DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P. VADER

I was left unsure of what to say about this one. Maybe because it left me speechless. But I feel like I should "break character" and say something for one of my all-time favorites. So I decided to speak the thoughts I had, coherent or not.

When I learned of his death I became quiet and depressed, then said very little. It sort of shook me inside. Vader was one of the wrestlers that got me so interested in wrestling to begin with. Not since Misawa has a wrestler's death affected me quite as profoundly. It's this empty feeling, like I lost something. Like a part of my journey and a part of my childhood is gone. I knew it was coming, but somehow I still wasn't prepared for it.

I feel very negatively about his not being inducted into the WWE HoF when he was alive. I might feel a little bitter about that forever.

But I can say Vader was an easy top 10 (and honestly, probably top 5) ever for me. His feuds with Sting and Cactus Jack were big parts of my introduction to wrestling. The Superbrawl III strap match with him vs. Sting is still one of my all-time favorite matches. Maybe that's a "top 5" as well.

Oh, and course Big Van Vader will remain forever my answer to the eternal question: "Who's the man?"

• Like 3

I was searching random Vader pictures and there is some random celebrity picture tumblr thingy and this was on it for Vader

big-van-vader-wallpaper.jpg

I can't stop laughing. This will be the highlight of my day.

• Like 2

12/28/92 - Vader vs. Sting (WCW) ****1/2

Somethings just go together.  Peanut butter and jelly, hot dogs and mustard, Shakira and me, and Vader vs. Sting.  OK, before I go any further I have to address something, Jesse Ventura is wearing a Malcom X hat and Vader comes to the ring in a wave cap.  What the hell was going on in WCW in 1992?  Was Rachel Dolezal the wardrobe consultant?  Vader is one of the best wrestlers ever when it comes to looking invincible.  He starts this match by beating Sting within an inch of his life, he hits two military press hotshots, but makes the mistake of letting Sting get to the outside to catch his breath.  He sends Sting off the ropes, and Sting uses his speed and agility to hit a couple of kicks to Vader’s head before hitting Vader with a release German suplex.  Vader gets a lot of credit as a worker, but not nearly enough for some of the bumps he takes.  That is a huge dude to be taking release German suplexes on the back of his neck.  Sting hits a pescado, before getting back in the ring and hitting a DDT and a super DDT.  Vader bails to the outside and Sting follows him and tries to hit a Stinger Slash on the guard rail.  Vader moves, and the ass whooping resumes.  Vader’s punches, and clotheslines look like he’s legit trying to knock his opponent out.  He hits Sting with some of the hardest strikes you’ll ever see in a wrestling match.  Sting’s selling of Vader’s offense is phenomenal.  Sting is holding his hands up like a boxer who has taken a big shot and is just hoping he can hold out until the round ends before the referee stops the fight.  He’s not really defending Vader’s punches, he’s just trying to withstand them.  Vader being a 450 lb. behemoth, tires himself out and Sting is able to see an opening.  Sting fires back with rights and lefts before hitting a Samoan drop.  Sting heads to the top rope and hits a splash, but Harley Race distracts him so Vader can take over again.  Vader in that instance decides that he wants to kill sting and goes to the top rope and splashes him.  Sting kicks out at two and Vader goes up again, but this time Sting gets up and is able to use Vader’s momentum to turn it into a powerslam for the win.  This is a great match between two guys who are willing to take a beating in order to put their opponent over.  Sting took about 750 punches straight to the face, and Vader took suplexes and multiple moves from the top rope.  If you haven’t watched this match, go to the WWE Network and watch it now.  This is everything you could ask for in the classic fiery babyface vs. unbeatable monster trope.  I think I’d push this up to *****, I couldn’t ask for more in this match.

