DVDVR Message Board

How I Met Your Mother Season 9

RandomAct

I don't think there were any clues until the 45 days speech. If there were, they were extremely subtle and I'm surprised Reddit hasn't picked up on it yet.

But then again, Reddit's also spent the past month trying to convince themselves she's not dying and instead it's Ted's Mom who would die and not make it to his sister's wedding.....because that totally makes sense in the context of the show and Vesuvius.

Anyway, there's been theories she's been dead for YEARS now. Don't know where they started, but it's been around for at least around the time that Stella left him at the altar because I remember that's the first I'd heard of it and it was clearly not a new train of thought.

But nothing gave credence to the theory until 45 Days and that could have meant anything. The end of Vesuvius really hammered it home though.

I saw a few episodes of it here and there. Wasn't bad, but it seemed like a patchy idea for a TV show. Building everything around a character you don't see until near the end? Of course, it was a big hit so what do I know.

The Mother came off as a bit of a Mary Sue, from what I saw. She didn't really seem to exist as a character on her own. (The cliched tragic and early death from an unknown illness didn't help matters.) At least Robin came off like a flawed and real enough person, I guess.

I'm also not seeing the complaints about "tossing" Barney's character development. We all know people who have regressed after a breakup, especially if they feel that they "changed" for that one particular person. Barney's character development was there and it showed when his daughter was born.

This post-series aftermath reminds me way too much of the day after LOST's finale.  I guess they both did have to wrap up all those lingering mysteries and they even share the patent "this was the plan all along" mantra.

I'm glad this show is finally over so I can finally see Cobie Smulders in something worthwhile.  And no, I'm not talking about that damn S.H.I.E.L.D. show.

I actually think Lost was the complete opposite of this. For HIMYM they had an ending layed out from the very beginning which may or may not completely fit after all they have done since. In Lost from the very beginning they had not the slightest clue where they were going and by trying to close one plot (or answer a question) usually opened two new plots (new questions) and just had a random "they were dead all along" finale which in the showrunners' minds solved all the problemls.

I meant similar in the vain of post-fan reactions; fans who were satisfied with an emotional, sentimental conclusion versus fans who loathe it and believe the finale invalidates a significant portion of the show.  Not story structure and development.

I always liked The Sopranos' approach to character development. People have epiphanies, say they'll change but ultimately never really do. You can't fight your own nature. Very true to real life.

Ted did actually change for a while, but without his Manic Pixie Dream Girl around, he regressed back to what he felt more comfortable and used to-Robin. They'll probably have an OKish relationship with lots of ups and downs.

It's not a fairy tale, but what is? 

That said, Ted is pretty much a dick for promising his kids he was going to share memories with them about their beloved dead mother and then turning it into a long-winded justification of why nailing their aunt is OK.

• Like 1

Having spent much of my downtime at work reading spoilers for the past season, I can understand both the positive and negative reactions to the finale.  However, I haven't seen a single thing to make me reconsider dropping the show not long after the Mother's Roommate episode.

There were far more clues that Ted ends up with Robin than there were that indicated the Mother was dead.

I've been thinking alot today, and the tone of the show really shifted away from Ted's almost run-ins, and the little events that lead up to him meeting her after about season 5 or so.  The first half of the series really had all these wonderful moments like the umbrella, or dating her roomate and what not. It really became much more about Ted/Robin after that.

The only thing I really didn't like on this episode was the end to Barney's story.  A whole season+ worth of development of him becoming the type of guy who could settle down and so on was blown up in this episode.  Him going back to being a shit head who winds up knocking up some random woman was a waste of a potentially better gag.  They should have had the whole "perfect month", "knocked up a random girl" thing be an elaborate prank on the gang before he sets up a bigger reveal:  He got back with Quinn and she's pregnant.  The whole thing with him knocking up a random girl and the child winding up being Barney's whole world felt a little empty to me.

Barney is the reveal on HOW I MET YOUR FATHER if by some miracle it makes it long enough.

Also, since this always annoys me, they were not "dead the whole time" on LOST save the alt world in the final season.

Did people really not watch the show just because it was on CBS?

Yup

I have heard various versions of "it's on (insert station here)" or "It has a laugh track" as reasons folks haven't watched anything

It isn't unique to CBS but that does seem to be the more common one. IT IS JUST FOR OLD PEOPLE!!!! I DON'T FIND MARK HARMON DREAMY!!!

I like CBS. They have a brand that works.

Here are some good looking people. Here is a crime. The good looking people will now solve this crime and things will be neatly wrapped up in under an hour .

Way better than the trainwreck NBC has turned into the last few years.

Well, there's good and bad to both approaches. Err, "set of circumstances" would be a better way of putting it, I guess, since I assume sucking ass isn't NBC's intention.

CBS has a formula for success, but, despite having more room to experiment than any other network, they don't take chances and cancel pretty much anything that isn't a big success right out of the gate. It's creatively stifling.

NBC has no fucking clue, but their failures allow oddball quality shows like COMMUNITY, PARKS & REC, and HANNIBAL to linger and thrive long, long after a network like CBS would have axed them.

I guess that takeaway is that, like any ecosystem, TV needs both ends of the food chain.