DVDVR Message Board

WWE UK TV Series Officially Announced

RIPPA

Thumbnail version

- In addition to the UK Title, the are created a UK women's title and UK Tag Title

Tapings

Saturday, July 28, and Sunday, July 29, at the Corn Exchange, Cambridge
Saturday, Aug. 25, and Sunday, Aug. 26, as part of Insomnia, the U.K.’s biggest gaming festival, at NEC Birmingham
Saturday, Oct. 13, and Sunday, Oct. 14, at Plymouth Pavilions
Saturday, Nov. 24, and Sunday, Nov. 25, at Liverpool Olympia 

No details on how/when/where it will air

Running venues like the Olympia would make ticket costs more reasonable unlike the Royal Albert Hall shows. The Blackpool shows sold out, as did the Norwich specials. With the machine behind them and some cross promotion between Progress/ICW/OTT I see no reason why they wouldn't continue to sell out. 

Gallagher and Mastiff are great and all but there's literally about 10 guys on the scene besting them at the moment. 

47 minutes ago, Rick said:

Gallagher and Mastiff are great and all but there's literally about 10 guys on the scene besting them at the moment. 

Well, don't be shy...  let's have the list... I agree that Gallagher and Mastiff are great, but they certainly aren't in Pete Dunne's league, which is admittedly pretty high up there. 

Show hasn't started yet and we are already upset at the booking :P

For now I'm in the 'come what may'. Between this, the Saudi and Melbourne Stadium shows, the North American Championship and talks of international territories I am stoked at the sheer level of exposure so many people are going to be getting in the future.

I still think it's a little weird that they're this singularly focused on the UK, when there is literally a wrestling promotion from Japan that is moving in on the US, and doing quite well at it.  I would expect them to be trying harder to sabotage that instead.

I don't know why they are doing 2 NXTs when they could just combine NXT, UK NXT, and 205 Live so I can watch the only parts of the product I care about on one show and not have to find time to watch 3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

I still think it's a little weird that they're this singularly focused on the UK, when there is literally a wrestling promotion from Japan that is moving in on the US, and doing quite well at it.  I would expect them to be trying harder to sabotage that instead.

Never mind Japan, I can't understand at all why they're not calling it NXT Europe.

7 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Never mind Japan, I can't understand at all why they're not calling it NXT Europe.

Brexit Bomb.

I imagine they expect there to be a separate NXT Europe within the next five years.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I don't know why they are doing 2 NXTs when they could just combine NXT, UK NXT, and 205 Live so I can watch the only parts of the product I care about on one show and not have to find time to watch 3.

Because to truly do the subject justice, you would need a three-hour show.  

Considering the many hours of lower-level MMA that you and I watch (including some really awful stuff), complaining about what is actually good wrestling seems a bit mis-placed. ;-)

2 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

My NJPW fanboyism may be showing, but I think they've already demonstrated that they are pretty much bullet-proof to WWE. You could also make the argument (and I'd tend to agree), that NJPW and WWE really cater to a different demographic. I know that 60 year-old freelance writers is nobody's ideal demographic, but just to use myself as an example, I can't recall the last time that I watched an episode of RAW or Smackdown, yet I watch NJPW, NXT, and 205 Live religiously as well as finding some youtube stuff of interest and spending far too much time listening to Jim Cornette rant and rave. 

There must be someone that tunes in to watch the remarkably untalented Cass and Carmella prance around, but it ain't me.

13 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Because to truly do the subject justice, you would need a three-hour show.  

Considering the many hours of lower-level MMA that you and I watch (including some really awful stuff), complaining about what is actually good wrestling seems a bit mis-placed. ;-)

Oh, I've cut back on a lot of the lower level MMA I've been watching.  I used to watch everything I could find, but those days are long gone.  I do fondly remember watching a bunch of dudes with bad tattoos throwing 25 superman punches in a round.  My complaint is more that I want to see all of these dudes wrestle each other, more than it is about having too much good wrestling.  I just don't have as much time as I used to have.  I'm still catching up on NXT from May, so having another hour of television to keep track of is going to be hard to do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Brexit may have something to do with it, but otherwise I don't see any real reason why they would need to do a separate NXT Europe promotion.

This, as I understand it, is the next step. They'll have feeder/local promotions all over the world. It's what Shane wanted to do years ago and now that they've got steady cash tied up for the next five years, it's the next logical step. They can push different guys in different ways to different ends in Germany than they can in the UK. They can maximize their money from that huge market in a different way if they don't go with a one-size-fits-all approach. 

It also could be a TV deal type thing since they are shopping the show to UK TV stations and that is their first goal in home for the show. The theory being that say Sky Sports would want the show - it is more appealing labelled as NXT UK than Europe.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

It also could be a TV deal type thing since they are shopping the show to UK TV stations and that is their first goal in home for the show. The theory being that say Sky Sports would want the show - it is more appealing labelled as NXT UK than Europe.

They're better off keeping it on the network than Sky Sports. Viewership there is basically non-existent these days. They can't take on ITV/WOS without being on a Freeview channel at the very least. I'm guessing they're hoping these specials and the announcement will get a lot of positive press and someone will step up with an offer.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

This, as I understand it, is the next step. They'll have feeder/local promotions all over the world. It's what Shane wanted to do years ago and now that they've got steady cash tied up for the next five years, it's the next logical step. They can push different guys in different ways to different ends in Germany than they can in the UK. They can maximize their money from that huge market in a different way if they don't go with a one-size-fits-all approach. 

By that logic they would need Germany/France/Spain and on and on having their own promotions, so what is the benefit to keeping the UK separate?

1 hour ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

They're better off keeping it on the network than Sky Sports. Viewership there is basically non-existent these days. They can't take on ITV/WOS without being on a Freeview channel at the very least. I'm guessing they're hoping these specials and the announcement will get a lot of positive press and someone will step up with an offer.

I just picked Sky Sports since that is who they are currently on. I think their goal is to get on free TV and if not then the Network is the fall back plan

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

It was HHH who supposedly pushed for it back then.

Based on their appearances on the UK Tournament shows - folks are assuming this is the UK TV show roster

• Mark Andrews 
  • Travis Banks
  • Tyler Bate 
  • Joe Coffey
  • Mark Coffey
  • Joseph Conners
  • Noam Dar
  • Eddie Dennis
  • Jordan Devlin
  • Pete Dunne
  • Jack Gallagher
  • Sam Gradwell
  • Saxon Huxley
  • Amir Jordan 
  • El Ligero
  • Dave Mastiff
  • Trent Seven
  • Ashton Smith 
  • Tyson T-Bone
  • Flash Morgan Webster
  • Wild Boar
  • Kenny Williams 
  • Wolfgang
  • Isla Dawn
  • Jinny 
  • Killer Kelly 
  • Charlie Morgan 
  • Nina Samuels
  • Toni Storm

I feel like they need to add a woman or two more.

I do wonder if this means no more Gallagher and Dar on 205 Live (not that Dar had been on in awhile due to his injury)