DVDVR Message Board

MITB 2018 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

While I think we can all agree that Asuka may be a top worker because everyone seems to have their best match with her as the common opponent, I think everyone else bar Carmella, Lana or Tamina is around the same level in non-Asuka matches. 

There used to be serious talk about Sasha as one of the best workers in the world when she was in NXT but that's been proven to be very premature and very hyperbolic thought. And while she might pull out an above average match once in awhile, to me that just makes her a B surrounded by a sea of B-minuses.

The thought Alexa is putting up wrestlecrap matches every week just seems very silly to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I already pointed out that Naomi is an example of someone who did come out of feuding with Alexa for the better. She held her own against her on the mic, beat her 3 times, twice for the title and didn't trade wins, she was more over and the champ afterwards. Meanwhile, I can't think of anyone who ever came out of feuding with say, Bayley, better than before? But then I don't think Bayley has had a good match since Takeover Brooklyn. I just don't see how Alexa/Asuka from 1/1/18 RAW was not a good match (or Alexa/Charlotte Survivors or Alexa/Sasha Summerslam), but especially thought the Asuka match was fantastic.

Alexa/Charlotte was terrible. Bayley did reasonably well with every opponent she had when she was champ in NXT. No one came out of feuds with her worse than going in. The matches with Bayley were first time Carmella and Alexa showed they could even be remotely decent in the ring.

Just throwing this out there, but I don't think Alexa is bad. I do think she is rather average most of the time and hasn't come close to being consistent enough to get the push that she has gotten. I don't think Carmella is bad either. I do think that like Alexa she has been overpushed, and her current reign has her working against her strengths since she hasn't really developed enough elsewhere to warrant being champ.

3 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

The thought Alexa is putting up wrestlecrap matches every week just seems very silly to me.

It's not silly.  Basic bumps are difficult for her.  She damn near blew out her knee at WrestleMania because she was afraid to take a bump stomach first.  I can see when someone blows a move with a high difficulty but she's blowing stuff that you learn first day.  

This isn't exclusive to Alexa. I don't think Carmella has any business carrying a division either.  I thought Enzo was completely terrible and had no business carrying 205 Live.  I get that with WWE you have to factor in promo abilities,  that's why I felt Alexa had a lot of potential in the first place.  In WWE you have to be able to cut a promo.   Lashley's promo last night was horrific. 

But for me..  it's not just promos that sell me on a match or storyline.  I need the match to at least be good..  I'm still watching for the wrestling. If i know a match has no chance of being good I'm not going to be wanting to see it no matter how good the promos were. 

• Like 3

So, I've gone back and watched a few random women's matches from the last couple years, and one thing I've noticed is that both Bayley and Sasha have completely lost their footwork. As someone who teaches unarmed self defense, you can throw a punch as hard as you want and be as strong as Strowman, but without a good base, you're lost. They look uncoordinated and clumsy, and that wasn't the case in nxt. Becky's coordination has diminished to some degree, too, but nowhere near as badly as Sasha and Bayley. I think for Bayley, it would be as easy a fix as getting her onto smackdown where she can get a fresh start with some new opponents. Get hr confidence back. She's a good bumper. 

Alexa is largely, imo, a victim of being called up too soon. She has a serious athletic background, and you can see it in how she moves in the ring, but she almost seems afraid to commit totally to bumps. That's a failure of both herself and the people that put her on tv without her having had enough training. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It's clear that neither Asuka or Nakamura are going to treated any better than midcard acts. 

You're absolutely right. This year's Royal Rumble winner, who has been in the world title picture for several months now, is a total midcarder. 

This is still hilarious. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I already pointed out that Naomi is an example of someone who did come out of feuding with Alexa for the better. She held her own against her on the mic, beat her 3 times, twice for the title and didn't trade wins, she was more over and the champ afterwards.

You left out Alexa moved over to Raw after dropping the title to Naomi. So there was no way for her to win the feud. Actually with the way they push her now, she would have just vacated it. 

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

What I'm finding even better, although I'm working from memory, is that I can swear the exact same arguments are being leveled against Alexa this year that were leveled at Charlotte last year, by the same people.

Not by me. I thought the PPV streak was stupid but I think she has a lot of ring presence and is good on the mic relatively.

2 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

There used to be serious talk about Sasha as one of the best workers in the world when she was in NXT but that's been proven to be very premature and very hyperbolic thought.

This board had people saying Bayley was better than Rey Mysterio. 

48 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

You're absolutely right. This year's Royal Rumble winner, who has been in the world title picture for several months now, is a total midcarder. 

6 world title matches,  a heel turn,   no wins and now what?   I notice you left Asuka out of your post.  

• Like 1

This is ridiculous.

Bigger picture is that they booked themselves into a corner, and did well to get themselves out of it. Would have made Nia look bad losing to someone in their first match, even if it was Ronda Rousey. Too early for Ronda to have the belt, and you probably need to make allowances for the possibility/probability that she was not going to be 1/10th as naturally good as she was in that match.

