DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SUMMER 2018

Dolfan in NYC

On 8/12/2018 at 10:41 PM, Edwin said:

As a United supporter I loved Rooney, one of the absolute greatest players to ever wear our shirt. Now that he plays for the most vile, disgusting and loathsome team in the entire history of mankind I have no choice but to hate his guts. That said this was one of the greatest plays in league history and really among the greatest I have ever seen in all my years watching the sport period.

If there is a good time for an injury, now is probably the best scenario. No tough games on paper for a few weeks and it provides a longer post World Cup break (other than rehab). And better for City to have an injury in a place of depth. 

Atleti just won the Super Cup with 4-2 against Real Madrid with golazos from Diego Costa, Saul and Koke.

I didn't get to watch the full game, but I'm sure I'll get teary eyed when I get home and get a chance to watch the celebration.

So proud of my boys.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

There has been talks about this for a couple of years now. Tebas has been wanting to get the international market growth, but nothing has been confirmed.

I can see this being successful if it's a meaningful game -- i.e.; a Madrid or Barcelona game. Unfortunately Spainards would hate it due to the 6 hour time difference and I'm not sure the clubs would like the idea of having to take an 8 hour overseas flight to play a regular league game.

La Liga will probably make one of those teams who always have to play on Monday nights give up a home match vs RM or FCB to play in Miami or NYC. 

Also, FIFA has rules that prohibit playing in other countries jurisdictions. Or had rules during the 39th game stuff a few years ago. 

That is probably what I think would happen and it would still be a horrible idea. They would have to fly overseas for over 8 hours just to play a regular league game as I mentioned before.

And if they are still in the Copa del Rey and/or Champions League, then they would have to be back in Europe quickly, so they would be even more burned out as they would have to return quickly and get ready for an even bigger game 2 or 3 days afterwards.

Doing it week one or first game after the winter break might make sense. That would negate the Champions League problem. If you did it Week one, likely RM or FCB would still be in the US. Remember, the ICC folks are part of the deal. 

That makes sense. Ticket prices are going to be ridiculous. I can see them trying to pull something close to $499 for second row tickets to watch Valencia vs. Girona in Miami.

Chievo - Juve: Was a great Serie A season opener. Chievo looked afraid to attack early on and was mostly just holding back. Once they went down a goal, they began opening up offensively and almost pulled it off the win. Cristiano started playing out as a 9 by himself up front as Allegri fielded a 4-2-3-1 and then shifted into his usual role for most of his run at Madrid on the left when Douglas Costa was subbed out for Mario Mandžukić. He looked good as a 9, but even better when he shifted onto the left. He didn't score, but came pretty close to scoring. Chievo almost pulled out the upset, but an extra time game winner from Bernardeschi put an end to that. Chievo's GK Sorrentino was my pick for MOTM. They were up 2-1 for most of the game and then Juve equalized from an OG from one of the Chievo defenders. Sorrentino got injured from an accidental collision with Cristiano and Chievo lost.

Lazio - Napoli: Another fun game, with a very good performance from Insigne who got an assist and scored the game winner for Napoli.

Barcelona - Alavés: The first half was pretty average with Alavés playing similarly to Chievo -- afraid of attacking and just holding back. Messi scored that great free kick that was posted previously and then things just feel apart for Alavés. He ended up scoring a brace and Coutinho also ended up scoring a great goal and could have completed a brace too if he had finished an easy shot he had brilliantly setup by Messi. Messi of course was MOTM and despite losing Alavés GK Pacheco looked good.

Watched some minutes of Arsenal vs. Chelsea and thought Arsenal looked really bad on both ends. They blew some clear shots on goal they had and their defense was actively bad and they were just giving Marcos Alonso endless runs along the right.