Vader vs. Stan Hansen (New Japan 2/10/90 - Super Fight) 

Once again the good folks at DVDVR have a different opinion of this match than Dave Meltzer.  This ranked #19 on their best New Japan matches of the 1990s and I figure I need to give it a look.  For the record I've seen this match multiple times, and I have it on DVD.  This is that match, and I'm sure most of you know what I mean by that(probably not the match I should have watched while eating).  Vader and Hansen are the roughest, toughest, baddest motherfucking gaijin of all time and their worked strikes are essentially full on haymakers.  If you like your wrestling to be full of psychology, or submissions, or wrestling moves, or anything other than ass kicking this probably isn't for you.  Hansen and Vader basically assault each other this entire match.  Don't believe me, at some point in this match Hansen hits Vader so hard that he almost loses an eye.  The psychology of this match is essentially, we're going to punch each other until one of us is unconscious.  This is pure, uncut, hoss on hoss violence.  I honestly don't know how much of the selling in this match is selling, and how much is the natural reaction of getting punched in the face by someone as large as Hansen or Vader.  This is a hard match to rate, because this is a match that would probably suck if two other people did the exact same thing.  Vader and Hansen are thankfully not just two other people.  This is probably a ****1/2 match for me.  This is like watching a YouTube video of a lion fighting a hyena.  There really isn't any art to it, but you can't turn away.  It is just two huge guys trying to take each other out in the most primal way possible.

7/12/92 - Vader vs. Sting (WCW) ****

Sting’s absolute peak is probably this run in 1992, and this match is one of the biggest reasons.  Vader is just starting his main event run in WCW, and that is some of the best big man wrestling ever.  Vader had the ability to look like the most unstoppable force in the world, but he would also bump like a mad man for his opponents.  He may have the most devastating looking offense in the history of wrestling.  Everything he did looked like it hurt and hurt badly.  Sting’s used high-speed, hit and run tactics to wear down Vader before bringing out the big guns and hitting a Samoan drop and a German Suplex.  Sting goes for a series of Stinger Splashes, but hits his head on the ring post on the second one allowing Vader to powerbomb Sting into oblivion.  The crowd is shocked, including a woman sitting in the front row wearing a three-piece, mid-drift baring, cow print, pantsuit.  This was all types of fun, but this is one of the best rivalries of all time.  Vader and Sting had great chemistry.  They went together like shrimp and grits and this match is just the start of their feud.  **** is just about right for this match, it is basically a really good appetizer setting up an all-time great meal. 

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Vader looks really uncomfortable standing next to Rude with a gun. Can't say I blame him. Maybe Rude was trying to pitch a Magnum PI reboot.

I would be packing too if I had to fly out of BWI

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I would be packing too if I had to fly out of BWI

You shut your mouth. I live five minutes away from the airport.

*sigh*

I keep my Sig in the closet in a gun safe.

• Like 4

Here we go

Issue #104 - The Wrestler of the Week was Vader (Spoilers just for the size)

