DVDVR Message Board

Action Figures, Statues, Collectibles!

Basically I wanted a thread for the other aspects of comics and nerd culture collecting because I keep getting high end toys like the MAF EX stuff or the One-12 Collective and I need people to geek out over it with. I also frequent a secondhand toy store in my area so I get a lot of weird odds and ends. At some point I must document my ugly Batman collection. 

Really pumped about the new Batman 6 inch line as it seems to have the articulation of the terrific but short lived Total Heroes line with some really good sculpts. Just ordered this set:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B079KFK6TP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Because I love the Robin and Bane. Probably getting the Harley and Batgirl as well as the Batman/Man-Bat two pack at least. The Harley actually has a better head sculpt than the forthcoming Multiverse one which is wild. 

But yeah! What do you collect?

Besides Funko POPs. There's already a thread for that. Funko DC 3.75 inch action figure talk allowed.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Basically I wanted a thread for the other aspects of comics and nerd culture collecting because I keep getting high end toys like the MAF EX stuff or the One-12 Collective and I need people to geek out over it with. I also frequent a secondhand toy store in my area so I get a lot of weird odds and ends. At some point I must document my ugly Batman collection. 

Really pumped about the new Batman 6 inch line as it seems to have the articulation of the terrific but short lived Total Heroes line with some really good sculpts. Just ordered this set:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B079KFK6TP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Because I love the Robin and Bane. Probably getting the Harley and Batgirl as well as the Batman/Man-Bat two pack at least. The Harley actually has a better head sculpt than the forthcoming Multiverse one which is wild. 

But yeah! What do you collect?

Besides Funko POPs. There's already a thread for that. Funko DC 3.75 inch action figure talk allowed.

Oh hells bells, now I'm going to have to take a bunch of pictures again as my collection of custom figures is pretty much legendary.What I don't often do is commission figures that are likely to be made by a major manufacturer. I've blown it a couple of times, as I see that they've just released a King Cobra figure and I thought he was far too obscure to ever get made. Yeah, my customs tend to be obscure super-villains or Golden Age super-heroes.

Somewhere on one of these threads a bunch of my stuff was posted, I'll have to do some searching. After all, I'm probably the only person that can boast of having the original Daredevil, Blackjack, Bob Phantom, Commando Yank, Blazing Skull, Inferno, etc. 

I still need to have one of my guys do the Black Terror and probably should have someone do the Shield and maybe Black Hood.

• Like 1

Now I still need to take pictures of:

Firefly

The Hangman

Commando Yank

Blazing Skull

Daredevil

Blackjack

Bob Phantom

Rock Python

Puff Adder

Boomslang

Sidewinder

Diamondback

Batroc the Leaper

The Unicorn

Basilisk

The Living Laser

Baron Zemo (father & son)

The Melter

The Black Knight (original)

Radioactive Man

Enchantress

Executioner

Beetle

Whirlwind

Wonderman (original)

• Like 1

Yeah, I have a thing for the Serpent Society and Masters of Evil as well as Fawcett, Nedor, and MLJ characters from the 1940s. Mrs. OSJ gets a bit irate whenever I have one done as they are generally in the $50-$60 range. I get the "When are you going to grow up and stop playing with toys?' bit... After 37 years she should have figured out that the answer is "Not anytime soon!"

Just wasted some time on eBay seeing what if anything was available in customs that I might want and didn't find anything. The Crossbones figure from SDCC is pretty cool but I'm not about to pay over $100 for it. eBay really needs to break their listings up between actual complete figures and accessories or parts, I'm looking for complete figures, not heads, hands, or capes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

Yeah, I have a thing for the Serpent Society and Masters of Evil as well as Fawcett, Nedor, and MLJ characters from the 1940s. Mrs. OSJ gets a bit irate whenever I have one done as they are generally in the $50-$60 range. I get the "When are you going to grow up and stop playing with toys?' bit... After 37 years she should have figured out that the answer is "Not anytime soon!"

