DVDVR Message Board

Action Figures, Statues, Collectibles!

Despite being a huge fan of the franchise, I had not bought a new Transformers toy since getting the The Transformers The Movie 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime on clearance after Christmas over a decade ago.

Then this week, well, behold the power of the Matrix of Leadership

43828778_10212105230378264_3906175968623

@Michael Sweetser

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I waited over 30 years for a Rodimus Prime that wasn't shit on toast (Masterpiece Hot Rod came out at a time when I was living on disability, and only the Japanese version came with the trailer) and I'm thrilled to have that on my Lost Light shelf.

Meanwhile, Marvel Legends large-scale have been killing it this year with my favorite also-rans.  So far I've picked up Taskmaster, Songbird and FREAKING PALADIN.

• Like 1

I actually have been far more into collecting Funko Pops lately than into collecting Transformers.  But man, I love that they're doing characters based off the IDW comics, which are by far the best TF fiction ever written.  

I do still need to pick up Fortress Maximus and Trypticon to go along with Metroplex and the oversized KO Predaking.  I like big bots and I cannot lie.

2 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I actually have been far more into collecting Funko Pops lately than into collecting Transformers.  But man, I love that they're doing characters based off the IDW comics, which are by far the best TF fiction ever written.  

I do still need to pick up Fortress Maximus and Trypticon to go along with Metroplex and the oversized KO Predaking.  I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Sadly, if it ain't Marvel Legends scale, it doesn't go with the 100 or so figures I have around the house. After bidding fifty bucks on the Stingray figure (what the fuck is wrong with me?), I asked my guy if he'd try and do the Black Terror. I was really hoping to add the Porcupine to my collection of fairly useless villains, but I didn't care for the way his version came out. If I get a decent royalty check or sell something on eBay, I might go back for a 1960s Plantman figure.

2 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I want the reissue of Devastator/The Constructicons, but $74 is a bit steep. I wish I still had my G2 ones even if half were orange and half yellow. Had the G2 camo tank Megatron as well, and it's gone forever too. Plus all my original G1 toys. :(

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I want the reissue of Devastator/The Constructicons, but $74 is a bit steep. I wish I still had my G2 ones even if half were orange and half yellow. Had the G2 camo tank Megatron as well, and it's gone forever too. Plus all my original G1 toys. :(

I almost forgot I have the giant IDW-version Devastator, too.  Another reason to add Fort Max and Trypticon.

• Like 1

Sometimes I feel a bit sad that I was too old to get into the whole Transformers thing when it came around. Then I see some of the prices and am damn glad I missed out, it would be just another thing for me to squander money on... ?  As it is, I won the Stingray figure, so I now have the most useless member of the Avengers ever for my collection (granted, he had maybe the coolest costume ever). Underwater, he could hold his own against anyone, Namor, Tiger Shark, didn't matter... Once on land, well, he's a damn fine marine biologist...

5 hours ago, OSJ said:

Sometimes I feel a bit sad that I was too old to get into the whole Transformers thing when it came around. Then I see some of the prices and am damn glad I missed out, it would be just another thing for me to squander money on... ?  As it is, I won the Stingray figure, so I now have the most useless member of the Avengers ever for my collection (granted, he had maybe the coolest costume ever). Underwater, he could hold his own against anyone, Namor, Tiger Shark, didn't matter... Once on land, well, he's a damn fine marine biologist...

On the bright side, you'll never spend a minute of your life debating FIRRIB vs FIBRIR

On 10/14/2018 at 8:31 AM, OSJ said:

As it is, I won the Stingray figure, so I now have the most useless member of the Avengers ever for my collection (granted, he had maybe the coolest costume ever). Underwater, he could hold his own against anyone, Namor, Tiger Shark, didn't matter... Once on land, well, he's a damn fine marine biologist...

Spoiler

In the new issue of Avengers, Namor seemingly kills Stingray by beating the holy hell out of him, and having sharks eat him. 

Don't read that unless you want to be spoiled about some current developments regarding Stingray...

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/25/2018 at 4:02 AM, CreativeControl said:

Does anyone know of anyone who does one off figure customs?

