DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SUMMER 2018

Dolfan in NYC

Isn't the Spanish-speaking population of Miami almost entirely Cuban? Because Cuba's top sports are Boxing and Baseball. You never hear of a Cuban footballer. If you wanted a Spanish name, you should do that in a town with lots of Mexican Americans, like Orlando City did in a past life (Austin Aztecs).

14 hours ago, AxB said:

Isn't the Spanish-speaking population of Miami almost entirely Cuban? Because Cuba's top sports are Boxing and Baseball. You never hear of a Cuban footballer. If you wanted a Spanish name, you should do that in a town with lots of Mexican Americans, like Orlando City did in a past life (Austin Aztecs).

Short answer, no. 

Long answer...  Cuban immigrants and their descendents make up slightly over 50%, Caribbean (PR, DR, Mexico) immigrants and their descendents are about 15%, the other 35% or so are South/Central American in origin.   In total population the Latinx population makes up roughly 70% of the total population.   Additionally, of the total population, roughly 60% were not born in the US.  

There's absolutely a market for a soccer team.  Horrible mismanagement/general Florida corruption killed the Miami Fusion back in 2001, but they always sell out international games in the area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Short answer, no. 

Long answer...  Cuban immigrants and their descendents make up slightly over 50%, Caribbean (PR, DR, Mexico) immigrants and their descendents are about 15%, the other 35% or so are South/Central American in origin.   In total population the Latinx population makes up roughly 70% of the total population.   Additionally, of the total population, roughly 60% were not born in the US.  

There's absolutely a market for a soccer team.  Horrible mismanagement/general Florida corruption killed the Miami Fusion back in 2001, but they always sell out international games in the area.

Oh I remember what a lovely guy Whoreowitz was. Funniest thing was the team was killed after winning the shield and their fans never gave it back as one last gigantic fuck you.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 4:25 PM, sabremike said:

I used to think my club being named after soda was the worst name possible, but then I see all these awful pretentious Euro style names in MLS and suddenly New York Red Bulls doesn't seem nearly as bad.

You should take a gander at the names in South America. There's a few Racing's, one Boston (Uruguay), a Freaking Barcelona...

44 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

You should take a gander at the names in South America. There's a few Racing's, one Boston (Uruguay), a Freaking Barcelona...

I think a lot of those names come from people connected to those Euro clubs having been the ones who set up those South American clubs. I swear I saw somewhere that was the case for the Barcelona from Equador.

15 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Yeah, but to be fair, a lot of South American teams may have come before European teams.

Racing from Argentina, for example, was founded years before Racing Santander from Spain.

Also, what @sabremike said is true.

Jaume Roures, a co-founder of Mediapro said on Catalan radio they are negotiating for a Champions League final to take place in New York.

There has been talks about this for some years now and I think there is a possibilty this could occur.

Sure, it is a horrible idea for the clubs, not as bad as the idea of playing a LaLiga game in Miami, but I will say selfishly I would love this to happen. I would definitely head to New York regardless of the final if it materialized.

See, the World Club Championship moving around the world, that makes sense. And it has the Champion's League winner in it. But the European Champions League final should be played in bloody Europe. No further West than Iceland.

PS: NFL games in London is a different issue. Whoever wins the Super Bowl is referred to as 'World Champion' so therefore games (and indeed teams) should come from multiple countries. The Champion's League is a strictly European teams only affair. Play the Continental America's Champion's League final in New York as much as you want, that's one of the places it belongs. Putting the Euro CL Final in America is just silly. 

• Like 1

Barça and Girona have reached out to the RFEF seeking permission to play their league game on January 26 at 2:45 PM at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami...

As I've said previously, this is a horrible move and hasn't gone over well with the local supporters, but from a selfish POV, I'm stoked about it.

UEFA is apparently discussing a third club level competition, which might be starting from 2021. It's widely considered appeasment for weaker leagues, who also want to take part in European competition. The last time we had three European Cups was 1999. Back then we had CL, UEFA Cup and the Cup Winners Cup. 

1 minute ago, ReiseReise said:

UEFA is apparently discussing a third club level competition, which might be starting from 2021. It's widely considered appeasment for weaker leagues, who also want to take part in European competition. The last time we had three European Cups was 1999. Back then we had CL, UEFA Cup and the Cup Winners Cup. 

Yeah, this is interesting. I read Agnelli from Juve was pushing for it this morning.

Curious to see how some of the mid level Spanish and Italian clubs would fair against the upper table clubs from smaller unknown leagues.

Mexican fans continue their "wonderful" tradition of shouting out a homophobic slur on the goal kicks. I wish the guy who plays for Minnesota who just came out had gotten a call up, entered this game and scored the winning goal.

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Man, Spain put a whipping on Croatia. 

Wish Lucho had managed them in the World Cup and Saúl had actually gotten some minutes. Maybe things would have panned out differently...