DVDVR Message Board

WWE2K19.

16 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

This game, quite frankly, is what WWE 2K18 wanted to be, but it just wasn't there yet.  Now it is.

I bought 2K18, and buying WWE games in back-to-back years sounds crazy, but that's a pretty strong endorsement. If good word of mouth keeps coming in I may have to think about getting it.

18 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I bought 2K18, and buying WWE games in back-to-back years sounds crazy, but that's a pretty strong endorsement. If good word of mouth keeps coming in I may have to think about getting it.

I've bought them all since 2K13 (except 2K15, because fuck only having 25 CAW slots), and I think this is the best one so far. You should at least pick it up during a Black Friday sale. 

What do you think it does better than previous years? I've barely touched it but the matches feel very much the same without as many pronounced bugs and the new payback system, which is pretty good. 

I wound up buying it for some reason. First time I've bought one since 2K15. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. Most matches I'm lying on the mat forever until I can reverse something. I'm guessing nearly all moves are contextually based? I say that because my moves constantly change even if I'm trying to do the same move. The animations look nice. Universe mode feels greatly improved from past versions.

Back to the animations, even if they look good, there's something that's still a little floaty to everything. Maybe I'm spoiled from watching the videos of RDR2, but when someone gets punched, there is a weight and a crunch to it. When I land a high kick with Daniel Bryan, there isn't that kind of feel that that kind of strike should have.

Showcase mode feels unfair at times. Took me at least 10 tries to beat the Miz because I would get stuck on parts like hitting a diving move onto the Miz while he's standing and facing me. I think it one match I repeatedly kept trying to land a diving move and the Miz would reverse it every time. In fact, that's my biggest problem with this mode. The CPU can keep reversing you for forever and gets reversals faster than you get them.

I later would play a match with a downloaded Kenny Omega vs Brock and that was great. Brock's stuff looks like it hurts and I survived to win.

Oh, BTW, the commentary is fucking atrocious. We've had how many of these games and the announcing is worse than ever. Cole kept calling Seth's knee strike a Pedigree. Or he would call Bryan's running knee a Bulldog. And it wasn't just once, or twice. It was every time. Every time. If that wasn't bad enough, Cole would start calling my opponent by different names. It's beyond terrible and I can't believe the programming for commentary is this awful. I hope they patch this and I hope others notice how bad this is. It's just inexcusable to play a match and hear nearly every move called wrong and hear Cole refer to my opponent by different names. Come on.

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

What do you think it does better than previous years? I've barely touched it but the matches feel very much the same without as many pronounced bugs and the new payback system, which is pretty good. 

Gameplay is a lot smoother. The lag in multiman matches is neglible. I've noticed a tiny lag in 8-man matches, but it's nothing that hinders you from enjoying it. They added a lot of cool animations, too. I was playing a match as Shayna Baszler, and I had Ember Moon in a choke hold, and Moon just flipped over and pinned my shoulders down for the count. I was so stunned by it that I couldn't kick out in time.

They also added some cool arenas--the parking lot I mentioned before, a new high school gym, an outdoor setting in Mexico, and analogs of the Tokyo Dome and Korakuen Hall.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Oh, BTW, the commentary is fucking atrocious. We've had how many of these games and the announcing is worse than ever. Cole kept calling Seth's knee strike a Pedigree. Or he would call Bryan's running knee a Bulldog. And it wasn't just once, or twice. It was every time. Every time. If that wasn't bad enough, Cole would start calling my opponent by different names. It's beyond terrible and I can't believe the programming for commentary is this awful. I hope they patch this and I hope others notice how bad this is. It's just inexcusable to play a match and hear nearly every move called wrong and hear Cole refer to my opponent by different names. Come on.

I haven't done it yet, but you can apparently mute the commentary.

Also.. (MyCareer spoilers)

When Miz is a chickenshit about defending the IC title, you create your own championship with special rules (no DQ, steel cage, submission, etc)

You lose the IC title because Bray Wyatt sets fire to your dad's van then gasses you in the locker room and you're taken to the Wyatt compound, where you fight a zombie Triple H and set fire to his house.  Your indy friend is brainwashed into a sheep of Bray's but you're saved by Demon Balor, at which point you journey to the multiverse with Matt Hardy to unlock your inner demon to vanquish Bray and save your friend.

Seriously, what the fuck else do you want in a video game?!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Also.. (MyCareer spoilers)

Hide contents

When Miz is a chickenshit about defending the IC title, you create your own championship with special rules (no DQ, steel cage, submission, etc)

You lose the IC title because Bray Wyatt sets fire to your dad's van then gasses you in the locker room and you're taken to the Wyatt compound, where you fight a zombie Triple H and set fire to his house.  Your indy friend is brainwashed into a sheep of Bray's but you're saved by Demon Balor, at which point you journey to the multiverse with Matt Hardy to unlock your inner demon to vanquish Bray and save your friend.

Seriously, what the fuck else do you want in a video game?!