Yes, several... We can start at the top of the list with the guy that seems to combine excellent work . Just scored these this morning/ PM me and I'll give you contact info.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg for the Black Terror and the Shield, the former always looked cool though I couldn't abide the fact that he had a teen-age sidekick who went by "Tim"... I can see horrified criminals yelling "Run! It's the Black Terror!!' whereas "Run! It's Tim!" doesn't quite convey the same feeling of alarm. ? 

On 10/20/2018 at 2:45 PM, Justin877 said:

After reading OSJ's admiration of Stingray, I thought of current comic book events as well.

They've been killing off favorite characters of mine since Zemo bought the farm back in Avengers #15, so I'm used to it now. Of course now you can't even say "Everyone comes back from the dead except Bucky! As even Bucky's  back in action. So I guess the takeaway now is "Nobody stays dead at Marvel, even Bucky Barnes comes back... 

9 hours ago, OSJ said:

They've been killing off favorite characters of mine since Zemo bought the farm back in Avengers #15, so I'm used to it now. Of course now you can't even say "Everyone comes back from the dead except Bucky! As even Bucky's  back in action. So I guess the takeaway now is "Nobody stays dead at Marvel, even Bucky Barnes comes back... 

Uncle Ben

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Transformers Siege Ultra Magnus: I'm really unhappy that armored-up Magnus is shorter than armored-up Rodimus, and it's annoying as hell to get his trailer to hitch on and get all the panels to tab into the right slots, but he looks good in both modes.  If you've been jonesing for a new Albino Optimus version of Magnus, he's very good but I don't think I want that any more.  

Marvel Legends Genis-Vell: Oh hey, 20 years after his first figure and 15 years after he died, he finally gets a new toy.  Unfortunately, by doing the green Kree armor with his entire body in cosmic starfield, this is the most boring way to do it.  He doesn't look BAD, just would've rather seen him with only his face in cosmic awareness mode or maybe use it for highlights so the white and green uniform shows beyond boots, shoulders and helm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

From recent Marvel Legends lineups I grabbed Citizen V and Hercules. Herc is a very good representation of the sobered up version of the char from the Abnett series and Waid's Avengers. Not my favorite iteration but he's well done and I'm glad to have a toy of one of my faves. Citizen V isn't as good: the blue bodysuit seems way too light in color, he doesn't hold his sword well and I don't like his stars-and-stripes shoulder pads being part of the solid rubber cape instead of the core figure.

Meanwhile, searching "Siege Barricade" does not give me preorders for the Transformer I most want in the back half of 2019.

On 6/4/2019 at 10:00 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

From recent Marvel Legends lineups I grabbed Citizen V and Hercules. Herc is a very good representation of the sobered up version of the char from the Abnett series and Waid's Avengers. Not my favorite iteration but he's well done and I'm glad to have a toy of one of my faves. Citizen V isn't as good: the blue bodysuit seems way too light in color, he doesn't hold his sword well and I don't like his stars-and-stripes shoulder pads being part of the solid rubber cape instead of the core figure.

Meanwhile, searching "Siege Barricade" does not give me preorders for the Transformer I most want in the back half of 2019.

Console yourself with no matter how bad the current Citizen V looks, (and I'm no fan of the look), it's way better than the original who dressed like a boy scout.

On 6/4/2019 at 10:00 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

I am thinking of Timely/Marvel GA characters that merit a figure. They surprised the shit out of me when they did a Destroyer figure, and of course I couldn't resist having my dude that does customs make a Blazing Skull figure (my favorite character, for reasons mostly due to him being batshit insane). So who is really left that they haven't repackaged for the modern era? The Angel comes to mind, despite their being an X-Man of the same name running about. The Patriot? Maybe, but which of his many costumes would you choose? I'd be down with the version that showed up in Invaders back in the day. The Challenger? Dude was featured in Daring Mystery which puts him on the level with the Thunderer, who was a dude with a fairly cool costume and a built-in amplified mic that ran around and yelled a lot, (and yes, I have a Thunderer figure, because I am a dork). Let's see, there was the Fin, a Namor rip-off that had like four appearances, the Black Marvel, who from the two strips I've seen was fairly "meh", despite having an interesting origin, (being trained by a tribe of Indians beats the hell out of being trained by a  group of "Skull-men", but I digress... )Yeah, other than the Angel and maybe the Thunderer, I think Marvel has done a pretty decent job of retconning their GA guys into the present. 

