DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P. VADER

Found this as I was reading #165 while eating dinner in front of the laptop

Manabu Nakanishi/ Super Strong Machine/ Michiyoshi Ohara vs Big Van Vader/ Makai #11/ Makai #14: What the fuck, it's VADER!!! Ohara and SSM.  And Manabooooo!  Vader looks about like he always does except he is wearing the boss Vader in Mexico mask that wore in that match everyone has seen from the 80s. Vader still looks like Vader when the match starts too- going up for the bodyslam and being a big stiff working fat man.  I'm not sure who the Makai's are in this- but really they and Ohara and SSM are there to kill time until Vader can rest up enough to get back int he ring with Nakanishi- a brilliant bit of booking actually.  These four have a perfectly fine Southern Posse vs Cruel Connection I and II match and then they tag in Vader and Manabu.  Wrestle Land is fucking awesome.  Vader is still pretty fucking awesome in his spurts in this match.  Vader just lays in his stuff and Nakanishi is man enough to lean into all of it.  God, Vader is 900 years old and STILL does the over the top rope bump to the floor.  Manabu then pins a random Makai and we all await a singles match that appears to have never happened.  This was fun. Postmatch, Nakanishi stomps on the Wrestle Land insignia and the crowd rocks out to his crazy beat.

That was from the 8/10/17 Wrestle Land show and probably impossible to find

On 6/25/2018 at 5:06 AM, CreativeControl said:

Pffff, they did that all wrong. Too respectful with the sad tinkering piano and solemn voiceover. It should've been soundtracked with a heavy metal chugachugachuga riff and some deep voiced dude shouting through all his plaudits with nothing but footage of him murdering jobbers being shown

Watching him mow through jobbers was terrifying as a kid. Especially all the commentary about how he had broken backs left and right with the powerbomb.

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Found this as I was reading #165 while eating dinner in front of the laptop

That was from the 8/10/17 Wrestle Land show and probably impossible to find

Umm... the match took place in 2006

Whoops... only off by a decade plus. No idea where I got the '17 from, the numbers turned around backwards on the date (DEAN wrote it like the Japanese, 10/8) was what I was worried about correcting so I guess that misfired my brain. Which isn't hard to do involving numbers or, well, anything

• 2 weeks later...

I was revisiting Streetcleaner by Godflesh on my commute today. It remains as nihilistic sounding and crushing as ever, and is also the only album to make me check if my batteries were running out on my walkman way back when.

What has this got to do with Vader you ask? The entire brutality of the album made me think how alike the two are and someone really needs to do a compilation of Vader brutalising people to this track:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

the only album to make me check if my batteries were running out on my walkman way back when.

Autopsy's Retribution for the Dead EP did that to me. I wouldn't have been surprised if my Streetcleaner tape did that though (btw, Earache re-released it on vinyl last year)

• Like 1