Spoiler

YOUR WRESTLER OF THE WEEK IS..... VADER! 
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< 
SUPER VADER vs. NOBUHIKO TAKADA (UWFi 12/5/93, Jingu Stadium) (PETE STEIN!): 
I just have to get this off my mind:  Whoever came up with the idea of holding an outdoor show in the beginning of DECEMBER should be drawn and quartered.  What, New Japan had an exclusive on the Dome?  That said, this is pretty damn good and dramatic if not as good as their rematch (which I seem to have misplaced, hence this one).  Vader does a very cool, low-key prematch interview where he talks about how he "did not come here to look good... I came here to win."  Match starts out with a long feeling-out process until Vader drops Takada and lays in some hard slaps, then slaps on a headlock until Takada makes the ropes.  Vader continues the attack with body punches and a rear sleeper; Takada throws his kicks but Vader "isn't fazed" by them (in "shoot" terms he no-sold them =D).  Vader takes him down but 
Takada goes for the armbreaker and Vader has to take a rope-break.  Takada comes back with the kicks and there's a great shot of Vader in the corner looking like a wounded, pissed-off grizzly bear as he's taking this.  Finally he catches a kick, drops Takada, slaps Takada in a headlock, throws some shotays and absolutely CRANKS on the headlock to a huge pop.  Off a rope-break Takada comes back by kicking away at Vader's leg like he's trying to chop it down and use it for kindling. Vader takes an 8-count but comes back with a massive spear and more shotays while Takada's down, and Takada actually has to roll to the floor to escape the onslaught.  Vader gets pissed at the ref and actually slaps him here, but the ref isn't even fazed by it and the crowd reacts like, "Well!  That was different!"  Vader gives Takada two Colorado Judo Slams (read: powerslams =P), slaps on a waki and turns it into a full nelson but Takada makes the ropes.  Takada comes back with more kicks, dropping Vader and applying a choke from behind. He gets back up and throws still more kicks, then drops Vader and applies a V2 Armlock, turns it into the armbreaker and gets Vader to tap at 14:23.  Vader pulls up a stool, sits down and milks this for all it's worth... and to his eternal credit, he does such a great job selling this that when I first saw it back in '94 I really thought he'd screwed his arm up.  He even has an out for losing here since he doesn't have any experience working these kinds of matches while Takada's been working them for years.  Incredibly, the rematch is even better... and offhand I can't think of anyone else in Japan who got TWO clean wins over Vader.  'Course, JDW or someone else will surely correct me on this one. ;)  Never mind... just remembered Misawa.  =P 

Leon White vs. Rambo - 8/91- (PHIL SCHNEIDER): 
This match is from Germany and is for the CWA title. Euro wrestling is  notable for it's mat wrestling and it's stiffness, and while this match didn't have much mat wrestling it did have a whole helping of Vader potatoing Rambo. I am not sure if this Rambo is the same as Puerto Rican Rambo, Mexican Rambo, Maryland Rambo or Portland Rambo-who-Art Barr-shot-on, but he was a decent little worker, at least he was willing to stick his face right into Vader's punches. They used the round system, which can be a distraction, but was used well here, with Rambo hitting a belly to back suplex and Vader getting saved by the bell. The ending was lame, as they brawl into the crowd and Vader shoves an old guy (possibly Otto Wanz I DON'T KNOW) and gets Dqed. For a wrestling match this wasn't that special, but it was a must see ass stomping, Vader knocked IQ points off Mr. Rambo, and it was fun to watch. 

Vader vs. Kenta Kobashi (by dean): 
Hey, due to my great filing system, this was the first Vader match from Japan.  This is from the '99 Championship Carnival. We're joined with Kobashi going up for the fatter than the Head Hunter with diabetes moonsault which comes up empty.  Vader hits Kobashi's charge with a Vader attack and tosses him to the floor.  A Vader attack off the apron to the floor draws screams of panic from women in the audience.  Vader sets up Kenta on the railing and Vader Attacks his back... and then falls over him to the other side.  That was to be as evil a bump to take as Mark Henry's vertical splash on the ropes that has his slide all the way out to the floor.  Kobashi takes two splashes and kicks out.  Vader punches him in the corner, Vader attack and a second rope splash garners another two count. Kobashi holds his stomach, thinking eating the bucket of tender roast wasn't suck a hot idea.  Vader holds up Kobashi and nails him with short arm lariats sending the sweat flying like waves crashing on a rock, but they won't drop Kobashi.  Kobashi does to the body with a punch, a back kick and then work on Vader's leg with knee cap drop kicks and a dragon screw. Kobashi works an ankle lock and pulls Vader back from reaching the ropes once.  But as we all know, submission holds never work in All Japan.  Vader goes for a release german, but Kobashi rolls forward and hooks a kneebar, but Vader hits the ropes.  Vader with back fists to set up the powerbomb which gets back dropped out of.  Kobashi charges with a lariat, but Vader hits one as well and both guys are down.  Kobashi's up first and hits a body slam and moonsaults Vader for a near fall.  Vader gets up and hits an 800 pound lariat that only keeps Kobashi down for two.  Vader with a release german for a two that may have been a 3 had he gotten his body across Kobashi.  Kobashi hits a german with the same results.  Vader up with punches and a corner Vader attack followed with a lariat into the corner.  A Vader DDT gets him a two and a splash gets him another two.  Both men slap each other from their knees.  Kobashi hits a spinning chop for another near fall.  Both men up.  Vader with headbutts and a punches, Kobashi slips behind for an inside cradle which ends the match as teh time expires.  Overall, they've had better matches in the past, but we do learn one thing: The Japanese build some quality ring rails to support the weight of Vader and Kobashi on top of them. 