You'll note I haven't said anything about the Whizzer or Miss America, I have to say that neither is anywhere near my top-100 superheroes, I was spoiled by the two Flashes as a little kid, so if all you can do is run really, really fast, you'd best be drawn by Carmine Fucking Infantino if you want to capture my attention.  Miss America was seemingly a character that tried to cash-in on the Wonder Woman train without having any of the stuff that Wonder Woman had going for her (which, not to put to fine a point on it consisted of wearing shorts, a low cut top and featuring in loads of light B & M spanking scenes). Miss America, to give her and her creators credit used none of that nonsense and probably lost out on the audience of 11-15 year-old boys that grabbed Sensation Comics every month under the pretense of following the escapades of Wildcat, (yeah, there's a great idea for a superhero: a washed up boxer running around punching people, yeah. that'll sell millions.)

May I also interject one more time how silly it is for a superhero/villain to have a sword as his primary weapon. Look, a sword based on design has one of two functions, a short heavy blade like a cutlass is for breaking bones and severing limbs. A lighter weapon, the rapier is for running people through, ie: killing them dead as Dillinger. That leaves the hero with a weapon that can't properly be used as a weapon (see: Black Knight), or you have a homicidal maniac running people through willy-nilly, not anything that you will be building a long-term reader base around. The practical way to get around this goes back to the Black Knight V 2.0 and 2.1, have a load of other medieval-based weapons at your disposal so that the sword is an after-thought. Both the Nathan Garrett and Dane Whitman versions of the Black Knight were far more interesting when they relied on other weapons, a perfect blend of modern science with medieval weaponry. 

Edited by OSJ

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

I am thinking of Timely/Marvel GA characters that merit a figure. They surprised the shit out of me when they did a Destroyer figure, and of course I couldn't resist having my dude that does customs make a Blazing Skull figure (my favorite character, for reasons mostly due to him being batshit insane). So who is really left that they haven't repackaged for the modern era? The Angel comes to mind, despite their being an X-Man of the same name running about. The Patriot? Maybe, but which of his many costumes would you choose? I'd be down with the version that showed up in Invaders back in the day. The Challenger? Dude was featured in Daring Mystery which puts him on the level with the Thunderer, who was a dude with a fairly cool costume and a built-in amplified mic that ran around and yelled a lot, (and yes, I have a Thunderer figure, because I am a dork). Let's see, there was the Fin, a Namor rip-off that had like four appearances, the Black Marvel, who from the two strips I've seen was fairly "meh", despite having an interesting origin, (being trained by a tribe of Indians beats the hell out of being trained by a  group of "Skull-men", but I digress... )Yeah, other than the Angel and maybe the Thunderer, I think Marvel has done a pretty decent job of retconning their GA guys into the present. 

You'll note I haven't said anything about the Whizzer or Miss America, I have to say that neither is anywhere near my top-100 superheroes, I was spoiled by the two Flashes as a little kid, so if all you can do is run really, really fast, you'd best be drawn by Carmine Fucking Infantino if you want to capture my attention.  Miss America was seemingly a character that tried to cash-in on the Wonder Woman train without having any of the stuff that Wonder Woman had going for her (which, not to put to fine a point on it consisted of wearing shorts, a low cut top and featuring in loads of light B & M spanking scenes). Miss America, to give her and her creators credit used none of that nonsense and probably lost out on the audience of 11-15 year-old boys that grabbed Sensation Comics every month under the pretense of following the escapades of Wildcat, (yeah, there's a great idea for a superhero: a washed up boxer running around punching people, yeah. that'll sell millions.)

May I also interject one more time how silly it is for a superhero/villain to have a sword as his primary weapon. Look, a sword based on design has one of two functions, a short heavy blade like a cutlass is for breaking bones and severing limbs. A lighter weapon, the rapier is for running people through, ie: killing them dead as Dillinger. That leaves the hero with a weapon that can't properly be used as a weapon (see: Black Knight), or you have a homicidal maniac running people through willy-nilly, not anything that you will be building a long-term reader base around. The practical way to get around this goes back to the Black Knight V 2.0 and 2.1, have a load of other medieval-based weapons at your disposal so that the sword is an after-thought. Both the Nathan Garrett and Dane Whitman versions of the Black Knight were far more interesting when they relied on other weapons, a perfect blend of modern science with medieval weaponry. 

Silver Scorpion? Blonde Phantom? Sun Girl?