DVDVR Message Board

Extreme Rules X - 7/15/2018

Dolfan in NYC

6 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I don't watch the weekly shows - why is the Kevin Owens/Braun Stroman cage match happening? Do the kayfabe authority figures just hate Kevin Owens?

(Kayfabe) Because Kevin tried to be Braun's friend.  For which: Braun flipped Owens' rental car.  And then Braun dragged Owens in a Porta-john up to the stage and tipped it over with Kevin inside.  Braun doesn't know how to be friends so Kevin tries, rightly, to run away. Angle then tells KO he gets Braun in a cage match. 

(Actually) Because Kevin is a super talent and knows exactly how to work with someone who's still relatively green like Strowman and can hold his hand through this and build him to be a credible challenger to Brock. 

To answer your second question, yes. 

• Haha 1

The finish for KO/Braun should be the finish from Vince/Austin at St. Valentine's Day Massacre with Braun throwing KO into the cage, the cage swings open, Owens drops to the floor. Braun continues to look like a monster, while Owens can boast about having beaten the monster.

• Like 3

That sounds like a good plan that would help both guys get over but a better plan might be, have Braun maul KO for a few minutes then run into the cage and hurt himself and let KO work him over for the rest of the match until Braun hits one powerslam and pins him which then gets neither of them over. Perfect WWE booking

• Haha 4
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, Sublime said:

That sounds like a good plan that would help both guys get over but a better plan might be, have Braun maul KO for a few minutes then run into the cage and hurt himself and let KO work him over for the rest of the match until Braun hits one powerslam and pins him which then gets neither of them over. Perfect WWE booking

Vince, you crazy bastard, is that you?

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The finish for KO/Braun should be the finish from Vince/Austin at St. Valentine's Day Massacre with Braun throwing KO into the cage, the cage swings open, Owens drops to the floor. Braun continues to look like a monster, while Owens can boast about having beaten the monster.

And would be fine if they didn't just do something similar with Roman and Brock.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

(Actually) Because Kevin is a super talent and knows exactly how to work with someone who's still relatively green like Strowman and can hold his hand through this and build him to be a credible challenger to Brock.

Huh? Braun has been around for 2-3 years now and has had multiple good-great matches and standout performances. How is Strowman still green to you? Why do you think this is happening for any other reason than to kill time while they try to figure out the main event scene and Braun's place in it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

Huh? Braun has been around for 2-3 years now and has had multiple good-great matches and standout performances. How is Strowman still green to you? Why do you think this is happening for any other reason than to kill time while they try to figure out the main event scene and Braun's place in it?

Honestly, I'm saying 'green' relatively.  He's been wrestling for a total of maybe 5 years.  He's completely fine for where he is and I enjoy his work. But working with someone like Owens who's been in the industry for, what, 15+ years now... that can only help him learn and sharpen his in-ring and promo skills.  So that when his time to move up the card comes up again (which judging by the briefcase he lugs around, is soon), he's not just ready, but able to carry others as well.  

Just because the program isn't for the Universal Championship, doesn't mean it's time wasted. 

I don't think killing time necessarily means wasting it. I find the feud mostly fun. I get the relatively green comment to an extent. It just doesn't really feel accurate that they are using this a teaching moment for Braun so much as trying have the two do something fun that won't really hurt either while figuring out what is next for both.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Like to think I'm a better MMA fighter ;).

At sixty years old with a bad back and two bad knees, I'll wager I'm a better MMA fighter than Punk, (at least I know how to properly throw a strike). Granted, I'm practically immobile, but at least I have an excuse. ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Yeah, but who would notice the repetition? Nobody pays attention to Brock-Roman stuff any more.

It's really disappointing how that's shaken out. I still consider their WM31 match to be one of the best bouts they've ever had close out a Mania. 

Putting Strowman and Owens in a cage is counterintuitive. The best part of their matches is Strowman running laps around ringside and steamrolling Owens. I'm assuming they'll do that spot when Owens is trying to avoid entering the cage pre-match or they'll have Braun be a bully or sore loser post-match. Total guess though. 

• Like 2

Yeah my initial thought was a way for Owens to win without Braun having to lose by pin or submission but I thought the same thing last month when Braun was the absolute last guy that needed to win MITB but they feel he has to win everything. For whatever it's worth, early local ads were advertising Owens/Reigns for HIAC in September.

3 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

I think if Owens wins, he's more likely to be put through the ring like JBL was versus Big Show and then crawls out from under the ring to win, than being thrown through the cage like Vince or Brock were.

Austin was thrown through the cage by pre-Big Show, Paul Wight, who burst through the ring, IIRC.

13 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

It's really disappointing how that's shaken out. I still consider their WM31 match to be one of the best bouts they've ever had close out a Mania. 

In complete agreement. Lesnar/Reigns from Wrestle Mania XXXI is a contender for the greatest WrestleMania main event with Rock/Austin X-Seven,  HHH/Michaels/Benoit XX, Edge/Undertaker XXIV, Undetaker/Michaels XXVI and Orton/Batista/Bryan XXX.

Crossposting from the photo thread:

WWE.com does ridiculous things all the time, including weird nostalgia driven photoshoots, but this one might top it all:

https://www.wwe.com/shows/extremerules/2018/gallery/wwe-ecw-superstar-impersonations-photos#fid-40238486

Now I wish they had done this for Clash of Champions and had English and Rusev cosplay as JJ and Blanchard or whatever.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Crossposting from the photo thread:

WWE.com does ridiculous things all the time, including weird nostalgia driven photoshoots, but this one might top it all:

https://www.wwe.com/shows/extremerules/2018/gallery/wwe-ecw-superstar-impersonations-photos#fid-40238486

Now I wish they had done this for Clash of Champions and had English and Rusev cosplay as JJ and Blanchard or whatever.

These are great. I particularly like Cactus Rusev and Shinsuke Sabu.