Is this really in the game?  Cause, if it is, I'm buying the game tonite.  And the last next gen console i bought was a PS2, lol, so how I'd actually play the game , I have no idea.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Player One said:

Is this really in the game?  Cause, if it is, I'm buying the game tonite.  And the last next gen console i bought was a PS2, lol, so how I'd actually play the game , I have no idea.

I swear on my life, this is all actually in the game.

My vessel ended up basically being Serpentor.  Giant cobra head and all.  Apparently one of my past vessels was killed by a horrible asp.  Vanguard 1 showed me.  There are also other choices, like a polar bear and a Demon version.

Demon Balor and I beat Cole Quinn (the indy guy) and Bray at Survivor Series in an Extreme Rules match.  Afterward, Balor too sweeted me.

y8UFjI1.jpg

I am not making ANY of this up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Watching videos and the 'Big Head' option is just hilarious.  Everybody has about 10 pounds of long long hair on their head to the point  that it almost ruins watching the game.  Bianca Belair ponytail almost stretching the length of the ring.  ?

More MyCareer spoilers for awesomeness and goddammit:

After winning the Universal title from Braun in an Elimination Chamber match, Triple H brought back Evolution (with Batista and Orton) to take me down, only for me to form "The Buzzkills" with Balor and Styles.  We met in an elimination match at Fastlane, but I was eliminated very early on.  I decided to see what would happen, and lo and behold, after over half an hour of action with some awesome spots (my favorite was Styles getting caught out of the Phenomenal Forearm with a Pedigree - Balor saved the pin only to eat a Pedigree himself, then another Pedigree on Styles, but he kicked out) Styles and Balor ran the board on Evolution and we won the match.

Then Styles and Balor turned on me.  

A note I had COMPLETELY forgotten despite him having it in his hands for the entire MyCareer timeline: Styles had Money in the Bank.

A three-count later, and I no longer had the Universal title.

• Like 3

Mike, I think you're singlehandedly selling me on this game and I feel almost dirty about that.  I keep telling myself that I'm good with Fire Pro and in many ways I am.  But this has become incredibly tempting.  I know @Oyaji has it and am wondering how enjoyable the gameplay is compared to Fire Pro.

• Like 2

Sorry to maybe persuade you to put a dent in your wallet but holy shit is tower mode the best thing that's happened to these games in forever. Not touching the really great looking career mode until a half decent Teddy Hart CAW is released (how could you not play as Teddy Hart?!) but this tower mode shit is straight fire. I love the gauntlets on higher difficulty because it's a legitimate challenge, something this game has been lacking in forever. And on legendary difficulty, you can have some really wonderful matches with the CPU. It's not Fire Pro, so there is some dodgy logic, but it's still great in a completely different way. I totally see what mattdangerously was saying about this iteration. It's the version of the game 2K has been making since they took over the franchise. It feels like a complete game now. They're are still small issues remaining but they're negligible and do not ruin my experience to date. Like there is still heck of screen tearing in some of the close-up camera shots, but big fucking deal. And the DLC is still such a ripoff but I'm sure you can find suitable replacements for all of the DLC soon enough if you don't want to go down that road (sometimes... dead is betta).

• Thanks 1

Well, Sweetser's times in Career Mode plus the good reviews I came across led me to getting the game.  And you're right, tower mode is pretty damn fun.  It's been awhile so I need to get the hang of reversals again, but gameplay does feel better aside from some minor issues.  For better or worse when matching Nak against AJ he tried a Kinshasa and when that didn't work I activated the low blow so he could do it for the win.  When used right the comeback system can be pretty damn useful (and in the case of this match accurate).  And career mode so far is pretty fun though the announcer for the matches (Baron?) is really annoying during matches.  AJ Kirsch sounds great as the main guy and I swear the other BCW wrestler reminds me a ton of Maxwell Jacob Freedman.

• Like 2

Goddamn you, Sweetser.  I can barely keep up in Destiny 2. 

Why are you tempting me to resurrect Hakeem "The Machine" Albright managed by Great Power Uti for a WWE Universal Title Run?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Well, Sweetser's times in Career Mode plus the good reviews I came across led me to getting the game.  And you're right, tower mode is pretty damn fun.  It's been awhile so I need to get the hang of reversals again, but gameplay does feel better aside from some minor issues.  For better or worse when matching Nak against AJ he tried a Kinshasa and when that didn't work I activated the low blow so he could do it for the win.  When used right the comeback system can be pretty damn useful (and in the case of this match accurate).  And career mode so far is pretty fun though the announcer for the matches (Baron?) is really annoying during matches.  AJ Kirsch sounds great as the main guy and I swear the other BCW wrestler reminds me a ton of Maxwell Jacob Freedman.

You're not the only one. I got a big MJF vibe from the other BCW wrestler.

I'm still liking the game, but I haven't played a tower mode yet. I keep messing with Showcase and My Universe. The amount of CPU reversals really needs to stop. It's making Showcase a huge pain in the ass.

• Like 1