DVDVR Message Board

MITB 2018 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

10 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

What, you mean Carmella isn't a monster heel who is suppose to act like Asuka's strikes are pitiful weak blows that barely phase her?

This is what frustrates me so much about the Carmella push, besides the fact its happening at all. It'd be perfectly fine having Carmella just be a chickenshit heel who cheats to win and then crows about beating her opponents anyway, which would be an approach that plays to her strengths, but WWE is instead trying to simultaneously present her as a strong wrestler, which is laughable given her lack of in-ring talent and the opponents they're having her beat.

• Like 2

Asuka hasn't dominated anyone on the main roster. It was the same when she wrestled against Alexa. She gets her butt kicked then pulls out the submission finish. WWE is going to have heels work over their opponents regardless.

7 minutes ago, Rows said:

Asuka hasn't dominated anyone on the main roster. It was the same when she wrestled against Alexa. She gets her butt kicked then pulls out the submission finish. WWE is going to have heels work over their opponents regardless.

It's not the fact Asuka didn't dominate anyone, it's more the fact Carmella didn't stay down for anything she got hit with. She just pops right up. It's really annoying. Asuka hits an entire flurry of big offense and Carmella rolls out of the ring and walks around looking annoyed. What the hell is that? At no point did Asuka look like she was on the verge of winning because of how bad Carmella's selling was. It just makes everything look bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most of the time she was popping right up for Asuka to hit her with the next move. There's the part where she takes a german but has to stay upright for Asuka to give a hip attack right after. Instead of just going with the German on its own. It looks like a selling thing and more like a "This is rehearsed to hell and she's setting up for the next spot" part. Womens ladder match had some of that too.

2 hours ago, RIShane said:

This is what frustrates me so much about the Carmella push, besides the fact its happening at all. It'd be perfectly fine having Carmella just be a chickenshit heel who cheats to win and then crows about beating her opponents anyway, which would be an approach that plays to her strengths, but WWE is instead trying to simultaneously present her as a strong wrestler, which is laughable given her lack of in-ring talent and the opponents they're having her beat.

Before she got the title she was doing this. Go back and watch her interactions with Asuka at the Women's Rumble or the MMC. She clearly wanted no part of Asuka in an actual fight. It was fun character work. That all changed when she got the title.

As for Alexa's mystery overpush, whenever she's on TV that isn't wrestling content, like her "my kid is a WWE  Superstar" or the Sheamus workout thing, the word "driven" keeps being used to describe her. Sheamus mentioned repeatedly how "Driven" she is. And I wonder if, in a company run by people who consider themselves to be "driven," if that trait stands out to the front office to the degree that they see her as more than she is. It was one of the things Vince kept saying about John Cena. How internally motivated and driven he is. I like Alexa. I think her character work is top shelf, and most of the things she does in the ring make sense in terms of her persona, but the bumping thing is an issue, and for whatever reason, the girl with what are probably the smallest closed fists in the entire company throwing as many punches as she does just drives me absolutely insane...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Raziel said:

I like that everyone wants their favorite to be Ronda's SummerSlam sacrifice and turning Alexa into the board's Roman while not looking at the big picture.

And everyone more pissy at Alexa's heelish title theft than Carmella's domination of Asuka.

Carmella has already shown to be shit vs Charlotte last month. She is also on the B show.

Apparently Ronda's singles debut was simply to get Alexa over. 

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Before she got the title she was doing this. Go back and watch her interactions with Asuka at the Women's Rumble or the MMC. She clearly wanted no part of Asuka in an actual fight. It was fun character work. That all changed when she got the title.

As for Alexa's mystery overpush, whenever she's on TV that isn't wrestling content, like her "my kid is a WWE  Superstar" or the Sheamus workout thing, the word "driven" keeps being used to describe her. Sheamus mentioned repeatedly how "Driven" she is. And I wonder if, in a company run by people who consider themselves to be "driven," if that trait stands out to the front office to the degree that they see her as more than she is. It was one of the things Vince kept saying about John Cena. How internally motivated and driven he is. I like Alexa. I think her character work is top shelf, and most of the things she does in the ring make sense in terms of her persona, but the bumping thing is an issue, and for whatever reason, the girl with what are probably the smallest closed fists in the entire company throwing as many punches as she does just drives me absolutely insane...

