DVDVR Message Board

W.O.W. - Women of Wrestling (New Incarnation)

They've been showing new "seasons" on their website (which are pretty much live shows that are broken down by match with added vignettes. I actually attended Season 3 back in 2013 during a Vegas trip but it didn't air on the site until 2016) for a while now. Glad to hear that they've finally secured the deal.  Mclane had mentioned the possibility previously. There are a few more indy wrestlers there now, including Hudson Envy, Santana, and Barbi Hayden but still as camp as ever.  I especially get a kick out of the vignettes. 

Crossposting this from the June Wrestling thread, sorry for the shitty quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri1aadv70og

I left it as a link as the quality is probably better on youtube as the linked video gets a huge display.

Seriously, while Caged Heat were kind of exposed when they had to do real matches, their squashes and their act were top notch for any promotion. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was listening to a WTF interview with stand up comedian Eleanor Kerrigan, she was the head waitress at the Comedy Store in L.A. for years but she was also EZ Ryder in the original WOW.

Maron does the GLOW Netflix show so they talked about it for a good amount of time. Two things I found interesting was that Joe Rogan of all people would go to the Forum tapings. Kerrigan and Joe are friends but he’s so outspoken about not liking wrestling nowadays I can’t imagine him at a wrestling show. And the 2nd thing she said she provides commentary for the internet shows. I’m curious if they use her for the AXS show or not.

• 1 month later...

https://www.f4wonline.com/other-wrestling/tessa-blanchard-signs-women-wrestling-set-axs-tv-tapings-265216

Tessa Blanchard has signed with Women of Wrestling and will be making her debut at the promotion's first television tapings for AXS TV next month.

Blanchard will challenge reigning champion Santana Garrett for the the WOW World Championship at the tapings. Blanchard will also be working as a trainer at WOW's Training Center in Southern California.

The first set of WOW tapings will take place at the Belasco Theater in Los Angeles on October 10 and October 11. WOW will begin airing on AXS in early 2019.

“Knowing the expectations of our WOW fans to see the best in women’s professional wrestling, we are elated to sign Tessa Blanchard,” Women of Wrestling owner Jeanie Buss said. “Tessa enhances and elevates our athletic roster of talent beyond measure and we can hardly wait to showcase her skills in the series set to broadcast on Mark Cuban’s AXS TV.”

Blanchard will be wrestling for WOW while also being part of Impact Wrestling, where she is the current Knockouts Champion.

“I am grateful to both Impact Wrestling and the WOW executives for working out the details to allow me to pursue my dream of competing at the highest levels within our industry,” Blanchard said. “The success I’ve experienced in the past month in winning the Impact Championship, winning in Chicago at the ‘All In’ event in front of over 10,000 people, and now signing with WOW is what dreams are made of.  My next dream to come true that will top off my year’s success will be when I beat Santana Garrett to win the WOW World Championship.”

The Women of Wrestling promotion is owned by Buss, with Mark Burnett and David McLane as partners. Burnett is the chairman of the MGM Worldwide Television Group, while McLane is most notable for developing the original GLOW series. WOW originally aired for one season as a syndicated show in 2000-2001, but was revived in 2012 and has been running shows in the Los Angeles area since then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, I watched this so that in the unlikely event that this gets a repeat showing y'all won't have to... In typical David B. McLane fashion the card starts out pretty well  and quickly descends into stnkeroo territory with the main event (advertised as a one-hour time-limit when there was about seven minutes left in the program), yeah, brings back awful memories of "We're outta time, Tony!!!" Also, if anything, not only has McLane failed to improve as an announcer in over 35 years, he's become immeasurably worse. 

Am I the only one that thinks Friday Night Fights would be improved by scrambling the order so that we lead off with LFA, follow-up with W.O.W. and then have your main event of the evening be NJPW? My thought is that fight fans will tune in for LFA and put up with W.O.W. while they wait for New Japan.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Eye Candy has a damn pretty moonsault, the ring announcer is really good, and Tessa Blanchard is too damn good for this shit.

I liked the Fire introduction video. The Beast squash went too long, but had some impressive stuff. Garrett/Blanchard should be good next week, but fuck that commentary is bad. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Eye Candy has a damn pretty moonsault, the ring announcer is really good, and Tessa Blanchard is too damn good for this shit.

I liked the Fire introduction video. The Beast squash went too long, but had some impressive stuff. Garrett/Blanchard should be good next week, but fuck that commentary is bad. 

Eye Candy is Willow Nightingale who is really talented. She's been breaking through on the east coast indies like Beyond the last few months.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Eye Candy is Willow Nightingale who is really talented. She's been breaking through on the east coast indies like Beyond the last few months.

Coolio. She looked good, but it wasn't much of a match. But the moonsault was gorgeous.

I loved this. Finding the original WOW randomly channel surfing back in 2000 was the best so I've been looking forward to this being on TV. The opening did a great job setting up the Santana/Tessa feud while the main event's pre-match video packages were great at getting over the characters/stories/history of Santana and Jungle Grrl making it feel like a bigger deal. I think Santana is great and comes off like a total star. The actual match was kept short but the chaotic ending was fun and set up a bunch of different stuff with the four involved. Hilarious commentary "Jungle Grrl and Beast are gonna go at it! We're running out of time! Santana is checking on her dad!! We'll see ya next week!"

I've always liked Barbi Hayden/Abilene Maverick and Kiera/Fire is always shining lately, they had a pretty good match. Enjoyed all the little character bits like the story behind the Beast squash, which was a lot of fun and had her looking like a proper killer. Agreed on Eye Candy's moonsault, made me think of Terri Gold's Perfect 10 in the original. Definitely looking forward to this being regular weekly viewing.