The end result is protecting both from dropping a fall they can't afford to, gives Alexa something to do as the cowardly heel champion holding on to her title with people invested in seeing either Nia or Ronda completely destroy her. Far more interesting storyline than just a redo of Carmella holding onto the briefcase and teasing a million failed cash-ins. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

6 world title matches,  a heel turn,   no wins and now what?   I notice you left Asuka out of your post.  

Also Rumble winner, streak intact until she had to face the only female they protect (remember when she beat Alexa? Clearly not), lost ONE time via a bullshit finish to Carmella. But sure dude, she's clearly fucked forever. 

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

Also Rumble winner, streak intact until she had to face the only female they protect (remember when she beat Alexa? Clearly not), lost ONE time via a bullshit finish to Carmella. But sure dude, she's clearly fucked forever. 

Her losses are up to about 3 or 4 now and she has no direction so I feel confident in saying she is just another person on the roster at this point. 

• Like 2

Some people just want to give WWE too much credit, like Asuka losing now is all part of some long game where she ends up winning the title. These are the same people that will tell you Daniel Bryan's road to the title was the same long game instead of an audible being called. This company has missed far too many layups to get any kind of benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 5

Oh, I'm not saying that the booking is worth a shit - it almost always sucks. I just don't think the sky is falling. For years on this board people have said things like "______ cannot be salvaged," but almost any wrestler can be easily salvaged in a short period of time with decent booking. Just because Asuka isn't following through with everyone's fantasy booking of "be undefeated forever until facing Ronda at WrestleMania and winning and continuing to be undefeated forever" doesn't mean they've destroyed her. The hyperbole is ridiculous at this point.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What's the bigger picture to Ronda defeating Alexa?   I have no problems with Ronda. I want to see good matches and Alexa hasn't provided that.  

There is no bigger picture anymore. Everyone on the main roster is an interchangeable cog, save for Brock Lesnar, that will never be bigger than the WWE name and it's all a series of all moments that aren't epic, because nothing is organic. It's all forced and some are beaten into submission to accept it.

3 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

For years on this board people have said things like "______ cannot be salvaged," but almost any wrestler can be easily salvaged in a short period of time with decent booking. 

Therein lies the problem.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 6:06 AM, DreamBroken said:

I already pointed out that Naomi is an example of someone who did come out of feuding with Alexa for the better. She held her own against her on the mic, beat her 3 times, twice for the title and didn't trade wins, she was more over and the champ afterwards. Meanwhile, I can't think of anyone who ever came out of feuding with say, Bayley, better than before? But then I don't think Bayley has had a good match since Takeover Brooklyn. I just don't see how Alexa/Asuka from 1/1/18 RAW was not a good match (or Alexa/Charlotte Survivors or Alexa/Sasha Summerslam), but especially thought the Asuka match was fantastic.

The highlight of Bayley's WWE tenure is probably her 2/13/17 Raw main event with Charlotte (and her match with Alexa at Payback is underrated because of the shambles Extreme Rules was), but she's definitely become a less consistent and confident worker in general, sadly.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2018 at 9:06 PM, DreamBroken said:

You didn't like Sasha Banks vs. Bayley at NXT TakeOver: Respect, October 2015?

I liked all the Sasha Banks vs. Alexa Bliss matches at Great Balls of Fire, SummerSlam and two weeks later on RAW.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RIShane said:

The highlight of Bayley's WWE tenure is probably her 2/13/17 Raw main event with Charlotte (and her match with Alexa at Payback is underrated because of the shambles Extreme Rules was), but she's definitely become a less consistent and confident worker in general, sadly.

Bayley retaining the WWE RAW Women's Title at WrestleMania XXXIII was the highlight as it happened at WrestleMania. Match quality? Definitely the two Sasha Banks matches in NXT 2015. I've always preferred the NXT TakeOver: Respect match to NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Bayley retaining the WWE RAW Women's Title at WrestleMania XXXIII was the highlight as it happened at WrestleMania. Match quality? Definitely the two Sasha Banks matches in NXT 2015. I've always preferred the NXT TakeOver: Respect match to NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn.

Moment aside, I feel the Wrestlemania XXXIII match needed a few more minutes to be great, it feels pretty rushed after the Nia elimination while still having some good moments.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RIShane said:

Moment aside, I feel the Wrestlemania XXXIII match needed a few more minutes to be great, it feels pretty rushed after the Nia elimination while still having some good moments.

Yeah, it was rushed with the elimination stipulation. Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch from WrestleMania XXXII the year before smoked it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Yeah, it was rushed with the elimination stipulation. Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch from WrestleMania XXXII the year before smoked it.

As did Charlotte/Asuka this year. But yes, the WM 32 match holds up very well (its even better in its alternate 'Wrestlemania Theater' presentation on the Network), and is such a historically significant match.

• Like 1