Just wasted some time on eBay seeing what if anything was available in customs that I might want and didn't find anything. The Crossbones figure from SDCC is pretty cool but I'm not about to pay over $100 for it. eBay really needs to break their listings up between actual complete figures and accessories or parts, I'm looking for complete figures, not heads, hands, or capes.

Nice to see there is other Nedor fans. Love the Serpent Society figures.

1 minute ago, bobholly138 said:

Nice to see there is other Nedor fans. Love the Serpent Society figures.

I just realized that I haven't commissioned a new figure in about three years, by God, it's time for the Black Terror to join the party. Now where's a royalty check when I need one? I need a couple of you cheap bastards to buy my story collection so I can commission a Black Terror figure, I have a feeling that an attempt to raise money on Gofundme would be met with considerable indifference.

Not sure if you're looking for a Legends/Multiverse style figure but there actually is a figure of the Black Terror out.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/34119

Full line below.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/8883

Aaaand also they have the Daredevil on sale right now:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/8891

Toy prices went through the roof the past few years. We're at a point where the kind of mass market figure that used to be $5-10 is minimum $10-15. Apparently the cost of manufacturing went up as well as the cost of plastic which made prices go through the roof. Mass market toys saw a slight price increase but small run toys especially got hit since they can't distribute the costs throughout a massive production run.

For me, throw in the Canadian dollar going from par to +25-30% and toy collecting has got VERY expensive. 

Thanks Dragon!

But 4.5 inches, what the fuck are these guys thinking? Sorry, but my collection is based on Marvel Legends 5.5 or 6.0 (whatever the fuck they are) and the Black Terror as a dwarf is just flat-out wrong. Damn it, I need to e-mail my guy in the Philippines and get him cracking on the Black Terror. There's a guy I've bought from in the US who has promised a Porcupine figure which is a must-have. (I bought a custom Whirlwind figure from him for about $50 and then the mass-market figure came out about a month later.)  I would have bet money that they wouldn't do the Whirlwind, Eel, or Cobra but I have the two former and see that Cobra is available now after I spent $50 having one made. Shit, maybe they will do the Porcupine...

The 4.5 inch scale is to match with classic lines like DC Super Powers, Marvel Secret Wars, Masters of the Universe, etc. It's out of sync with most current lines but makes sense for what they were shooting for.

Outside some stuff a friend made for me years back (customizing a 3.75 inch Green Lantern into Kyle Rayner as Ion being the big one) I've never dropped the $$$ on customs, but I'm often tempted. Someone made a Secret Six custom set a few years back that's just incredible.

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

@OSJ, i badly need to see your Wonderman figure. those other ones all look fantastic! 

Okay, time to figure out how to upload photos from my wife's phone...  I owe Zimbra some cat photos as well in the Pet Photos thread. His Bruce is photogenic as hell, but so are several members of my Gang of Ten. I have some great shots of Tyrion, Waldo, Seven, and Sandor to post...

• Like 2

Batman figure from Batman: The Animated Series.

Batman from the New 52 20inch 50cm figure.

Batman based on Batman: The Animated Series nano metalfigs.

Spider-Man 1:16 scale figure.

Iron Man 1:16 scale figure from Avengers Assemble (2012).

Black Widow 1:16 scale figure from Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Most of my stuff, now relegated to my semi-finished basement to accommodate actual children's toys everywhere else in the house. I have more sacked away in the basement in bins or on top of bookshelves. I really don't buy much now. It's mostly from when I was a kid or when I was a teenager and was convinced it would be worth something someday. 

14abtz4.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

SDCC reveals are killing me. In particular between recent waves and forthcoming stuff we're just missing Raven and Aqualad for a Rebirth Teen Titans, Killer Frost and *arguably* the Atom for Orlando's JLA (the mini Ray Palmer Atom would work as a stand in since they lifted the design more or less), and Orphan/Azrael for the Clocktower team from Detective Comics. Given how close they're coming to finishing all those teams out, there better be a completing wave in 2019.