DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P. VADER

One of my favourite wrestlers ever. Watching him come to All Japan and just beat the shit out of anything that moved was amazing.

His ability to transition style to work WCW, New Japan, UWF-i, and All Japan seamlessly was one of a kind. An absolute unique talent with an utterly insane "greatest hits" list.

35 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Don't think anyone has mentioned the feud with Mick and the Saturday Night matches. While cringe inducing now, amazing at the time. 

Yeah, that feud was Foley's idea because he knew that only Big Van Vader would be able to get the Cactus Jack Manson gimmick over as a babyface.

It worked so well that he hasn't been able to work heel as Cactus Jack ever since.  Part of the reason he assumed the Mankind gimmick when he came to WWE, so the urban legend goes.

• Like 4

Seems like it wasn't that long ago that I was watching Leon "Bull Power" White being introduced to AWA audiences. The man had tremendous presence even then, but no one would have guessed that he would become the best big man of my lifetime. RIP, big man; and thanks for all the great matches!

• Like 2

The show must go on.

EVEN IF YOUR FUCKING EYE COMES OUT OF THE SOCKET~?? WHAT THE FUCK~??

There will never ever be another dude like the Colossus of Chaos.  A living mountain of pure evil.  The greatest monster heel of my generation.

• Like 4

The White Castle of Fear vignette was so cheesy it was fucking great.

It makes me smile to watch them again and see Vader walking around a cave wearing a noble cloak made of the fur of the polar bears he probably killed by himself with his own bare hands.

• Like 1

Terrible news, Vader is at the same time a one of a kind wrestler and a total broad stroke wrestler. If you looked at him and had only the slightest knowledge of pro-wrestling you'd think that is exactly what a pro-wrestler looks like, either that or a muscle bound guy like Luger, but at the same time he never felt like that, he was Vader and Vader was unique Vader had an aura that was only his, it couldn't be replicated and even when he showed up on Raw with Coachman and was out of shape it didn't really matter because he was Vader and that aura was still there.

Truly one of the best big men of all time, possibly the best depending on how you define big man. I wasn't a big WCW fan as a kid but Vader was a guy I'd stop to watch when I saw him on. How could you not like watching him he was a monster but he was athletic, he looked unstoppable but still vulnerable at the right moments. I'm sad that WWE never gave him his due while he was alive, he should be in the HOF he should be revered as an all time great but in WWE's retelling of history they haven't given him the place he deserves and that feels wrong. 

• Like 3

The best part of my time covering Billy Corgan's Resistance Pro was that they brought Vader in and I got to see him live and up close. Even in his 50s he was the biggest baddest mother fucker in the building.

When I was a kid in a small town Vader was the myth. The boogeyman. Our little video store would get mostly WWF tapes, but every once in a while they'd get some WCW. And if I saw him on the tape it was an instant rental. Never dissapointed. He just made you believe that he could kill every man alive. Guys didn't beat him, they got lucky. It was divine intervention.

Sad to hear he passed, but his legend is forever and I'm thankful.

• Like 3

This suck to hear. I was always hoping the sick talk was simple boy who cried wolf stuff. Its a damn shame he didn't get into WWE's HoF while he was alive, particularly since it seemed to be important to him.