In a sense it parallels how Alexa went from consistently cheating to win (on SDL) to suddenly being strong enough to win legitimately (on Raw).

The idea of WWE being attracted to "driven" performers is an interesting one. HHH's recent speech on Charlotte Flair at the FYC event may also give some insight into what qualities are most valued.

8 minutes ago, Victator said:

Apparently Ronda's singles debut was simply to get Alexa over. 

Now that we have seen Alexa and Ronda face off on RAW, it makes more sense why they will use her vs Ronda. There's no other woman in the division that could so convincingly (1) Turn a crowd against herself within moments, and (2) Insult Rousey until she goes all Steve Austin on everyone in sight. 

Plus, losing the feud to Ronda won't hurt Alexa. It would likely hurt some of the others.  

Down the road (Rumble 2019, maybe?), she can feud with Charlotte. A heel-turn writes itself, with Charlotte being upset at all the attention RR gets. "I'm supposed to be the golden girl, chosen one, etc." Ronda needs more time to train, and they may be able to put on a killer series of matches next year. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Victator said:

You stay optimistic. Mini H doesn't lose feuds.

:lol: You may be right, but I will stay optimistic. Also, I might start calling her "Mini H". 

Ronda's not just any Deever for Mini H to run under, er, over. I suspect they're paying a fortune to her (if nothing else, the Joan Jett song likely wasn't cheap). 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

The sudden hyperbolic turn on Alexa on this board is hilarious. She's just not that bad?

Its not been sudden with me. I've been shitting on her for two years. 

She is not good or charismatic enough to justify her push. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Raziel said:

And everyone more pissy at Alexa's heelish title theft than Carmella's domination of Asuka.

Personally I've kind of given up on everything related to Asuka.  We talked about her losing at WM and then how they did nothing with Charlotte after she ended the streak,  it all ended up being completely meaningless,  they just wanted to end the streak because they are lazy fucks.  It's clear that neither Asuka or Nakamura are going to treated any better than midcard acts. 

What's the bigger picture to Ronda defeating Alexa?   I have no problems with Ronda.  I want to see good matches and Alexa hasn't provided that.  

While Alexa does win feud blowoffs most of the time, she actually loses very often. Prior to MITB, she had won two matches on TV in 2018 (a 10 woman tag and a MITB qualifier triple threat - no singles matches) and one PPV in the Chamber, while she tapped out clean to Natalya last week, lost to Ember the week before that, got pinned by Ember in her Raw debut, lost twice to Asuka, etc and of course back to back PPV losses to Nia. For everyone that Alexa has beat, every single one of them has beaten her too while she never beat Asuka or Charlotte like Carmella has when they were considered the strongest pushed.

• Like 2

Nobody questioned if she has lost, they said she doesn't lose feuds and nobody comes out of a feud with Alexa better off. 

At least since she moved over to Raw. 

I don't think she is a terrible wrestler. By the old bikini model scale she is great. Even now, I don't think she really worse than most of the overhyped women. But she is not good enough to justify how she has been pushed the last two years. Then you come on here and you have men gushing over what a great promo she and how expressive she is, I don't get it. 

But most of it is not her fault. It is just shitty 2002 Triple H booking. 

3 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Shut up, you. Alexa doesn't bust out the seven star classics like Naomi can! 

Naomi is better than her but I find it funny how you leave out Asuka, Sasha, Ember, Becky and everyone else who is miles better than Alexa is.  We all have preferences.  You like goofy faces.  I like wrestling matches. 

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Naomi is better than her but I find it funny how you leave out Asuka, Sasha, Ember, Becky and everyone else who is miles better than Alexa is.  We all have preferences.  You like goofy faces.  I like wrestling matches. 

While there are levels to this, outside of Asuka, all those women have churned out matches of very similar quality to anything Alexa has done recently. Where are all these blowaway matches Ember, Becky, or Sasha have had that didn't occur in NXT or over a year ago that are far and way above Alexa's matches?

Hell, Asuka was involved in the worst match on the ppv so I'm not sure she's that far above Alexa these days either. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Hell, Asuka was involved in the worst match on the ppv so I'm not sure she's that far above Alexa these days either. 

I think there's a pretty big difference in quality of an Asuka/Charlotte match or Asuka/Sasha match than anything Alexa has ever done.  I'm not going to hold the Carmella match against Asuka.  AJ Styles couldn't get much out of Jinder Mahal.