DVDVR Message Board

Extreme Rules X - 7/15/2018

Dolfan in NYC

12 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Sacha Banks vs. Bayley if that's added. Even with the longer PPV's it may not be or relegated to the pre-shrunk.

Wouldn't that be Alexa?

• Haha 2

Did we get a explanation from Dave why they canceled the #1 Contender match?  Just storyline or is there another hiccup in Brock's contract?  

19 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Did we get a explanation from Dave why they canceled the #1 Contender match?  Just storyline or is there another hiccup in Brock's contract?  

It is all storyline and Vince just changed his mind which way to go. This is what Dave wrote last week 

But on Raw on 6/25, Kurt Angle announced the multiple person match had been canceled, blaming it on Brock Lesnar’s deal to return and defend the title falling through.

This is all storyline. Right now the idea is for a Reigns vs. Lashley singles match, but like everything, that is subject to change. Right now the plan is still Lesnar vs. Reigns, which sounds like a bad idea given people are so over it as even with the fluke ending at Greatest Royal Rumble, people are burned out about another rematch.

But none of that really matters. The current storyline is yet another offshoot of the plan to build to an attempt to have Reigns be the babyface when the Lesnar match takes place. This was the same plan prior to WrestleMania. At the time, Lesnar was a babyface and the idea was to portray him as someone who didn’t care about the fans, or care about wrestling, to the point he would no-show at will (ironically the company falsely advertised him for a number of television dates to get the idea over). In the end, the storyline did succeed in getting Lesnar not cheered. But it didn’t help Reigns at all. Even though both guys worked hard at WrestleMania, the crowd made up its mind to hate the match rather than give it a chance or even grudgingly respect it. Given the direction of the storyline, if that is the SummerSlam direction, the danger is for it to happen even more a second time, because this is an indoor crowd in New York.

The idea this time is to tell a story that Lesnar is looking at leaving with the belt and going to the UFC. A message from Paul Heyman on social media, read on Raw, didn’t outright say that but did talk about Lesnar focusing on “Ultimate opportunities.”

So the idea now is that the fans should hate Lesnar because not only does he not care about them, or the company, only himself, but in hardcore fan analogy, he’s considering the breach of their ethics by not losing the title on the way out.

The goal, at least this week, is to tell a story where Lesnar looks like he’s leaving, while Reigns is being told by everyone, his fellow wrestlers, Heyman, and even the fans themselves, that he needs to step aside because he failed in opportunity after opportunity with Lesnar. The idea is that nobody believes in Reigns but himself, and thus that will either make him sympathetic before the match (this is unlikely to work) or that at least coming out of it, there will be some grudging admiration for him–if he wins, and who even knows if he’ll do that.

He then noted that basically depending on what Brock decides to do contract wise (stick with WWE or go to UFC) will determine opponents.

If Brock is going to UFC - Reigns is the opponent. If Brock is sticking around - they might run Brock/Lashley first.

Dave wrote almost no follow up this week other than how few first time matches are left out there and Reigns/Lashley is one of them

The goal, at least this week, is to tell a story where Lesnar looks like he’s leaving, while Reigns is being told by everyone, his fellow wrestlers, Heyman, and even the fans themselves, that he needs to step aside because he failed in opportunity after opportunity with Lesnar. The idea is that nobody believes in Reigns but himself, and thus that will either make him sympathetic before the match (this is unlikely to work) or that at least coming out of it, there will be some grudging admiration for him–if he wins, and who even knows if he’ll do that.

I half-like this storyline coming out of Monday's Raw, where Roman insisted on settling all family business by working two matches and taking on Revival single handedly. And there was a poll on WWE.com asking fans if Roman is a warrior or an egomaniac or something like that. They're part of the way to a decent idea.

As for continuing to put Roman over AJ's title matches, I once again thank the Drama Gods.

I love when threads get derailed. It makes WWE more interesting when we start discussing our soft drink preferences. I don't keep soda in the house. I stick to seltzer and Arnold Palmer's. In the morning, it's orange juice for me. I think coffee is disgusting. 

• Like 3