DVDVR Message Board

How I Met Your Mother Season 9

RandomAct

I'm going to go with: "We were the children all along!"

because frankly it's too embarrassing to say that with two minutes left on the episode I was going to call in my donor rights, my "one",  and ask Phil to just lock the note so we could all move on.

You know the thing that irritates me the most is that we are supposed to believe that at no point in their lives previously had the kids asked how their parents met.

Ted was honestly telling them that story for years. They probably asked sometime early on and Ted just told the world's longest story.

I'm going to say that there were a hundred things they did wrong there (though, the end still got me). First and foremost is this: The whole episode should have been this season. they could have gone over all the years in a season instead of going over two days in a season. 

The only reason why this worked was that it was so unlikely (and a little disingenuous) after the really satisfying "last play in the playbok" thing they pulled last season. 

I loved it too.  BTW, I called the ending 2 years ago, just saying. Some folks hate it, but honestly, it has been obvious since Robin found out she couldn't have children.  The show was about Ted and Robin.  Now, that end was kind of abrupt, and I agree that it should have played out all season.  However, I cried my ass off in the last 10 minutes.  The whole point was that Ted finally got to be happy.

Absolutely hated it. I have tons of reasons, but I'm sure many people here feel the same way and if you don't, my opinion isn't going to change yours, but outside of the scenes on the train and the Barney speech, there was not much good in this finale.

Honestly, it seems like they out-Dextered Dexter.

• Like 1

Like I told someone else, I couldn't get mad because I saw it coming years ago, and fully welcomed it.  I relate so much to Ted, and can easily place myself in the scenario.  The writing was on the wall for this end the whole time.

Really one of the worst ways to take a dump on both the fans and the show. IF you kill the mom off, make it an accident, not an illness, it was so cliche. God forbid Barney ever so character grow(well until, you know. . )    The producers tried to get too cute, and it really sucked. God FOrbid we get a happy ending. And how much crack did they smoke to spend a season on a wedding for a couple that lasted three years?

• Like 1

I was talking with someone earlier, and I do think that last 5 minutes should have been an entire episode.  The last season feels like a massive waste of time in retrospect.  I'm going to watch the series again from the start soon, though.  I want to see if more clues were planted.  The only obvious tips that come to mind are Marshall and Lily's bet, "45 more days" and the Christmas moment.

• Like 1

I'm OK with how things turned out. That was really the only place the story COULD end up. I mean if you were someone who spent the 8 years hanging on the mother reveal it was probably disappointing. And they spent a LOT of time over those 8 years hinting that the mother reveal was the big endgame. So there are probably a lot of people disappointed. But that ending made total sense for the characters and the story they built. And they did drop a lot of hints.

But seriously. What a ridiculous way to run the final season and finale. They dragged what should have been an hour long episode out to an entire season and crammed what should have been the entire final season into an hour long finale. I guess they didn't want to telegraph the ending too much? Or felt handcuffed by the "How I Met Your Mother" premise and felt they had to have that play into the finale? But they had what would have been a really good, logical, powerful final season contained in that last episode, and they skimmed over all of it. And gave us that excruciating season to build to it.

• Like 3

From my perspective, it was was one of the worst finales ever, nudging out will and grace, but topped only by quantum leap. I see how others feel differently. Just so pissed, with better time management, it could have worked, maybe.

• Like 1

I much prefer the pairing of Ted/Mother and Robin/Barney. Basically Ted got to live out all the little fantasies he built up in his head from college via the Mother but still ends up with the woman he was never supposed to get. My one solace is that the show ends with Robin and Ted seeing each other again and stopping there. We're supposed to assume that they live happily ever after but it gives me enough space to imagine that they end up apart like they always did before.

Was it epic? No, but the scene with the mother and Ted speaking on the train platform is probably my favorite scene of the entire series and to me, that will be what I remember from the whole episode.

• Like 1

If they had ended there, that would have been so fucking perfect. That scene and Barney's scene were really the only things I think everyone is in complete agreeance that they hit a home run on.

The rest of it? Not so much and after a good night's sleep, I still think it was a horrendous episode and brought the series down a peg. There are so many moments and episodes now that still make sense, but have been belittled because of how the mother was made to be the background.

After sleeping on it, actually. While the pace of the Episode was blah (it should've been spaced out over several and the wedding downplayed to way fewer episodes), overall is was the natural end of the story, all made perfect sense, and may be the perfect end of the story, if you look at it as a whole.

The entire series was "Kids, I need closure and think I might be ready to move on, are you ok with it?", and Ted being Ted, he took his sweet time getting there because once he reached the end, he was closing that chapter.  The Robin stuff was always intended since day one (since they filmed that scene 9 years ago), since meeting her was the start of the story.  So its not crapping on the series, they just did what they did, pop a suprise or two on you.  

For predicting the fate of the Mother, I was actually happy with the way they handled it.