UWA- Big Van Vader/Fabuloso Blondy/Cien Caras vs. El Faracon/ el Satanico/ Lizmark- 1989ish MAYBE?- (DEAN RASMUSSEN): 
the Lucha Vader is the least of the Vader's if this- the only Vader avec Luchadores I have in my Cavernous collection here at DVDVR CyberHeadquarters- is any indication.  The fact he is in with (YEESH!) Cien Caras (with a mask yet!) doesn't make up for the fact that this sucked and it actually included frickin younger versions of the Still Viable In The Nine Nine Satanico AND Lizmark .  The first caida starts with Fabuloso Blondy doing a fine version of the star-spangled Banner- though he blows the  "And the Rockets red glare" section.  This was the only fun part as Vader is clueless and basically potatoes the hell out of everybody in the ring.  They all freak-out and it looks like Satanico and Lizmark try to bust him up back pretty good legit.  It kinda settles into a crappier than I'm used to Lucha match- leading up to the Vader Corner Clothesline for the first fall.  The second Caida is fun because- after a TOTALLY AAA'd tope by Faracon(Pharaon?),  Vader and Faracon (Pharaon?)  brawl into the crowd and Vader catches a FULL Fresca right upside the head and is actually kinda woozy for the rest of the caida. They do the "two guys pin the big guy but the big guy kicks out" schtickt and then Vader takes the Big Show fatguy bump and Lizmark hits a Big Flying cross-body block on Fabuloso as Satanico slaps a preposterous submission on Cien Caras and we call it a crappy caida.  The third caida is  the worst as Vader is  totally blown up by this point and can't really do anything well until the finish- which was Lizmark halfway hitting a toprope Sunset Flip with Vader killing him with his big fat keister.  I love Vader but Vader was so very not good in this match and I'm guessing any Lucha in general.  I mean, stiffness in this match was as freakish and out-of-place as his stiffness in the WWF.  Plus his style doesn't mesh well with complicated Lucha spots and it ends up looking like one of those Solomon Grundy matches you love so much.  I dunno.  He was still pretty green too.  I mean, he rules- just not here. 

The Man They Call Vader vs. Shawn Michaels - Summerslam 1996- (PHIL RIPPA): 
This was that really annoying period where Leon White was always called The Man They Call Vader since the “Big Van” part was trademarked. I’m still surprised that it didn’t start appearing on TV as The Man They Call Vader ™. This is one of , if not the best, Vader in WWF matches. The match does something you don’t see much of anymore in the era of three minute matches - It tells a story. It is the classic tale of the big, power heel vs. the hero, tiny face champion. Michaels gets tossed around like a rag doll and sells like a champ for Vader. He also gets foiled whenever he tries something like a punch or clothesline. He’s only offense is his highflying spots, like the tope suicida that you see in almost every WWF commerical. Mr. Perfect, who was doing color, gets off a great line after a particular nasty Vader suplex. “Hey Michaels, why don’t you nip up now”. I still haven’t figured out if I truly like the false finishes throughout the match. I am leaning towards liking because it worked in the context of Vader kept winning but not getting the belt and that is why he came to the arena so he will keep wrestling till he gets his belt. False finish number #1 comes after both wrestlers fly over the top rope, with Vader misses the ring apron by about 2 millimeters. Vader recovers first and gorilla press slams Michaels across the railing. For once this spot look very nasty. Michaels staggers around like he just left a Syracuse parking lot and Vader gets the countout win. Jim Cornette gets on THE STICK! and uses some Back to the Future psychology on the Boy Toy to get him back in the ring. False Finish #2 comes when Cornette throws the racket in the ring but Michaels gets it first and whacks away at everyone in sight. DQ. Cornette bitches some and Gorilla Monsoon restarts the match. They go right into the finishing sequence as Michaels hits the Sweet Chin Music which Vader barely kicks out of. Of course Vader really doesn’t kick out all that well and there is a little confusion in the ring. Meanwhile the announcers sell the fact that Vader is mean and nasty that it takes more than one superkick to do the job (pun most certainly intended). Vader nails a wicked powerbomb on Mr. Hickenbottom and goes for the Vader bomb. The crowd goes nuts because this is the move that pinned Michaels in a tag match at Capital Carnage (I think. It coulda been RAW). Cornette cons Vader into doing the moonsault instead. Well all the indecision means Michaels has time to roll out of the way and then hit his own moonsault for the win. Very good match on an otherwise lackluster card. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CastleVania Rey said:

When I learned of his death I became quiet and depressed, then said very little. It sort of shook me inside.

Its not far from how I am feeling. I have dealt with a lot of personal loss and so many wrestlers have died. But damn if my world does not feel emptier.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I was searching random Vader pictures and there is some random celebrity picture tumblr thingy and this was on it for Vader

big-van-vader-wallpaper.jpg

I can't stop laughing. This will be the highlight of my day.

The Jim Cornette & Leon White story, starring John Krasinski & Toby Jones.

• Haha 1

If this was linked earlier in the topic forgive me, but I just wanted to note the time he came to the ring on top of a fully elevated forklift and it was amazing.

This death hit me hard as Vader was one of my all time favorite wrestlers. He was always around WCW when I started watching peripherally and I recall when he got to face Sting for the belt. I was so sure that Sting was gonna win, I wasn't old enough to describe Vader as a "monster of the week" but I thought he was just gonna show up to get beat. I watched, well listened to the match via a scrambled ppv channel as it happened and remember feeling almost panicked when the Stinger Splash went wrong and Sting bashed his head on the post. When they said Vader follower it up with the powerbomb (that was Sid's move and it destroyed everyone) I didn't even wait for the three count, I knew it was over.

Still I quickly got converted to the dark side as jesus, Vader was just such an incredible specimen to watch. He might be the first bad guy wrestler to win me over.

• Like 5

I was 7 in 1992 and like a lot of youngsters then Sting was one of my favourite wrestlers. I vividly remember watching Big Van Vader beat the everliving fuck out of Sting on TV and being terrified that he was going to kill him and not in a flippant 'I'm going to kill you' way people say to each other when they're angry, I legitimately thought I was going to witness a murder. For whatever reason, hokey stuff like Papa Shango didn't scare me then but Vader scared the absolute shit out of me. 

He was the Man.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I was 7 in 1992 and like a lot of youngsters then Sting was one of my favourite wrestlers. I vividly remember watching Big Van Vader beat the everliving fuck out of Sting on TV and being terrified that he was going to kill him and not in a flippant 'I'm going to kill you' way people say to each other when they're angry, I legitimately thought I was going to witness a murder. For whatever reason, hokey stuff like Papa Shango didn't scare me then but Vader scared the absolute shit out of me. 

He was the Man.

No joke. Vader was legit terrifying in 92-93.

• Like 5

Pffff, they did that all wrong. Too respectful with the sad tinkering piano and solemn voiceover. It should've been soundtracked with a heavy metal chugachugachuga riff and some deep voiced dude shouting through all his plaudits with nothing but footage of him murdering jobbers being shown

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Pffff, they did that all wrong. Too respectful with the sad tinkering piano and solemn voiceover. It should've been soundtracked with a heavy metal chugachugachuga riff and some deep voiced dude shouting through all his plaudits with nothing but footage of him murdering jobbers being shown

Yeah, my thoughts were also that the video was light on clubberin' forearms and dudes being power bombed while the dulcet strands of Heavenly Thunder played in the background.