DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Counting to Jū - 6/19/2018

Dolfan in NYC

RUSEV NOW.   RUSEV FOREVER.

Shinsuke saying he lost because the ref wasn't counting in Japanese got a legit laugh out of me. 

I'd also like Joe-Bryan work for 30+ for the WWE Championship at Wrestlemania, please.

• Like 6

Rusev will have a world title match on Rusev Day.   Holy shit.  Hey,  who the fuck was behind that gauntlet match because it was laid out incredibly well.  

Big E looked great in defeat. 

Joe was protected via countout.  

Bryan was protected via interference.  Plus,  Miz and Bryan were kept separated outside of Miz getting the cheap W.  

That could also play into a match between the two finally..  whenever they pull the trigger on it.  

• Like 6

Halfway through Big E/Bryan I said out loud to nobody "if this is all we get I'm happy". Luckily the feed came back in after it went out for the entirety of the Sanity match due to a storm, because missing this would have really pissed me off. 

RUSEV PUTRIA, RUSEV MACHKA

On another note this was my first glimpse of the Iconics, and apparently it's just another race to the mute button...

• Like 1

My main viewing priority is still the Yankees, but I saw quite a bit of Smackdown, and it absolutely blows Raw out of the water. The only thing I could complain about if I want to is Asuka looking like an idiot again against Carmella and Ellsworth. I don't want to see Ellsworth defeated as much as I want to see him caught in a dumpster fire. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rows said:

Gonna need Bryan to chill out a bit

That Joe powerslam, yikes!

Liked the gauntlet match, but the Carmella promo irked me (at least Alexa can pull off those fake-out promos) and seeing Asuka get knocked out by a crappy superkick is frustrating.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I would be more excited about whoever Bryan’s partner is gonna be if we all didn’t know it’s gonna be Kane

I'm going to be so mad at Rippa when this happens. For the love of God, let Bryan's partner be Joe when the Bludgeon Brothers interference backfires and costs Joe a title shot.

I'd be happy to see Big Show again as long as it meant no Kane.

The Gauntlet was well done, but the first hour was as forgettable as any wrestling programming could be. Asuka looked like a dope, Becky got a win over a cold Billie Kay, Sanity's introduction was lukewarm, and Bludgeons/Good Brothers was total filler.

Good to see Rusev get a world title shot. I don't expect him to win, but it's cool to see him in this spot all the same.

Bryan vs Styles was fun and Bryan vs the World in Saudi Arabia was fun, but this was the first thing he's done so far that felt like it'd go on a pretty selective comp tape. The Big E section was just electric and there was so much weight and heft to Bryan vs Joe. Everything felt like it mattered and the finish felt like a huge deal when it was really just mid-match for a title shot on a B-PPV. I hope the guy is healthy and will be healthy because we're absolutely the beneficiaries for the fact he's wrestling again. The gauntlet match was a joy. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, El Dragon said:

The WWE books gaunlet matches insanely well when their track record on other matches suck.

Yes. Daniel Bryan vs. Jack Swagger, Cesaro and Ryback from July 2013, Sasha Banks won in July 2017, the two hour won by Braun this year and last night's.

I dug them adding a layer to (hopefully) the eventual Bryan-Miz feud without really doing anything that will lessen the impact of the eventual confrontation.  I laughed at Miz forgoing his normal entrance to sprint down the ramp like he was trying to catch the last bus out of Cleveland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Player One said:

Didn't they consider putting the women's title on Ellsworth and trying intergender matches?

'Cause I would be down with Asuka vs. Ellsworth with Asuka squashing him like a bug.

The plan, supposedly, was that Ellsworth would come out as a trans woman, so the matches wouldn’t be intergender. Either this would be portrayed sincerely, or he would be revealed as only faking in order to gain a competitive advantage. The latter obviously perpetuates maybe the most common and damaging stereotype about trans women, though I’m not sure WWE could tell an earnest version of that story either. So I really, really, really (ad infinitum) hope they don’t go there.

-Is the Bludgeon Brothers attacking Bryan a callback to their Wyatt family angst? I’m gonna pretend it is, whether anyone says so or not. 

-Echoing what everyone said about the gauntlet, and DB. He’s the best. Again. Still? Hopefully for a while.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

Is the Bludgeon Brothers attacking Bryan a callback to their Wyatt family angst? I’m gonna pretend it is, whether anyone says so or not. 

That's the first thing I thought of. I'm not a 70 year old with the attention span of a 5 year old, so I remember these details.

Guys, book it now and mark it down. I was at the show tonight and after seeing the dark main all I can say is that Miz-jitsu is gonna be a thing. Track down Jeff Hardy's sell work at being both confused and slightly "Is this shit for real? Better throwup some defense in case it isn't." Christ that was one of the best dark mains I've ever seen and Miz going old school Rick Rude is, and I hate to say it, must see TV.

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to more Nakamura vs. Jeff

That gauntlet match was great. Loved seeing E get so much time. Loved the BB attacking Bryan and Miz getting the cheap win. Rusev getting such a big victory was awesome. Can't wait for him vs. Styles. Kane seems like an obvious partner for Bryan, but can he actually do so withthe whole mayor thing going on? If not I hope Cena comes back for it.