid to late 2000's Cena vs 70's Andre. Cena was/is fantastic at fighting from underneath and well Andre is Andre. I could make a list of just people I want to use a time machine to match up with him.

Hall of Pain Mark Henry vs early 90's Vader. Would be an all time hoss battle. Two men who were the biggest scariest dudes around clashing over who is the biggest scariest dude.  Would also like to see them team up vs 123 Kid and late 90's Jeff Hardy for the joy of the mauling and watching the bumps that would take place.

• Like 2

Just now, Beech27 said:

Current Suzuki vs athletic, underdog babyface Kobashi circa 1993 or so would've been my favorite matchup, rather than God-tier ace Kobashi and a Suzuki who could really only skulk and grab for submissions that were always unlikely to work. It was more "when will Kobashi kill this jerk?" rather than truly competitive.

I like your thinking. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, (BP) said:

97 (circa the Taker feud) Shawn against just about any giant/monster/hoss I can think of; Andre, Show, Braun, Brock, etc. Pairing him up in dream matches with guys like AJ or Bryan ignores the stuff he was absolutely great at, which was David/Goliath storytelling. 

I think Andre would have beat 97 Shawn senseless if he pulled any bullshit.

• Like 5

Shinsuke Nakamura stated that he will miss at least two more weeks. (And he still has to get evaluated after those two weeks)

So for all intents and purposes - he will miss Extreme Rules

NXT-era The Revival vs. The Late '80s Fantastics 

'92 Rick Rude vs. '12 Daniel Bryan

''88-'89 Midnight Express vs. NXT-era American Alpha

'85 Randy Savage vs. current day Kazuchika Okada

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

What did the dog do, eat his fucking leg?

When I had two bigger dogs (one 80 lbs and one 60 lbs), I had to break up a fight between them and the 80 lbs. dog (about the size of a German Shepard) my the hell out of my arm and left two puncture wounds. That hurt for at least a month and I went on antibiotics.

For Nakamura, who knows, but I doubt he was just "nipped" like some of the reports said. My little chihuahua could nip at you. A bomb sniffing dog is going to be harder than that.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

All of you who want to see current day Brock Lesnar wrestle anyone baffle me.

2003 Brock - yes

2018 Brock - God no

Glad I'm not the only one wondering what was up with this. I get picking 02/03 Brock. I get picking 2012 Brock. I don't get picking suplex city version

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

All of you who want to see current day Brock Lesnar wrestle anyone baffle me.

Possibly they want to see (must be read aloud in Paul Heyman nearly screaming voice):

Suplex! Suplex! Suplex! Suplex! Suplex! Suplex! Suplex! Suplex! Suplex! Suplex! Suplex! Suplex!

You would think that if someone were going to use a particular word with such zeal and frequency that they might learn how to pronounce it correctly.

Back in 2006 if I did not know better, you would think WWE and TNA were working together on a Samoa Joe vs Umaga feud. That was the match I wanted more than anything in 2006/2007, but it never happened. TNA made no attempt to sign Umaga after he was released in 2009.

There were a few WWE guys TNA did not try to sign and I don't know why. Shelton Benjamin was a big one, more so with him and Charlie Haas together. Putting them with Angle. Or Paul London and Brian Kendrick, they would have done great work with the Machine Guns and Beer Money.  They did have really good matches with the Young Bucks on the indies. 

Those are the main names I can think of because WWE was pretty careful about releasing guys then and now for that matter.